Grand Prix 2015 Japanese Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

For once the PQR does not include discussion of the dominance of Mercedes after they dropped the ball under the lights in Singapore. They'll feel better than South Africa's rugby fraternity, and will certainly be less likely to wince at the sound of the word "Japan". Will they bounce back?

The excitement of Suzuka is palpable. Some corners are legendary - the esses, 130R, the Degners. Those that aren't are merely the venue for legendary happenings - the McLarens in 1989, Kobayashi-san's wide elbows and Raikkonen passing Fisi on the last lap. However, it is an excitement tempered by what happened last time, and I'm sure thoughts of Jules Bianchi will be uppermost as the weekend continues.

Ferrari will be praying that the race again shows the improvement that saw them challenge at Monza and dominate at Singapore, and Vettel will scarcely be put off by seeing the road into Suzuka. He's won at Malaysia and Singapore, the third leg of his once-customary East Asian triple crown awaits. Red Bull, of course, will also have great memories, and they will be encouraged by getting amongst the Ferraris for the first time in Singapore. That they were ahead of the Mercedes is a massive bonus.

Action can never be guaranteed, but if it doesn't come, you can at least enjoy the spectacle of 22 drivers dragging reluctant cars through some of the most splendid curves in the world, all flowing into one outstanding whole. A Ferrari victory would pay tribute to their lost son, or is it Hamilton's turn to get to the magic 41? Or, just possibly, a surprise?

Mercedes putting team orders on Rosberg - not a chance mate

As for Mclaren HOnda apparently the stance has softened towards Mr Arai now after the leak Mclaren wanted to him replaced

No. I just meant how is he topping the times in FP2 again. At Singapore it was down to the the track but I can't see a reason for it in Japan. Both Red Bulls were faster than both Ferrari's and were pretty much on pace with the Mercs (although Lewis said he was taking it easy).

So where so is Kvyat suddenly finding the pace from?

Yeah that ^. The team have done a brilliant job developing the chassis during the year. Who needs 100 extra horsepower in the rain...

I thought it was really funy to see those rear wing-styled caps sported by some japanese fans come complete with DRS. :D I saw footage of them pulling on a string to open up the wing flap.

mcla-fans-941x529.jpg

Lewywo4 I can't see that happening unless Hamilton wins and Rosberg retires which would mean 66pts between the two with only 5 races left which might make team orders a possibility

Last week two safety cars destroyed any chance of a race breaking out and today Kvyat binning it steals us the chance of the last runs in Q3 with Hamilton/Rosberg and the Williams/Ferraris/Red Bulls very close. 9 out of 13 races in 2015 have scored below 6 out of 10 on CTA. I hope we get something decent tomorrow because F1 is in a really bad streak and testing my patience.

Can I just have a rant about two things. Just before Q1 started Nico Rosberg was complaining about the engine which Crofty and Brundle said was because "the car wasn't learning the gearbox" and then Jenson missed out on a quick lap in Q1 as "the team hadn't told him which engine mode to use".

What the heck is happening to F1 when the drivers have to reply so much on the pit wall and technology to get the car round?

Ideal Lap (sum best sectors) in the Qual:
Qual – No – Driver – Qual Result – Ideal Lap – Flaw
1 – 6 – N.ROSBERG – 1:32,584 – 1:32,337 – 0,247
2 – 44 – L.HAMILTON – 1:32,660 – 1:32,514 – 0,146
3 – 77 – V.BOTTAS – 1:33,024 – 1:32,998 – 0,026
5 – 19 – F.MASSA – 1:33,337 – 1:33,115 – 0,222
4 – 5 – S.VETTEL – 1:33,245 – 1:33,231 – 0,014
6 – 7 – K.RAIKKONEN – 1:33,347 – 1:33,330 – 0,017
7 – 3 – D.RICCIARDO – 1:33,497 – 1:33,358 – 0,139
8 – 8 – R.GROSJEAN – 1:33,967 – 1:33,951 – 0,016
10 – 26 – D.KVYAT – DNF – 1:34,038 –
9 – 11 – S.PEREZ – DNF – 1:34,174 –

Everyone has tyre issues since the teams moaned about a couple of tyre failures at Spa and Pirelli responded with a big middle finder and much higher tyre pressures. Things get messy when there are mid-season regulation changes.

Dont get me wrong im delighted kyvat unharmed after huge shunt but under bridge on way to the hairpin by clipping grass but bad timing at red flag that came out on everybodys final run Maybe an idea to probably reset the clock to 2mins from 36secs or a top 8/10 1 lap shootout so that we dont get this type of anti climax

As i expected Mercedes are back as I thought like Malaysia earlier in the season the heat & humidity would make performance deficit an anomaly & still got confidence in Lewis to beat rosberg tomorrow was wouldve got if not for the mistake exiting degners

The final two minutes of Q3 are typically the most exciting of the whole GP weekend.

How disappointing.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom