Grand Prix 2014 Belgian Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

The Formula One season hosts its greatest irony every August; that its race in Belgium is famous and successful partly because it is built into the side of a hill. And while the supposed difficulty of naming 5 famous Belgians is a cliché, naming 5 famous corners at Spa is easy. Pouhon, Stavelot, Blanchimont, Bus Stop and La Source, for example. There's a lot of debate about that other corner's difficulty in 2014's F1 cars, but Eau Rouge is and always will be an inspiring sight.

The battle at the front is, as always likely to involve Mercedes cars. Lewis Hamilton has won the Belgian Grand Prix a number of times more than 0 and less than 3 in the past, but will surely hope to actually be in with a sniff of victory after Saturday's qualifying session. Rosberg's run of poles has been rather unchallenged more recently, but his last few opposed sessions have also resulted in starts from the front. He has an 11 point lead to defend, which makes this rather more fun than certain other teams dominating.

Who is most likely to challenge? Or, even more likely, finish third? Well, on a high-speed circuit such as this, Mercedes customers surely must stand a massive advantage, meaning Williams in particular look likely to take out that second row, unless more poor prime tyre work as they did in Hungary. It is traditionally Force India's best chance to take the good points at Spa and Monza too, so watch out for them.

Red Bull and Ferrari are, as usual, most likely to lead the charges for their respective engines. Ferrari seem to have decided to coincide their perennial bloodletting with their best result of the season, which is an odd choice, while Seb Vettel will be hoping to come good on the promise of the last two weeks and finally start to beat Ricciardo. It is a better circuit for the Bulls than Christian Horner would have you believe.

With the chance of rain never zero and a range of corners guaranteed to entertain, the Belgian Grand Prix is a perennial highlight, long may it reign, and lets hope 2014 will be as good as some of the great moments of Spas gone by.

And so you are saying his intent was to take Lewis out of the race? If I read your post correctly, a high risk strategy to say the least.

I find it strange that a comment from Lewis which was obviously bias, after all we were not in the meeting but we can assume it was obviously heated and tempers were frayed on both sides that one party said something in anger and the other party latched onto it to stir the shit, has swayed not only yours but every Lewis fans initial opinion that it was just a racing incident, even though Toto has come out and said that his comment was said in anger and has been taken out of context regarding the situation, have you never said anything in the heat of the moment maybe in a row with your partner that you did not mean.?

I believe that Nico just snapped in the heat of the moment in that meeting and made a comment just to annoy and rattle Lewis.

Can you prove otherwise KekeTheKing ?

I have to say I'm a little disappointed by Mercedes as a whole at the moment. Rosberg's obviously carrying some lasting resentment over what has happened in previous races. He was annoyed (I think rightly) over Hamilton's overly robust defence in Bahrain, (coupled with Hamilton using an engine mode he was told he couldn't use) to defend. The team order thing in Hungary has caused more tension. Yes, it was wrong of the team to ask Hamilton to let him through, and unsurprisingly, Hamilton didn't. At the time, I thought he was right not to let him through and still do. The problem was the order shouldn't have been given in the first place. Rosberg obviously thought an order is an order and should have been obeyed. These two are employees, and are supposed to do as they're told, so Rosberg was aggrieved that not only did Hamilton disobey a team order, he also got Mercedes backing for ignoring it. He should have been told "we were wrong to issue the order, but if we tell you to do something, you do it".

I don't think the current set up at Merc is doing them any favours. Lauda is a loose cannon and shoots his mouth off at any opportunity. I thought their handling of yesterday's (racing) incident was disgraceful. Regardless of blame, hanging your driver out to dry in public, while he's still out there racing is bang out of order. Brawn would never have done that. Did Rosberg take Hamilton out on purpose? No chance. To hit the only part of the tyre that would cause a puncture, with something you can't see would take an immense amount of skill coupled with incredible luck.

Rosberg's alleged comment about "doing it on purpose", was most likely him losing his rag when the whole bloody team ganged up on him in their "meeting". Even Sky questioned him like the prosecution in a murder trial. The whole thing was pathetic.

Did Rosberg make an error? Yes. He did get a significant portion of his car alongside entering Les Combes, but then realised he wouldn't make it and started to back out. I think the second turn of the wheel was to try to tuck back in behind Hamilton, rather than go over the chicane and lose further places, and he just slightly misjudged it.

Hamilton coming out and making the content of the meeting public is also not on. it's not his job, and smacks of trying to get Rosberg into further trouble. Despite Hamilton's mechanical issues this year putting him on the back foot, the situation with Rosberg has been stoked by his comments about Rosberg's upbringing, nationality, desire to win etc. At some point, Rosberg was going to fight back, and I think that if Hamilton had just kept quiet and got on with it, rather than trying to get into Rosberg's head he'd be better off.

Who was it that managed to pull off an overtake around the outside of someone at Les Combes? I'd be interested in comparing footage of that to the Vettel/Hamilton and Rosberg/Hamilton incidents at Les Combes on lap 1 and lap 2.

Also how the **** can you forbid a driver to use an engine mode when he knows it will give him an advantage? Which takes me back to the question Merc have really ****ed up their driver management, maybe due to the fact that they know that if they utilized that car to it's full advantage they could lap the entire field at almost every race..

I thought that at the time Rosberg used it, it wasn't forbidden per se, he used the setting on his own initiative. Which then was copied by Hamilton on advise of his engineer.
And that afterwards Mercedes issued that the drivers weren't allowed to change to this setting without authorization.

I always found it totally baffling as to why all that mallarkey about engine settings was even an issue at all.

1) The idea behind letting your drivers race each other is to go as fast as possible without running out of fuel.
2) Neither driver ran out of fuel.

So what was that all about?

Last edited:
Most likely it's an engine setting that puts more stress on the engine, which means there's more risk of a DNF, which isn't what they want. They want to save the engine as much as possible, The aim is to win with the slowest speed possible. If you have a signficant advantage to the other teams, there's no need to push your cars to the limit and risk getting a DNF.
Mercedes (drivers) crossing their limit is why Ricciardo has 3 wins which he shouldn't have gotten if everything had run smoothly with Mercedes.

I understand that Wombcat but in reality it surely is impossible for drivers to apply between two team-mates competing for the title when you consider what is at stake?
They'll always go for whatever advantage they can gain.

Last edited:
Drivers will try everything to win. It's up to the team to manage that. Mercedes haven't managed it really well, I think we can agree on that.

It's more than worrying. If stewards are rewarding "sporting cunning", a phrase that sounds like "cheating" if you use it often enough, then they need their P45s and pronto.

Having watched the race, the onboards, the forums, the highlights, the discussion, and the race again a couple times, one thing became strikingly clear. It was not the collision with Hamilton on Lap 2 that cost Rosberg the Grand Prix. It was without question the massive triple lockup while fighting with Vettel that was the more costly error. The vibration was so bad that Mercedes responded to his concerns by saying the vibration was "on the limit", and a pit stop was quickly deemed necessary.

Nico confirmed this fact himself in the immediate post-race aftermath to Ricciardo. Danny says to Rosberg "You wanted to pit, or you just had to try?" To which Nico replied, "Well, Pffft, I locked up the front passing Sebastian."

This was easily overlooked with everything else that was going on, and it's obvious the accident had an impact on his race, but in the end it did not lose the Grand Prix outright, the lockup and additional pit stop did.

Back
Top Bottom