Poll 2016 Japanese Grand Prix Out Of Ten

How did you rate the 2016 Japanese Grand Prix Out Of Ten

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
F1 should really take a look at how they do things in the WEC. Drivers of slower cars in the WEC are actually instructed to stick to their racing line, and the onus is ALWAYS on the faster drivers to do their own overtaking. Removes any possible misunderstandings. While it's more of a necessity in WEC because of the vast speed differences between the different categories it would still make for better racing in F1.

Or rather they should revert to their original function i.e purely informative. Still blue flag: Car behind you. Waved blue flag: Car trying to overtake you. Without any distinction between backmarkers or leaders. Purely informative and in no way compulsory.

Purely informative would be no good. That would just end in endless accusations of backmarkers selectively moving over for some drivers and not for others depending on interteam politics. (The limit number of engine suppliers make this more relevant than in the past.) I guess the opposite of the current rule, "if a blue flag is waved, a driver must stick to his/her racing line without irregular deviations", could work and be sufficient (although it would be a bit subjective to police).

No. markers.

I think comparing eras is somewhat silly.

------------

Couldn't agree more, which is precisely why I think leading drivers should be made to work for ALL their overtakes, uncluding those on backmarkers, irrespective of whatever standards they had in previous eras. And the harder backmarkers are to overtake the better.
Another opportunity for the greats to stand out from the good.

Oh and you do realise blue flags were brought in because these great drivers of yesteryear moaned constantly about lapping cars? Post was a bugger for it.

It still is, especially in my area or so it seems. Special delivery my arse. They just drop it wherever they like grumblegrumble...

I thought the main reason for blue flags coming in was to stop junior teams blocking the leader and allowing, say Prost in a Ferrari, being held up; allowing Senna in his Honda to close gap... Inter-team orders.

Inter-team orders are as wrong as team orders; but I remain unconvinced that blue flags were the right solution to the problem.

When did Prost ever complain about the standards in place at the time when it came to overtaking backmarkers?

One thing I do clearly remember was in the end-of-season press conferences when it came to reflecting on being beaten y Senna that year. He identified Ayrton's greater sggresion and willingness for risk-taking when dealing with backmarkers at critical moments during races.

There probably was a great deal of truth in that but when it came to venting spleen at backmarkers he reserved that for those who in his opinion - rightly or wrongly - made a point of deliberately blocking those coming up behind him,and really, that consisted of one driver only, going by the name of Rene...

Anyway RasputinLives , for someone who considers it ridiculous to compare previous eras with the current one you seem to be indulging in it a fair bit yourself aren't't you? ;)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom