Grand Prix 2016 Spanish Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

And so, the F1 Circus returns to its traditional European opener in the outskirts of Barcelona for the 48th running of the Gran Prix de Espana, with 25 editions having previously been held at the Circuit de Catalunya. The track has remained relatively unchanged, barring the addition of a chicane before its speedy final turn in 2007, and is home to one of the sports most iconic images as Nigel Mansell and Ayrton Senna battled just inches from each other down the pit straight during the inaugural race there. More recently it was the scene of the magically bizarre saga of Williams ending its victory drought in 2012 only to have their garage erupt into an electrical fire shortly after the champagne was popped.

Mercedes remains the dominant force in Formula One with Nico Rosberg riding high and putting himself in legendary territory on his current win-streak. The tides have well and truly turned since the Austin meeting last year and the man seems destined to follow in his father's footsteps once again in his quest to capture the World Driver's Championship. Several other outfits have reason to be pleased as the cars return to base. Haas (Grosjean) overcame a dismal showing in Shanghai to once again find their way solidly into the points. Renault have shown themselves capable of putting points on the board as well, and McLaren finally seem poised to make themselves relevant again.

Others may not be so thrilled with recent developments. Although Kimi Raikkonen found his way onto the podium in daylight for the first time since 2013, Ferrari seemed closer than ever in China, only to be further back from the Silver Arrows again in Russia. Sauber continue to look hopeless and it's hard to see how morale is going to pick up in that camp anytime soon. Esteban Gutierrez again showed himself to be unfit for the position of Grand Prix driver. And its hard to ignore the trials and tribulations of Car 44.

Will we finally see a Lewis Hamilton resurgence in Spain? There's a long haul to go in 2016 yet, with this race marking the (nearly) quarter-mark in the campaign. One has to believe that things will come good for Lewis at some point and though his opening four races have been messy, 57 points is a respectable tally considering the dramas involved. Barcelona is by no-means a Hamilton favorite, although he has managed 5 podiums with a win in 2014. At the very least, he'll be hoping to have a clean weekend with regards to reliability.

Truth be told, Formula One could use a non-Merc victory, and this track has given us 9 different winners in the past 9 years, so who knows? Why not watch and see?

barcatemplate.jpg

Bill Boddy I will but to be honest he did not do enough to win when he got close to MAx

It was clear that the Red Bull was a fair bit quicker round the last corner and had the advantage of more grip giving better acceleration. It gained almost as much by this as it lost by DRS.

Dreams come true for Max. Great drive. I have some Dutch family who will be partying over that result.

Verstappen could provoke different emotion.
But it is fact that result of his first race after transfer to Red Bull is fenomenum.
Some his luck does not change the result
Congratulation him and his fans

Bill,
I think he did lift off but once the traction was lost on the grass had no chance to slow down going sideways whist Rosberg was braking for the corner.
One I would like answered is why Rosberg stayed on the inside of the next corner ? Surely he saw Hamilton in his mirrors go onto the grass ? Wouldn't it have been easier and safer for him to move back over to the racing line away from the accident he has just caused ?

I reckon that was about two and a half seconds after Hamilton went off the grass. Rosberg may have been at fault but it was Hamilton who actually hit him when lifting off would have slowed his car sufficiently. I am sure that the stewards will have the data to be able to figure out who did what.

I can assure you, you go a lot quicker on the grass at that speed than a car braking on tarmac, once out of line on the grass, you will be more out of line when you hit the tarmac. Possibly the only time a driver has escaped a situation similar was Mansell in a Ferrari when he did a full 360 half on the grass and nearly overtook the offending car as he regained the circuit not losing time or position

Spinodontosaurus Hamberg rufus_mcdufus

You know Ricciardo could be Vettel's teammate next season because he 's shown the first sign of realising he's no longer Red Bull's golden boy and got screwed out of the race today

Wrong strategy call for Ricciardo?
Fourth-placed Daniel Ricciardo blames Red Bull team strategy for denying him a chance of victory.

He says: "It is mixed emotions at the moment. We were leading then we got pulled to a three-stop strategy when in the lead and we then had to pass three cars. That was not the (original) plan.

"In hindsight it was the wrong thing to do and maybe during the race it seemed a good thing to do. To not be on the podium sucks. The puncture at the end was salt in the wounds. Seb (Vettel) and I were fighting hard but there was no contact.

"I don't want to come across as a bad sportsman. Whatever happened on track, Max crossed the line first. Sure, it is every man for himself and I'm bitter, but not at Max, he did what he had to do, but I'm bitter at the situation."

I just hope he does not get the luck that Mark Webber has

Bill Boddy I just don't think Raikkonen did enough to win or work a way to get past Verstappen...however its about time someone demands overtaking be made more easier at Barcelona because it was impossible to overtake even with DRS

Yup, when he wasn't close to anyone or anything. Just 'cos we needed to see a Spaniard.

Back
Top Bottom