Grand Prix 2016 Austrian Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

With 6 races in 8 weekends this summer, if ever there was a more appropriate sponsor for the 3rd race through this F1 endurance marathon it's Red Bull. We have arrived wide eyed and with the caffeine jitters back in Speilberg, Austria at The Red Bull Ring.

With around 10,000 miles traveled in the last 21 days the teams will be happy they are back in central Europe and may even be organised enough with there upcoming 'weekend off' into bringing some upgrade tweaks for the back to backs of Austria and Great Britain. Eyes peeled everyone for twiddly bits and go-faster stripes.

The race track is one of the shorter ones on the calendar at just 2.684 miles which gives us a beefy 71 lap race. A meer shadow of it's earlier 3.6mile iteration between 1977-1995, but we moo-ve on (bull joke for you there...sorry)

Last years race saw Lewis take pole in 1.08.455. It didn't help him in the race however as he made a poor get away (yup again) and Nico passed him into the first corner resulting in a follow the leader snooze fest up front for the remainder of the race. Williams have some form here with their front row lock out in 2014 and taking a podium 3rd place in both 2014 and 2015 they are certainly a dark horse to keep an eye on. Seb had a wheel nut problem last year which arguably robbed him of 3rd. Alonso will be hoping he can make it around the first lap without mounting Kimi as he did last year in what could of been a very serious crash. Actually with a DNF in 2014 as well, he will be hoping to simply finish.

So to this years race, Nico will be keen as mustard to build on his win in Baku, building on his earlier form and rebuilding that gap to Lewis. If he does take the win he will make it 3 wins in row at The Red Bull Ring, maintaining his record of being the one and only (F1) winner at this new iteration of the Speilberg track.

It's hard to see past a Mercedes win but the Ferraris have looked much improved since their token free 'reliability (in no way faster) upgrade' to their turbo. Who knows the Red Bull home advantage could finally kick in as well in what has been a poor event for them, finishing just 8th in 2014 and 10th last year. But if I was to have a cheeky each way bet it would be on Williams. I've just got a feeling.

Nico has rebuilt his championship lead to a snifter off a full win haul in points with 24 points clear. Seb is knocking on the back door just through shear consistency just 21 points behind Lewis. It certainly keeps the championship interesting, if Nico had lost the championship lead in Baku I can't help feel it would of been a slippy slope for him.

The CTA massive scored this one a 5.5 out of 10 in 2015 but a healthier 7 out of 10 in 2014.
I think we are well overdue a stonker so fingers crossed Spielberg can deliver.

Kimi & Alonso crash from last year.

TV times.
screenshot.20.jpg

He's not mental, he just doesn't want anyone to realize that he panicked when he recognized there was no way he was going to stay in front of Lewis and his best gamble was for them both to DNF.

He's not mental, he just doesn't want anyone to realize that he panicked when he recognized there was no way he was going to stay in front of Lewis and his best gamble was for them both to DNF.

That's the same position that Steve Matchett from NBCSports takes, here in the States Mezzer..

Would appear Vettel is no Mansell when controlling a high speed blow out on a straight.
The aerodynamics have a far greater affect on a car today than they did in Mansell's time if they're destabilised by something such as tyre failure.

That's the same position that Steve Matchett from NBCSports takes, here in the States Mezzer..
I watch the same channel, I agree with Matchett and he was warning of it 2 laps earlier ...

Last edited:
The aerodynamics have a far greater affect on a car today than they did in Mansell's time if they're destabilised by something such as tyre failure.
His tyre blew, no loss of aero, but it doesn't help control when you let go of the steering wheel, you tend to have problems keeping it straight:rolleyes:

Caught up with race & those final laps have proven what i have known ever since monaco 2014 & accidentally on purpose outbraking manoeuvre at mirabeau. That Rosberg portrays this lovely family man image but he is a ruthless cheat. Yes he had a brake problem but what on earth was rosberg doing because he had 3/4 of the track & didnt turn in until he was far past the apex deserves everything he got. Hamilton couldn't go any further left to avoid him & ive said before I believe he cant beat him in straight fights

Shame for Vettel having his tyre blew in such a strong position on his birthday. What was it freak incident or the team problems with navigating around the tyre pressure rules going below the psi pressure & JB this weekend with 3rd on the grid 6th proves how mad McLaren would be to let him go & how in a competitive car he still can be a race winner

Last edited:
teabagyokel there was some light drizzle?
Also, fair play to Lewis for not dropping it on the grass on the way back on, that must've been treacherous with the continuous drizzle throughout

Nico Rosberg showing once again that whenever he gets in to a wheel to wheel battle with Lewis Hamilton his brain just turns to jelly. It is almost like he goes into some sort of panic mode and has to stop Lewis getting past by any means possible.

I still stand by what I thought in Spain that I put on versus thread. After another weird overly aggressive move

Something ive been wondering since I delayed watching the race. I wonder whether nico past all the bluster & ego needs at this level that nico deep down knows that abit like prost & senna. he's not necessarily the slower driver but nows he doesn't have the pace to beat Lewis in a outright straight fight & in the heat thought if he goes past ive lost the race.

And it's certainly not out of the realm of possibilities that these high pressures combined with some mega-curbs created those suspension issues.

---------------------------

Especially on a hilly track with constant elevation changes that would also inflict repetitive compression loads.

Dartman ..... There is a large loss of aero when a car suffers tyre deflation whether its sudden or gradual. Taking your hands off the wheel before impact protects a driver suffering one or even two broken wrists, it's a normal precaution especially in Indycar's though just as valid in F1. :whistle:

Last edited:
It just seems strange to me that Pirelli would prescribe a pressure that is roundly criticized throughout pitlane.

Pirelli supply tyres that are "not fit for purpose", nothing they do seems strange if you take their lack of ability and common sense into account.

Back
Top Bottom