2016-17 Silly Season. Drivers Market

Flavio always spins a great story on who Alonso has supposedly talk to over the years. It's a good negotiation tactic. I imagine it's a reminder to Mclaren they'll have to pay and produce this year.

Well Alonso has just given a nudge to Mercedes that he will make himself available as there is no contract in the way plus one driver in only on 1 year contract and the other is beginning to iterate the Merc bosses

FB I thought part of the reason was Mercedes did not want to buy out his contract and then be having to manage probably the most explosive driver pairing in the paddock they could ask for

Last edited:
I think it would be much more grown up until one of then started losing to the other. Then it would be far worse than it was before as both have far less to lose by pissing off the team than they did in 2007.

I get the feeling the Merc bosses will be glad if Hamilton was no employed longer by them . He is just about tolerated because be brings them success

I get the feeling the Merc bosses will be glad if Hamilton was no employed longer by them . He is just about tolerated because be brings them success

It seems rather obvious to me that, for the last 3 years, it has been much more the case that it has been Mercedes' totally dominant car that has brought success to their drivers rather than the reverse.

vintly siffert_fan

No but it seems like Hamilton is tipping on the edge. The Merc boss thought there was an issue with Hamilton again when his phone rang only to be told Rosberg was retiring

Hamilton gives Mercedes that extra marketing exposure namely in markets like America

vintly siffert_fan

The Merc boss thought there was an issue with Hamilton again when his phone rang only to be told Rosberg was retiring

?

Even if Mercedes need Hamilton more than he needs them (debatable but for the sake of argument let's say so), then almost any amount of nonsense would be tolerated as long as team results don't suffer. In 2016, apart from Barcelona I can't remember anything of note to show how Hamilton compromised overall team success. The off-track nonsense is nothing, just minor PR faff.

Mercedes have a certain corporate image to maintain which they expect Hamilton to tow the line but as long as he is delivering success then any misgivings about his behaviour can be tolerated

Since F1 coverage is basically non-existent in the US, I doubt Hamilton helps Mercedes' sales there.

Hamilton is the only thing F1 could use to attract themselves to the US due to his celebrity status with some of their celebrities

He creates more pulling power than either Haas or Red Bull - who have big presence in US does

It's not just celebrities that attract people to sports! Anyway we're getting off-topic.

Hamilton to Ferrari in next three years.

vintly
That would be good PR for Ferrari to sell their cars in the US by having Lewis market their brand.

I don't see Lewis in a Ferrari unless he was offered mega bucks for the drive

I think it would be much more grown up until one of then started losing to the other. Then it would be far worse than it was before as both have far less to lose by pissing off the team than they did in 2007.
In an interview with the BBC Toto Wolff confirmed Mercedes had wanted to sign Alonso but due to the fierce rivalry back in 2007 at McLaren however, they decided to choose Bottas.

If Fernando Alonso was to win the world championship this year (which I would put money on him not doing) it would be the biggest ever gap between championships for a driver.

I Don't want to say his ship has sailed.....but I'm kinda saying his ship has sailed. He is still a talent it's true but is he really still one of the best in the field? Being in that Mclaren means we have no way of finding out really and none of the teams he could show us seem to want to go anywhere near him.

I'd much rather see a Verstappen or a Vandorne in the top drives anyway. Time to move on Fernando.

Back
Top Bottom