2016-17 Silly Season. Drivers Market

I'd very much doubt Massa will certainly become a front runner with Williams like Mansell did back in 1991 when he was convinced to u turn his retirement by Williams
If Williams gave Massa a car as decent as 1991's I'd say he'd have a good chance of being at the front.

Massa - Stroll combination sounds like music to me ears. I'll probably switch favourite teams for a year :)

Im disapointed at Williams. Dont mean to be harsh but massa is past it he's already stayed a year longer than he shouldve as in my opinion he shouldve retired in 2015 as last 2 years
2015 didnt take part in opener but still beat him by 15pts
2016 even with the best engine Alonso in he Honda finishes higher

If they want experience go for Pierre Gasly Gp2 Champion & had 4 yrs of GP2. So not techincally a rookie

F1Brits_90 It is a typical Williams stance but then they will the pain not this year but the next two years potentially from the money they will get in the constructors championship

I understand why they don't want Wehrlein but Massa I've made it clear if he languishes at the back people will start saying he should have stayed retired etc

F1 is not like most sports where you can take a break and comeback refreshed it needs full hearted commitment and Felipe's did start to go once he decided to go

Its interesting to hear comments from two Red Bull drivers

Sainz - Needs to be in a top team for 2018...hopefully with Red Bull
Ricciardo - Seeking to stay for the duration of 2 years at Red Bull despite being high on the Merc and Ferrari wanted list

So can we have an opinion from Max then?

Dunno but I bet well get to see loads of shots of his fat father giving the "thumbs up" in the pits and plenty of articles about Felipe jnr >:( Hello TV producers, this is motor racing not OK magazine!

Yeah I know, it's totally irrational but he just annoys the heck out of me and I get sick to death of seeing his family in the pit lane and garages. That said I get sick to death of seeing all the celebs and hangers on in the pit lane and garages. The constant cutting to see Rita Ora standing doing **** all in the Merc garage in Abu Dhabi annoyed the living shit out of me.

On Felipe, if he had done the right thing and retired at the end of 2015 we wouldn't be where we are as a new driver would be settled in at Williams and Valerie could go where he likes. But he hung on, blocking a seat for faster, quicker, younger, more motivated driver to get a foot hold in the formula and now he's coming back. Arse!

I think I wrote a thread once about drivers who hung on too long after seeing some old footage of Michele Alboreto at his final race. Super quick in his younger days, a waste of space later in his career.

FB

I must have missed the thread or certainly put people like Berger and Raikkonen on that thread if I did... I still think Kimi should not be around but then again Ferrari are evaluating every option open to them for 2018

You know Rita Ora was in the Merc pit because she is apparently going out with Hamilton whereas few years ago he had Nicole, Will I am and Tyrese Gibson

Understand the constant find the celebs in the garage suppose to appeal to everyone

Your point on Felipe really holds value now certainly mid way last year Bottas was not as convincing to put away Massa but I do think Williams will suffer in future years because of it if they did rehire Massa

Andyoak They were all in the garage at Abu Dhabi 2014 to watch him win the title and then take selfies splashed over Twitter

FB thanks before my time

I agree re-hiring Massa is not going to get Williams to move forward the way they need to and now he is always one bad race from people saying " He should have stayed retired "

Well, there were already people saying that anyway.

Who should Williams hire then? Remember they need someone with (recent) experience in F1 who gives them a good benchmark on where they are with the development of their car. With Button not available, I don't see many candidates. They don't want someone like Wehrlein, who has not enough experience.

Wombcat Off course this is not helped but when Massa made all that emotional bow out in Brazil.. the problem is once you are retiring your mindset or focus is not at the same intensive level so will Massa really up his intensity or fall even further down

I am not saying Massa put on a show to get the sympathy vote but if he is not on the pace then serious questions need to directed at Williams and him

Last edited:
Oh take no notice of me TR , I read something from way back on this thread, and assumed it was an up to date post. Don't ask.

Back
Top Bottom