FIA 2015 race calendar

Now, being serous, I can understand the appeal of monaco, although, I've never really been able to see it myself; it is a spectacular event, but it really isn't a race....

I like Monaco too. It's an iconic race and interesting to watch. I wouldn't want any more than 1 Monaco-style race though,
[edit] One or two of my favourite races were at Monaco - 1982 for example. Less good with the bigger cars we have now though.

Monaco is an anachronism. The track is a total joke and if it wasn't for the fact its right in the middle of a city, it would have disappeared from the calendar in the 1960's. Mind you, I'd like to go there, just to see it.

All its gonna take is one really bad crash and it would be gone for good.

Last edited:
The EU decided that F1 should not be a part of the FIA as it would create a monopoly. So now we have monopoly money instead. I know which one I think would be the better.

Even if Jean Todt got around to pulling his head out of the bucket of sand it is currently buried in, there's very little the FIA could do about it that wouldn't see them end up in court. Thanks to Max's biggest mistake of handing dear old Bernie the rights and then letting Bernie sell those same rights via an around the houses of collapsed companies, to CVC the whole show is contractually out of the FIA's hands. The only way the house of cards will come down is if the teams stop running or CVC stop making money. Thanks to the last rounds of deals, the big five get their cash and CBC show no sign of changing their tune. So long as the money rolls in and there are countries in the world willing to cough up.

For me, I have to go back to the decision to award Ecclestone the rights. Imagine if you leased you house to someone only to find after 18 months they'd sold 90 percent of your house a group of housing developers !!! You would rightly go batshit crazy and take that person to court.

No one in F1 gave a toss. The FIA headed by Max couldn't care less and so long as the teams got cash they couldn't care less either. To be honest, they don't give a monkeys where they race. The cars are loaded on the FOM planes, the teams rock up, un-pack, race, load up and move on. It doesn't matter if that's in Italy, Australia or the Democratic Republic of the Congo.

Considering some of the locales where they race, I would be amazed if IS hasn't thought of staging an attack on one (at least) of the races. Imagine the publicity coup for those butchers.

What would be the reaction of CVC and the FIA if such an attack were to come about?

Considering some of the locales where they race, I would be amazed if IS hasn't thought of staging an attack on one (at least) of the races. Imagine the publicity coup for those butchers.

What would be the reaction of CVC and the FIA if such an attack were to come about?

They (IS) might think about it, but that would be a tricky proposition. Security at F1 races is actually pretty good, Bernie doesn't want people getting milk for free when they could be buying the cow, so unless IS did it as a full-on military attack, it's not likely they'd succeed at attacking people attending an F1 race. It would be easier to attack people on the roads to and from airports and other points of entry, and that wouldn't gather them any more publicity than they're already getting, unless they managed to hurt or kill someone famous.

However, assuming IS did successfully attack people attending an F1 race:

The reaction of CVC if such an attack did happen would probably be to sell every share they've got in F1, invest their money elsewhere before people really have time to follow the money, and when the paper trail is followed later, deny all culpability.

The FIA's reaction would probably be to point out that they're not responsible for F1's decisions, explain that other races such as WRC stages have been held in hostile areas in the past without much trouble, and that this was all very unfortunate, then make a heartfelt statement of solidarity with the victims and their families.

I think there are far more high profile events that IS could consider before going after an F1 race, although I suppose the money people in F1 make it easier by staging races in their back yard.

I always thought part of the reason why there weren't more attacks on mainland US soil after 9/11 was because the American government very kindly shipped lots of US citizens across to the middle east so Al Quaeda didn't have to waste money on air fares anymore.

I think there are far more high profile events that IS could consider before going after an F1 race

So basically what you're saying FB is that F1's declining profile and loss of viewers is actually saving lives? ;)

How naive of the Malaysians to think that anything happening with Mercedes/Petronas could have anything to do with a contract with CVC/Mr Ecclestone.

In 2009 there was an election coming up in Malaysia, there were reports in the Straits Times (the organ of the ruling junta) about how expensive it was to hold an F1 race. Two years ago the same thing was happening. Surely it isn't election year there again?

Back
Top Bottom