Grand Prix 2014 Belgian Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

The Formula One season hosts its greatest irony every August; that its race in Belgium is famous and successful partly because it is built into the side of a hill. And while the supposed difficulty of naming 5 famous Belgians is a cliché, naming 5 famous corners at Spa is easy. Pouhon, Stavelot, Blanchimont, Bus Stop and La Source, for example. There's a lot of debate about that other corner's difficulty in 2014's F1 cars, but Eau Rouge is and always will be an inspiring sight.

The battle at the front is, as always likely to involve Mercedes cars. Lewis Hamilton has won the Belgian Grand Prix a number of times more than 0 and less than 3 in the past, but will surely hope to actually be in with a sniff of victory after Saturday's qualifying session. Rosberg's run of poles has been rather unchallenged more recently, but his last few opposed sessions have also resulted in starts from the front. He has an 11 point lead to defend, which makes this rather more fun than certain other teams dominating.

Who is most likely to challenge? Or, even more likely, finish third? Well, on a high-speed circuit such as this, Mercedes customers surely must stand a massive advantage, meaning Williams in particular look likely to take out that second row, unless more poor prime tyre work as they did in Hungary. It is traditionally Force India's best chance to take the good points at Spa and Monza too, so watch out for them.

Red Bull and Ferrari are, as usual, most likely to lead the charges for their respective engines. Ferrari seem to have decided to coincide their perennial bloodletting with their best result of the season, which is an odd choice, while Seb Vettel will be hoping to come good on the promise of the last two weeks and finally start to beat Ricciardo. It is a better circuit for the Bulls than Christian Horner would have you believe.

With the chance of rain never zero and a range of corners guaranteed to entertain, the Belgian Grand Prix is a perennial highlight, long may it reign, and lets hope 2014 will be as good as some of the great moments of Spas gone by.

It was the interesting race.
But as a fact coming off the favorite of the race Hamilton early in the race is very upset.
There would have been more fighting with him in the race.

As a Hamilton fan I was prepared to say it was a racing incident ....however even with Toto Wolff's wording it seems that Nico Did not back down just to prove a point..... Now sorry for saying so but if he knows he could have avoided contact and says he deliberately did not...is that not classed as deliberately causing a collision.??? Confused....

I said there would be consequences for Lewis not letting Nico through at Hungary.
Why should he have let him through?
They are both fighting for the championship.

If Rosberg was fast enough, he would have got past.
He wasn't, therefore he didn't.

As for the suggestion that this is some sort of revenge by Rosberg, if it is, he should have the book thrown at him.
The race track is no place for that sort of behaviour.

I believe what Nico was getting at was that he was deliberately refusing to back down, not deliberately causing a collision. The way he sees it is that the collision was a consequence of neither of them backing down and the point he is making is that he shouldn't always have to be the guy who backs down.

Last edited:
The way I see it is that Lewis said if he wants to get by then he is going to have to pass me I'm not letting him through and Nico took this as a challenge he stuck his nose in there as a statement saying I'm not scared of racing you and I will overtake I'm not going away, this does not mean he intentionally caused the accident.

Put it this way my brother in law was having a row with my sister so he made a noose hung it above the stairs and stuck his head in it, he did not mean to hang himself as he started messing around but unfortunately he slipped and was killed instantly he maybe to blame but it wasn't his intent to die just like Nico maybe to blame but it wasn't his intent to take Lewis out of the race..

Last edited:
I believe what Nico was getting at was that he was deliberately refusing to back down, not deliberately causing a collision. The way he sees it is that the collision was a consequence of neither of them backing down and the point he is making is that he shouldn't always have to be the guy who backs down.
True : but that would mean he has to be in front.....

I suspect Nico will regret his actions, it's one thing showing your team mate you're not scared to challenge but stupidity to play chicken on a race track. What was he thinking of?! His debrief comments haven't exactly helped either. No wonder Toto isn't happy, its not good for the team image.
Mercedes sponsors may not want to be associated with this debarcle.
Out of interest, does anyone know what the team will do with Nico that's not a slap on the wrist?

Back
Top Bottom