Grand Prix 2015 Singapore Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

Next stop Singapore for a race you either love or hate. Its F1’s premier night race and whilst the racing has not always been amazing its always looked magnificent. Unlike the Monza horse powerfest this place is not all about the grunt of your engine, which could possibly be good name for us. As much as I admire Lewis Hamilton’s skill and I think he’s on amazing form this year I don’t want to just be watching time trials. I want to see him pushed to go even better and its quite possible we might get that this time out. Nico Rosberg’s engine in flames in Italy pretty much spells the end of any sort of title race so now its all about pride and one upmanship from here on out.

Why? Well the temperature will play a part. The Ferrari has always looked better in warmer weather and they are certainly better on their tyres. We all know when Vettel gets a sniff of it like in Malaysia he suddenly comes alive and Singapore has always been a track he’s been good on. The other part is the fact that the Red Bull’s will certainly come into play here as well. The Renault engine won’t hinder them as much as it has done and we all know how good that chassie is. Ricciardo and Kvyat have both been chomping at the bit to show what they can do and I expect them to jump in the mix like they did at Hungary and Monaco. The great news as well is that they’ve altered the track layout slightly in order to give more overtaking opportunities. If that works and, like I predict Ferrari and Red Bull will be closer, we might maybe possibly have a fight for a race win.

Another team looking forward to Singapore will be Mclaren whose Honda engine will be less of a millstone round their neck. Alonso has been talking about how good they will be at Singapore and after yet another DNF in Italy you have to wonder how much pressure the team feel to give their superstar something to get excited about. I saw Alonso talking to Flavio on the gird last time out. Button into the pitwall anyone?

Williams won’t be looking forward to this one as much as they will probably sink back into the pack. Even if they don’t I’m sure tactically they’ll find a way to put themselves back there. Force India’s B car will be fully up and running but I don’t expect them to be up where they’ve been for the last couple of races due to the circuit. Will the Enstone team even managed to make it there? I can see them taking the option of skipping the flyaway to save money and keep the team afloat.

This race is always going to look beautiful given the setting and the cars under the lights but I think what F1 needs and we all want is and actual race. I’m strangely optimistic we might get one.

The problem is definitely tyre related. Evidently the operating window in Singapore is incredibly narrow and Mercedes have been unable to get their tyres inside that window. The difficulties are related to long straights tight corners and Asian heat, that's a combination they don't have to contend with at any other circuit. They have admitted they've been unable to find the sweet spot for their tyres and they don't know why.
What I'm finding fascinating is Vettel is 1.42 seconds ahead of Lewis. Normally Hamilton has been approximately .8 sec quicker, sometimes more, than the next fastest non Mercedes qualifier at previous GP's, if you add that to the 1.42 sec's in Singapore Mercedes have lost over 2 seconds a lap and they can't find the answer. At Singapore, Mercedes, which until now has been the best car of the field, are dealing with a similar deficit McLaren/Honda, nearly the worst car on the grid, have been battling all season. Maybe if Honda can find relatively small gains they could make a huge step forward. I'm not suggesting they will catch Mercedes that quickly but they could certainly make the necessary gains to be fighting near the front.

Last edited:
I wonder if Mercedes problems are more down to the heat/humidity than the tyres or set up because thinking back to Malaysia earlier this year. The only time in the last 2 yrs you say that Lewis & nico were beaten on pure pace instead of mistake giving other teams the victory

Vettel will be out of DRS range by the second lap.

Have I woke up in 2013 LOL

Is there anybody neutral in this forum ???

Im not neutral but thats not difficult to tell I want all British to do as well as they can like Lewis but I dont want him to drive into the distance though I want a race

Short they may be but there are several of them, all coming out of tight corners, So traction is absolutely vital here. If the Mercs are finding it a struggle to get their rear tyres into their optimimum range all these tight corners opening onto numerous short straights add up to quite a bit of a deficit at the end of a lap.

Malaysia and Singapore have similar weather climates so this is playing into Ferrari who seem to retain heat better into their tyres and last longer more importantly

I think the Mercs have a fight on their hand

I probably wasn't clear snowy, as Incubus says it's the number of straights all of them leading out of tight corners that create the problems. Compared to other circuits the straights are quite long and they have no fast sweeping turns leading on to them.
Incidentally I wasn't voicing an opinion I was quoting one of the Mercedes team members.

Just as Hamilton was threatening to give us a race he retired. Shame, going to be another procession now.

Edit: and now some idiot brings the safety car out which means the leaders won't even be making a pit stop in race conditions. How bizarre, just taking a casual stroll...

Last edited:
Ages since we have had a loony on track. :twisted:

man-track-singapore.jpg

Last edited:
Behind Grosjean shame:
and on Saturdays and on Sundays this year he shows the results of the team not because of but in spite of.
Against the background of Maldonado is even more pronounced.

It would be interesting to look at the Hamilton's fight at the end of the race due to choosing alternative strategy and pace gave him a chance at the podium.
But the intrigue in the championship was supported :)

So Mercedes have lost their ability to produce a reliable car, have rediscovered their inability to understand the tyres and are still exercising their indecisiveness when something goes wrong. Retire the friggin' car, save the friggin' engine, this isn't rocket science! :givemestrength:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom