Grand Prix 2016 Chinese Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

I just had a look back at last years race review on Wiki. This was when the cracks started to appear between Hamilton and Rosberg as Nico accused Lewis of deliberately slowing down in the middle stint to compromise his race and then got a right sulk on telling Hamilton he only cared about himself. Wah, wah, wah. Other than the race finishing under the safety car I can't see anything else which is memorable, although Jenson Button was found to have caused an accident with Pastor Maldonado. Go figure!

On to 2016. It's hard to see past a Mercedes pole, fastest lap and race win but which car? Nico Rosberg is 2 and O for 2016 and heads the championship by 17 points from his team mate who's had a few problems at the start in the first couple of races. No bitching about your team mate so far this season eh Nico? Lewis was almost certainly faster in Bahrain but his tangle with Bottas destroyed any chance of a win. Third with a bent car was quite some achievement.

Ferrari will, of course, offer the only (semi) serious opposition to the Mercedes pair but they haven't enjoyed the best reliability with two engine failures as they push to catch up. Kimi look to have a bit of his mojo back in Bahrain. No one will know whether Vettel could have done better but I suspect not.

What else can we look forward to? Romain Grosjean should finish fourth to maintain the sequence and this means he will win in Monaco... Hass have impressed, at least in RoGro hands, as has Pascal Wehrlein at Manor. Red Bull and Williams will scrap over the minor points, although Toro Rosso (even with last years Ferrari engine) look quite racey. You have to assume they will be battling with Force India though.

At McLaren I believe Van Doom will continue in place of Alonso as he still has a hurty rib, bless. Quite a race for the Belgian, the last driver to score points in a mid-season début in F1 was Sebastian Vettel. Whatever became of him? Button will head Manor and Sauber, assuming Sauber find enough cash down the back of the sofa to get the cars to Shanghai.

Probably the biggest question for the race weekend though is what qualifying format will be used? I've no idea and I suspect that those that control (I use that term in its loosest possible sense) don't have either. Let's see what occurs when the lights go out to start Q1. My money, regardless of the format, is a Mercedes 1-2 and Ferrari 3-4. The fastest guys should start at the front, that's what happens in all forms of motorsport and forcing them further down the grid just for the sake of "the show" is bloody stupid. No matter how interesting it is to see someone coming through the field, deliberately putting them there makes no sense whatsoever.

Well, there's my two pennuth. Let's have yours.

Edit - I forgot Renault. They won't figure greatly.

Last edited:
Start of Hamilton from grid was very strange.
Incidents on the frirst lap were predictable and he could start from pitlane without problem.
Race was interesting but I disappointed

Last edited:
The number of the day is Zero, which is the exact amount of s**ts given by Kvyat about what Vettel thinks if his start today.

Being absolutely impartial here, Vettel left a massive hole for Kvyat to go up the inside- if vettel wants to blame anyone, it should be Raikonnen for closing the door on him- or himself for leaving the door open for Kvyat to go up the inside! I don't see any way he can blame Kvyat!

With senior Ferrari management present I think he was covering his own ass by attempting to shift blame elsewhere. A bit pathetic really, no blame could be levelled at Kvyat and it appears all commentators agree he had every right to drive into a wide open hole and try for the pass.

OK I have a bit of a query.

We saw Vettel overtake two cars (hulkenberg and another) on the pit entry. This was before the speed limiter line and therefore considered part of the race track so no issue there. However we were under safety car conditions at the time. Therefore if the pit entrance is a normal part of the race track wasn't that a pass under safety car conditions?

Also Galahad does it count as an overtake?

RasputinLives

I think it would be covered by one of two possibilities
  1. A car may overtake under yellow flag conditions IF the car in front has slowed due to an apparent mechanical failure
  2. The pit lane entry is not classed as part of the race track.
There was another query I had under safety car conditions; during the SC, after one of his pitstops, Hamilton went purple in the middle sector (overall fastest sector); seeing this always makes me uncomfortable, as the entire track is under yellow flag conditions, meaning "no overtaking, slow down, and prepare to stop". (It is not the first time I've seen cars do this- it was use Hamilton today).

RasputinLives the full rule!
CgOaldIWIAAgVai.jpg:large

I see the Vettel/Kvyat incident more as a Vettel twitch than anything else. He wasn't expecting to see Kvyat alongside, so when he caught him in his peripheral view he twitched away from him, into the side of Kimi. It's instinctive to twitch in those circumstances. Not very good at those speeds though.

Dani seemed less than bothered about Vettels berating of him in podium aftermath. He pretty much told him to stop moaning. I thought he was very cool about it all especially as it was obvious Vettel was doing it because he knew the cameras were on them.

"If I'd kept going would have hit you"

"Don't keep going then"

LOL

Despite the podium and points, disappointing result for Ferrari. On the flip side the old Kimi seems to back. Out qualifying Seb, focused and determined. His recovery was remarkable.

I wonder whether Hamilton could've done better if not for some very strange pit decisions? I have no idea why he went onto super softs fairly early on and then pitted again a few minutes later to go onto softs. The decision to go on mediums around lap 30 perhaps wasn't the greatest idea in the world either, especially as he seemed to be doing his best to ruin them as early as possible.

Hindsight is always nice. When he had started from the pitlane, he wouldn't have had is wing damaged, but he had been several seconds behind the rest.
He did that in Hungary last year, and left the circuit pretty soon, because his tyres were cold (and it was raining).

I think the switch to supersoft happened during the SC while he was last anyway, so it didn't cost him a thing, but gave him a chance to run the rest of the race with softs.

I read folllowing 'stats':
The key stats:
  • Rosberg has now won six races in a row, becoming only the fourth man in the history of F1 to achieve such a feat. Ascari, Schumacher and Vettel are the other three.
  • Rosberg has also won 17 races in his career, making him the most successful driver ever to never become world champion (Sir Stirling Moss held the record previously).
  • No driver who has won the first three races of the season has ever not been crowned champion at the end of the year.
How did Nico Rosberg avoid the carnage to ease to victory at the Chinese Grand Prix?

The 2nd of that is a bit of retrospective, since I'm pretty sure Mansell only got his first championship after 29 wins. So driver with most wins and no WDC would still be Mansell in my book. Even you argued that by his 29th win he already almost had the WDC in his pocket, he still wasn't one yet.

Kewee I think Lewis should just shut up about all the fighting talk and really focus now. Any fluke or nothing special about what Rosberg is achieving is now firmly out of the window and needs to be taken seriously

No driver has ever failed to become world champion after winning the opening 3 races or 6 in a row

Going back to the decision to start from the back which really truly backfired because he got caught up in the melee. It was a daft decision and prove to be so

Back
Top Bottom