Grand Prix 2014 Austrian Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

F1 is back In Speilberg, Austria for the first time in 11 years.

The Speilberg race track has a long history in F1. The original track was know as the Osterrelchring. The track was built in 1969 to replace the Zeltweg airfield circuit, and first debuted in F1 in 1970. It was a very fast circuit with every corner a fast sweeping spectacle meaning drivers never had to drop below 3rd gear. However large sections of the track had little run off and some sections including the start finish straight were very narrow. Mark Donohue’s death in 1975 resulted in alterations to the Vost-Hugel Kurve and in 1977 the Hella-Licht chicane was added. After that Allan Prost pushed for larger run off’s rather than more track alterations. These followed in some, but not all corners.

The Osterrelchring was a regular offering until 1987 when the turbo era pushed engine power up to 1400 bhp in quailfying. The speeds achieved approaching the Bosch Kurve were well over 200mph, a corner still with little run off. Other corners were also very fast and the track was considered to be dangerous and having out grown F1’s in its new faster era.

But the real crunch came after two restarts were required in 1987 due to crashes caused by the narrow start finish straight. With the cars now over 6 feet wide, the straight was not wide enough to get much more than 2 cars side by side. F1 had had enough, and Austria was dropped in favour of Budapest.

The track gradually fell into disrepair until the Austrian Telephone Company paid for it’s revamping by Herman Tilke in return for it being renamed the A1-Ring. The A1-Ring returned to the calendar in 1997. Most of the fast corners had gone in favour of 3 tight corners introduced to give more overtaking opportunities. It was also much shorter, down from 3.67 miles too just 2.68 miles. The A1 Ring enjoyed a 7 year run until it was again dropped after 2003.

In 2004 the pit buildings and grandstands were demolished in anticipation of building new facilities. Then the money ran out. This rendered the track unusable for any motorsport. It lay abandoned until Red Bull started 70million Euro renovation works in 2008. The track reopened in 2011 as the renamed Red Bull Ring.

And now we’re back.

We are now past 1/3rd distance in the season. In the Constructors Championship the Mercedes looks more or less unbeatable barring double ERS failures. It seems unlikey anyone will find 1-2 second a lap over them in the next few races in order to amount a challenge. I think it is more likely it will be the end of the season before things close up.

However Mercedes ‘no number 1’ policy is giving us a great battle between Lewis and Nico for the World Drivers Championship. With Nico now 22 points clear following Lewis's 2nd DNF of the year, Lewis really has a challenge on now to catch Rosberg. I'm sure he is hoping for a good luck, bad luck switch with his team mate.

Great to see Dan taking his first win, and with The Red Bull Ring being Red Bulls home track who knows we may see him on the top step again.

Somehow I think this ain't over by a long shot.

Here is the debacle that was 1987.
1987 start 1 crash
1987 start 2 crash

Last edited:
Yup I was wondering about this in chat:

"I was asking myself why Merc' (or anyone else for that matter) didn't fuel for enough laps to do a "racing pitstop" so to let the guys dial themselves in for the quick lap or two. What happened there was a typical risk for such a short circuit."

I can't recall specific occasions but teams have have screwed up on short circuits because if underestimating the "benefits" of short laps and blowing opportunities by letting the time run out on them. They seem to forget that any mistake is so much more costly especially on such a short and very technically challenging track like Austria.

Edit: Oh, and Monaco is another good example. How often have we seen this sort of "upset" to the established order there?*

Edit 2: *... not necessarily at the top end of the grid, I hasten to add.:facepalm:

Last edited:
The reason for only fuelling for one lap is that the weight of the fuel for the second lap could cost the driver who would also be on tyres which were past their best. Both the Mercedes drivers had two bites at the cherry, normally you would expect them both to get it right at least once.

The reason for only fuelling for one lap is that the weight of the fuel for the second lap could cost the driver who would also be on tyres which were past their best. Both the Mercedes drivers had two bites at the cherry, normally you would expect them both to get it right at least once.

That's true, doing two laps is clearly not as efficient as doing one lap, but the fuel penalty is only about 0.05 seconds, which is considerably less that the time loss of missing an apex.

... and there is also the speculation that the softer tyre appeared to bed in better over an extra lap. That was mentioned in the Canada commentary and I think I heard it today as well although I'm not sure if that applied to many of the teams though.

There were many drivers today what did their fastest lap on their second consecutive run, which isn't totally surprising over such a short lap. Some cars take longer than others to get their tyres into temperature and I think that was a crucial factor today.

As someone said earlier, the very same thing that proved an advantage for Williams today could well prove to be what hampers them tomorrow. They were able to get good temperatures into their tyres from the word go. Does this mean they will also degrade quicker tomorrow?

Could be a cracking race tomorrow, wwith Hamilton anxious to move up quickly early on, especially if either Alonso or Ricciardo can get ahead of Rosberg at the start.

Last edited:
As someone said earlier, the very same thing that proved an advantage for Williams today could well prove to be what hampers them tomorrow. They were able to get good temperatures into their tyres from the word go. Does this mean they will also degrade quicker tomorrow?

That may well be. The Williams' seem to be harder on the tyres than their rivals (Red Bull, Force India), which may stem from car characteristics that allow the tyres to warm up more easily. However, track characteristics play an important role for this to be an advantage or disadvantage; see Rosberg's win in 2012, where the low temperatures and the limited rear tyre wear played into his car's strengths. Probably the start-stop nature of the Red Bull Ring doesn't allow the tyres to overheat, so Williams may be safe.

However, the Mercedes' are considerable faster on the soft tyre, so I expect them to dominate the race again after the pitstops.

Hamilton show Ideal lap (sum of best sectors) in the Q3 of qual.
1 - Lewis Hamilton - 1:08,658 (lost)
2 - Felipe Massa - 1:08,751 ( lost 0,008)
3 - Nico Rosberg - 1:08,756 (lost 0,188)
4 - Valtteri Bottas - 1:08,846 (lost 0,000)
5 - Fernando Alonso - 1:09,025 (lost 0,260)
6 - Kevin Magnussen - 1:09,288 (lost 0,227)
7 - Daniil Kvyat - 1:09,336 (lost 0,283)
8 - Daniel Ricciardo - 1:09,375 (lost 0,091)
9 - Kimi Raikkonen - 1:09,581 (lost 1,214)
10 - Nico Hulkenberg - 1:09,586 (lost)

The most recent communique regarding this only refers to scrubbing times achieved during qualy'. I would imagine there will be some degree of discretion in the race dependent upon the circumstances - i.e.whether or not an advantage is gained. Usually a driver suspected of crossing whites line repeatedly will be given a warning and gets penalised if they ignore that.

From Charlie W. :
Note to Teams
Further to the discussion in the drivers meeting yesterday evening I would like to remind all teams
and drivers that we will adopt a “zero tolerance” approach to cars leaving the track on the exit of turn
8 during qualifying. Unless we are satisfied that a driver left the track at this point for reasons beyond
his control, e.g. he was forced off the track and lost time, every lap time achieved by leaving the track
will be deleted in accordance with Article 12.3.1.d of the Sporting Code.
I would also like to remind you that the white lines defining the track edges are considered part of the
track but the kerbs are
not.

Courtesy of the Red Bull FB page.

10378160_717520801627745_6104427722232871949_n.jpg
"Formula One Legends Patrick Friesacher and Christian Klien" :snigger:LOL

I am interested to see what will become of the Mercedes in turbulent, warm air following other cars for many laps. Rosberg will likely take the lead early on (first 5 laps) if the Williams tyres munch their way through the grip with a hot track but Hamilton will likely be trailing others for very much longer. I know it's a faster circuit than Canda but will brakes become an issue again?

I can see Lewis going on a charge and having a Germany '08/China '11 type race, fighting through the field, he was four tenths up on #BOTTAS in his first lap before going wide which would've been a comfortable pole, whereas Rosberg and Massa get a bit too close for comfort.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom