Grand Prix 2014 Chinese Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

Ni hao!!

Welcome to the discussion for the 11th running of the Chinese Grand Prix, in 'Shanghai' (i.e. the middle of nowhere). The imposing circuit, with its 200,000 capacity grandstands, stand tall and large in the middle of marshland. Unfortunately, there is very little danger of anything like 200,000 people entering the circuit (despite whatever the Chinese government claims!!) This was the scene of Nico Rosberg's win in the Mercedes in 2012, and, given the form of the Silver Arrows this season, who says that the team can't repeat that feat?

As I'm sure you all know by now, thanks to previous Chinese discussion threads, the circuit, designed by Hermann Tilke, was created in the shape of the Chinese symbol 'shang', which means up/above/on top of. Whilst the circuit may not be the most thrilling in the world, it does often produce great races, mainly down to its tight hairpin preceded by a 1km long straight at the end of the lap. Most notable of these was perhaps in 2007, where Lewis Hamilton's title hopes were postponed and eventually crushed in the Chinese gravel in the pit lane.

After the thriller in the Bahraini desert, the pressure will be on the F1 circus to continue to provide the thrills and spills for the Chinese Grand Prix. With the teams sure to be closely matched (apart from the Mercs, obviously), there is little to suggest that it won't be a competitive event, with many questions to be answered. Will the team-mate grudges continue? Will Maldonado stop driving like a nutter? Will a Sauber finish the race? And, most importantly, will Chilton not finish last?

All that remains for me to say is..... Ready, Steady, Discuss!!!

The interest for tomorrow will be how long the Red Bulls can stay ahead of Rosberg (assuming Hamilton gets away cleanly and builds a gap at the front). Will Rosberg be past them both the moment DRS is activated, or even before, or can Red Bull really start to make themselves a factor in the championship battle.

Ok I have read the sporting regulations 3 times and they are as clear as mud when it comes to grid drop penalties being carried over to the next race for Pastor. Anyone else want to have a go at this?

Page 8.
Looks like it's all the way down on page 21 Greenlantern101. It's under "SPARE CARS, ENGINES AND GEARBOXES" though, so maybe it only applies to penalties for those things?
The penalty won't carry over as it's not engine related.

The interest for tomorrow will be how long the Red Bulls can stay ahead of Rosberg (assuming Hamilton gets away cleanly and builds a gap at the front). Will Rosberg be past them both the moment DRS is activated, or even before, or can Red Bull really start to make themselves a factor in the championship battle.

Also don't forget Alonso is just behind Rosberg and ahead of the two Williams' and Hulkenberg. Add the two Redbulls likely battling for supremacy and we definitely have an interesting race ahead.

Approximate pole gaps:
Untitled.png

What a dreadful race. Nothing at the front, in the midfield or at the back. The only positive thing I can say is I hope the World Cup ends in the same order.

A thinking person's race. A bit "old school" (sorry to use a Yankism) where it was a case of watching the tactical plays, lap times and gaps leading up to the overtakes which were not as easy as they looked. Not too good for the blip-vert fan but I personally found it intriguing.

Astounding fuel and tyre management from Hamilton which must at last (please) put the related myths to bed. Brilliant recovery from a torrid start by Rosberg and great drives from Alonso and Ricciardo. Hard to judge the rest of the pack other than to say WTF has happened to McLaren? Dire.

Mercedes have the advantage until the end of season.. fuel efficient, and more power than the rest ...only area not as good as downforce which is still with Red Bull

Trouble is the Renault engine is seriously lacking straightline speed and the only tracks I think Red Bull have a real chance are Monaco and Hungary because of minimal long straights

Yet another snooze fest. Mercs so dominant it is ridiculous and proves nothing about the relative merits of all of the drivers.

Back
Top Bottom