Technical 2014 Technical Regulations

So, crudely speaking, sod all will change apart from the engine they bolt in, at least in the short term. Cost saving and green initiatives are all well and good, but I think the new regulations are so restrictive and so backward that it really is pushing F1 closer and closer to a spec series and hence losing what makes it special.

At least initially there were talks of bringing ground effect back etc. but these have all disappeared. It seems like the designers are being given no scope whatsoever to claim back the time lost by the new engines.

I notice now that the proposed aero changes have all been scrapped: lower nose, narrower front wing, etc.

Sigh.
I'm wondering if they will then scrap the modesty fairing that covers the stepped noses for 2013? I was looking forward to the lower nose and more narrow front wing, but hey, at least we're not Indycar

It looks as though the performance of the powertrain (not just the engine these days of course) will be a bigger determinant of performance in 2014 than it has been for a very long time.

Cue announcement of 2014 engine freeze beginning from next week...

I am very disappointed by this news. Those changes were looking very good in my eyes. Let's hope that the regs don't get scrapped all together.

But who is going to give that much to a team like HRT?

Oh... I am sure there is some Russian oligarch somewhere ... Ivan Dropabollockoff who has a lazy $200 MM... you have to assume Bernie is working the angles with this and a Russian GP upcoming...

How much lower will the noses be? In 2012, F1 cars had a maximum front nose height of 550mm above the floor of the car. In 2014, that is being reduced to 185mm - a reduction in height of 365mm.

:yesss:

Looks like they're finally going to do away with exhaust blowing too.
But for 2014 there will be no more 'Coanda' effect - exhausts will have to exit between 3-5cm forward of the centre line of the rear wheels and no more than 25cm from the centre line of the car.
Although I suspect Newey already has a workaround in place for that...

:yesss:

Looks like they're finally going to do away with exhaust blowing too.

Although I suspect Newey already has a workaround in place for that...

Somebody finally found something for the exhaust to be something more than blowing fumes.:rolleyes:

In my humble opinion, it's another innovative thing that's being banned.
And it wasn't like the car behind had dirty air from it, although i could be wrong here. Isn't it ground effect what is happening when the exhaust is blowing the diffuser?

Indeed, Bushi

Re: "And it wasn't like the car behind had dirty air from it, although i could be wrong here"

It does contribute some additional hot air to the turbulance created by the rest of the aero'.

When did F1 stop being the search for technological innovation and speed. I have no problem with safety increasing, however it should not be to the detriment of the sport. Instead technology should be allowed, for example if KERS rules were looser we might have seen greater development of the system that would be viable for road car use. The banning of exhaust gasses is just another thing taken away, won't be long before F1 falls into the hands of Le Mans in terms of outright pace. :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom