Grand Prix 2016 British Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

There will be no doubt what will be the talk of the town in Silverstone this weekend. The latest step down the road that leads the relationship of the Mercedes drivers to complete disaster will be discussed long and hard...

What may be missed is the 20 point swing Hamilton pulled off on that last lap in the hills of Austria, reigniting the Englishman's title campaign ahead of his home Grand Prix. Rosberg must stem the momentum or face a third year as runner-up.

Who will be challenging Mercedes in case of crash, strategy mess up or poor starts? Barcelona suggests that the Red Bull boys offer the sternest test at such a circuit. Ferrari will, as ever, be hoping to challenge but this circuit has been weak by Sebastian Vettel's lofty standards over the years.

Obviously, there will be the unique challenges of Silverstone too. The cold weather and the hard tyres often reduce the grip available. There may be changable conditions; there will be lots of wind. The pit lane is practically a legalised shortcut.

Of course, the main challenges are also the main attractions. Copse. Maggots. Becketts. Abbey. Some of the motorsport world's greatest bends, all in front of a noisy and possibly partisan crowd. This is truly one of F1's sepia-tinted classics, and long may it reign.

I'll be at Santa Pod with the lad at the Jap Show.

Though looks like the weather will play a part:

upload_2016-7-8_9-26-9.png

As for the Boos, they are expected, we're British.....

BBC news floging the Wimbledon final and a Euro football match for Sunday. Not a single mention of Silverstone. I thought that BBC news were impartial ?
They make me sick, they are so biased it's unbelievable. I pay a licence fee for an unbiased service, that I haven't had for years.

Well :yawn: Noah time in qualie. If the race follows the same pattern as qualifying then I shall be having a nice snooze tomorrow afternoon.

Track limits… can we get some consistency? I saw that in the drivers meeting it was agreed that there were three corners (9,12,and 15 I think) would be zero tolerance as it was where you can make the biggest gains (Mansel's Twitter). Surely, any advantage gained from going outside the track limits is an illegal advantage.

If they are going to penalize a driver for going over that's fine, but let's not choose which corners to police and which to not.

Ideal Lap (sum best sectors) in the Qual:
Qual – No – Driver – Qual Result – Ideal Lap – Flaw
1 - 44 - L.HAMILTON - 01:29,287 - 01:29,153 - 00,134
2 - 6 - N.ROSBERG - 01:29,606 - 01:29,591 - 00,015
3 - 33 - M.VERSTAPPEN - 01:30,313 - 01:30,267 - 00,046
6 - 5 - S.VETTEL - 01:31,490 - 01:30,403 - 01,087
4 - 3 - D.RICCIARDO - 01:30,618 - 01:30,509 - 00,109
5 - 7 - K.RAIKKONEN - 01:30,881 - 01:30,794 - 00,087
7 - 77 - V.BOTTAS - 01:31,557 - 01:31,439 - 00,118
10 - 14 - F.ALONSO - 01:32,343 - 01:31,617 - 00,726
8 - 55 - C.SAINZ - 01:31,989 - 01:31,634 - 00,355
9 - 27 - N.HULKENBERG - 01:32,172 - 01:31,726 - 00,446

One thing that struck me about the post-quali interview was that Nico has broken out, that's often a stress response. I wonder if the talking-tos that he and Lewis received impacted him more, if not directly then emotionally.

Love the British gp is 1 of the greatest. 90,000 for Friday practice is more than most circuits manage on a Sunday

What a final sector from Lewis all the pressure of having to nail it in front of his home crowd & coming down hangar straight 3/4 tenths down to be able to pull out 4 tenths with just stowe, vale & club left knowing any mistakes would leave him 10th. When everyone else couldn't improve. but imagine if Lewis ended up 10th after his time been deleted they risked getting lynched

But you know nico will beat him of the line or maybe we will see a repeat of 2015 with 2nd row getting the jump. As I would like to see verstappen in lead

Will there be Mercedes team orders? First one round turn one maintains the lead? Will Hamilton's car have been nobbled so he can't be first round turn one?
Will I wear my tin helmet ?

:whistle:

I had hopes of Jenson joining Williams but am wondering how they were so poor today given this is one of their preferred tracks?

Vettel had a nightmare race and 5 seconds is not sufficient punishment for deliberately forcing another driver off

Back
Top Bottom