2016-17 Silly Season. Drivers Market

Wasn't Ericsson announced months ago?

Yes the Bottas news was hardly a shocker was it? Mercedes have this corporate way of sucking the fun out of everything Don't they? I'm just bitter though coz I put that stupid Ocon bet on!

So driver line ups complete - apart from Manor who aren't likely to be around anyways.

Don't Ericsson's backers basically own Sauber anyway?

And on a related note - how do all these frankly rather mediocre drivers seem to garner such huge amounts of sponsorship year after year? Is it a case of doing well enough to win sponsorship one year in a junior category, before spinning it out thereafter in the hope that the sponsors will stick with him rather than admit that they've been wasting their money all this time?

Road of Bones it's usually to do with national pride I think. Sometimes to do with thinking they've invested tons so far so they have to keep going and hope for the pay off. Most often though I think it's to do with having a relative in the business.

F1 2017 calendar and schedule, driver line-ups and test dates

FINAL 2017 DRIVER LINE-UPS

MERCEDES
Race drivers: Lewis Hamilton and Valtteri Bottas
Engines: Mercedes

RED BULL
Race drivers: Daniel Ricciardo and Max Verstappen
Reserve driver: Pierre Gasly
Engines: TAG Heuer-badged Renault

FERRARI
Race drivers: Sebastian Vettel and Kimi Raikkonen
Third driver: Antonio Giovinazzi
Engines: Ferrari

FORCE INDIA
Race drivers: Sergio Perez and Esteban Ocon

WILLIAMS
Race drivers: Felipe Massa and Lance Stroll

MCLAREN
Race drivers: Fernando Alonso and Stoffel Vandoorne
Engines: Honda

TORO ROSSO
Race drivers: Carlos Sainz and Daniil Kvyat
Reserve driver: Pierre Gasly
Engines: Renault

HAAS
Race drivers: Romain Grosjean and Kevin Magnussen
Engines: Ferrari

RENAULT
Race drivers: Nico Hulkenberg and Jolyon Palmer
Engines: Renault

SAUBER
Race drivers: Marcus Ericsson and Pascal Wehrlein
Engines: Ferrari (2016 spec)

MANOR (Team currently in administration)
Race drivers: TBC and TBC

You know Bottas/ Massa to Mercedes/ Williams - probably F1 worst kept secret for a while now

What is interesting is Werhlein to Sauber which comes with Mercedes backing to their former partners ... I don't think Ferrari have much sway with Sauber having given them an old Ferrari engine. Now that Manor are in administration , I am thinking could Sauber - Mercedes return in 2018 with the team ironically running junior drivers for Merc

Bottas is only on a 1 year contract with options so the whole silly season for 2018 might be the most silliest yet given I think all the top drivers are out of contract except Verstappen so there maybe plenty of jostling for drives going on and the emergence of the next generation will make it interesting which of the old guard is being dispensed as well

I said Sauber Mercedes could be on in the future - Mercedes just signed George Russell as part of their young driver programme so a feeder team in F1 would help developing the driver

Back
Top Bottom