Grand Prix 2016 Mexican Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

Donald Trump wanted them to build a wall but instead they rebuilt the Autodromo Hermanos Rodriguez in Mexico City, and I'm mightily pleased they did. The race last year was pretty top notch, the Formula E race here was pretty top notch and the fans were amazing at both. Why shouldn't they be? They have their own hero to cheer on in Sergio 'Checo' Perez (oh and Gutteriez for now) and he usually puts on a show. The track lends itself to good racing and I'm hoping we see a good one this coming weekend. We certainly need something to wash the taste of dull Austin from our mouths. The US Grand Prix was pretty much like ordering your favourite ale only to take a giant swig and find out it was off. It did see a home win for American driver Lewis Hamilton (Yes he's officially American now. Apparently they got him in a swap deal for Scherzinger and Will.I.Am. It was a bad deal and personally I blame David Cameron) which is good news for us because it put him back in a good mood and therefore up for getting back in the championship race. Monegasque driver Nico Rosberg though is still in smug face mode as all he has to do it finish 2nd at every race which doesn't seem to be too much of a problem. Having said that if he does win the title this way the talk will be he doesn't deserve the title (it started on Sky this Sunday) so maybe he needs to go all out to win. Having said that if he does he might crash out and not win the title. Oh its catch 22!

Hamilton's savior might be the ever rising Red Bulls. Max 'I'm not here to finish 4th' Verstappen has really been flying of late and, whilst my comedy side wants him to finish 4th, has a real shot at beating one of the Mercs. Another driver who equally has this chance is Danny Ric who has responded to the Verstappen challenge fantastically. If next year really is an aero formula, and Red Bull are at the front, I can't wait for Verstappen vs Ricciardo to get tasty. Having said that Ricciardo might be a bit distracted this weekend. Apparently he went to the clinic yesterday and discovered that he has a serious foot infection and now has to ring up everyone who has drank out of his shoe and tell them to get themselves tested.

What I think everyone is probably hoping for this weekend is Sergio Perez getting a podium. I think the place would go bonkers. Its not a complete impossibility because Sergio showed last year he gets Mansell type people power round this place and he is actually in good form. Expect some kind of smart 'go long' tyre strategy from Force India. I'd also love to see Carlos Sainz repeat his performance in Austin because it was pretty much like watching your mate out drag a flashy Merc in his mums Fiat Punto. To be honest the Punto might have more horsepower than that old Ferrari engine. As always I look forward to the Fernando Alonso radio comedy hour. He gave us a Texan 'yeehar!' at the end last time out, will we get a Mexican 'Areeber!' this time out? Probably not. We'll prob just get more moaning about the car being slow. Starting his own rival angry radio show is Jolyon Palmer, who is get increasingly frustrated of outpacing KMag in quali and ending up behind him in the race. Apparently being angry with the team you want to re-sign for will solve this.

I haven't mentioned Ferrari yet because I don't really know what to say. Both drivers seem to be on fairly good form and the car seems to perform at times but somehow they always end up with a 75 place gird penalty for Vettel and Kimi rolling backwards down a hill into the pit lane. Will all this bad luck and bad tactics disappear and everything comes together for a perfect Mexican race? Probably not, but it'll be fun to see how fate/the team conspire to throw away a decent result this time.

So thats Mexico served up with sourcream and salsa dressed up in a sombrero and every other slightly offence cliche that will be probably be said by Ted Kravitz in the pitlane this weekend. I feel kind of positive about it. At least the venue looks good.

Last edited:
Ideal Lap (sum best sectors) in the Qual:
Qual – No – Driver – Qual Result – Ideal Lap – Flaw
1 - 44 - L.HAMILTON - 01:18,704 - 01:18,420 - 00,284
3 - 33 - M.VERSTAPPEN - 01:19,054 - 01:18,780 - 00,274
2 - 6 - N.ROSBERG - 01:18,958 - 01:18,951 - 00,007
4 - 3 - D.RICCIARDO - 01:19,133 - 01:18,954 - 00,179
7 - 5 - S.VETTEL - 01:19,381 - 01:19,029 - 00,352
5 - 27 - N.HULKENBERG - 01:19,330 - 01:19,330 - 00,000
6 - 7 - K.RAIKKONEN - 01:19,376 - 01:19,376 - 00,000
8 - 77 - V.BOTTAS - 01:19,551 - 01:19,419 - 00,132
9 - 19 - F.MASSA - 01:20,032 - 01:19,828 - 00,204
10 - 55 - C.SAINZ - 01:20,378 - 01:20,101 - 00,277

Verstappen in third could be entertaining. As for Vettel, I imagine that his days at Ferrari may be fewer than he imagined.

Verstappen in third could be entertaining. As for Vettel, I imagine that his days at Ferrari may be fewer than he imagined.

Good race to say that then Titch. ;)

Is it going to be Verstappen on the podium followed by Verstappen handing over the trophy?

I think Lewis was a bit lucky that he didn't get a penalty after his outing in the first lap.
I can understand Rosberg not getting one, because he was kinda pushed off the circuit by Verstappen.

But Lewis neither gained or lost position, nor did he impead anyone, so what would he have been penalised for ?

But Lewis neither gained or lost position, nor did he impead anyone, so what would he have been penalised for ?
If he would have stayed on the track, I'm pretty sure he wouldn't have stayed in first position. So he gained by taking a shortcut.

I think Lewis was a bit lucky that he didn't get a penalty after his outing in the first lap.
I can understand Rosberg not getting one, because he was kinda pushed off the circuit by Verstappen.

I tend to agree; there were lots of cases in lap 1 where drivers could have had a penalty:
  1. Hamilton for cutting out the entire first chicane
  2. Rosberg for holding his place by going off the track at the first corner
  3. Verstappen for hitting Rosberg and forcing him off the track
  4. Gutierrez could have had a penalty for hitting Wehrlein
  5. Sainz could (did) get a penalty for crowding Alonso off the track.
The one that I thought was most likely to be punished (based on recent history) was the Rosberg case...

I think as soon as a VSC was signalled it put an end to any thoughts of Hamilton being penalised.

As for Verstappen / Rosberg, If there had been no contact then I think Rosberg would have been told to move over, as he was bumped pretty hard, I think they saw enough to give the benefit of the doubt to Rosberg.

It is strange that you doesn't see difference between situation with Hamilton and Verstappen ...
It is clear that Red Bull and Hamilton's personal haters have alternate view.
But stewards saw difference.

Last edited:
As could be expected Verstappen feels that he is being persecuted for racing. He ignores the fact that he clearly hit Rosberg at the first corner, that he performed a reckless manoeuvre on Rosberg which could have changed the WDC and that he followed that by going off the circuit then came back on, having caused Vettel to brake hard to avoid him, then did not surrender the place which he had kept by his illegal actions.

Still, it did mean that there was some action in the race.

Mexican Grand Prix: Max Verstappen says he is 'not allowed to race' after penalty

Back
Top Bottom