Grand Prix 2013 United States Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

So we head back to Texas for the second time since its inception. Can we hope that the exceptional racing last year will induce Bernie to leave it on the calendar for a couple more years at least? That will probably be down to this year’s result and his ability to run things from a jail cell! Al Capone managed it though!

Over 117 thousand peeps rocked up to watch the inaugural GP. If that level of interest is maintained this year, the economics could forestall any negative plans that BE might have for this track.

For a Tilke track, it was received well by most drivers and fans alike. It was something new and unknown and it certainly tested the drivers and the fans’ expectations. 2012 was a ‘good’ race.

However, in 2012 we weren’t quite sure that RBR had taken both the WCC and the WDC – this year there is no such uncertainty.

We are now looking at a race that will involve the drivers who suddenly come to life at contract time; those who have a point to prove; those who are retiring or in limbo. Those who haven’t been paid seem to have their own agenda – the grid maybe a tad smaller, if only by one.

We saw elements of this in Abu Dhabi with Massa, Perez and Gutierrez pulling their respective fingers out. Kimi driving with his eyes shut, even Webber was hoping for a better-than-usual result. Whilst Kimi gave up the will to live, Grosjean thought “sod it, I’m here to race”.

Vettel, of course, will prove a point and, maybe, add to his impressive tally of records. Of course, he didn’t win in 2012, so that will probably be his goal in Austin.

For some drivers, there is all to play for. For others, they are there to fulfil their contract. We, the fans, have no influence here!

But how will it be for the disillusioned fan and there seem to be many? Those who have lost faith in F1 in general. It would be great to believe that Austin will once again rekindle a passion for racing – it was an eye opener last year and, hopefully, again this year.

I’m still an optimist and hope to see some stunning racing on a better-than-average track. As ever it will be down to the drivers and their desire to win.

Last edited:
it is and just taking Perez and Hamilton's fastest sectors, Perez is higher by a tenth. maybe this is one for the 'perfect lap' thread.

Finally watched quali, are we expecting the same issues for the dirty side of the track at the start as last year? Gutted for Webber thought he had it in the bag this time.

I think that's their fastest overall sector times rather than the sector times on their fastest lap?

Yeah, that's what sprung to my mind after I had posted it. I can vaguely remember Webber setting a 31.8 in the last sector during his last run in Qualifying.

You remember correctly Plutus. I just grabbed a couple screenshots for you.

Webber's last run

Weblastlap.jpg

Vettel's

Vetlastlap.jpg

Yeah, well you have to go all the way back to Spa for the last time he got better than 5th in a race, and he is only just 5th on the grid with the king of the first lap, Fernando Alonso, right behind him.

And I doubt anyone can take 2nd away from Webber, here or Brazil, that car is just too good.

Button's car broke down on the driver parade, as if he hasn't had a crap enough weekend. Played it well with the crowd though.

Very interesting piece on the Skypad just then, revealing another secret of the RBR's success. The humid conditions yesterday allowed us to see how the Red Bull's front wing controls the vortex along the side of the car to "seal" the airflow under the car higher than the competition. Along with the Coanda effect at the rear diffuser this allows them to maintain good ground effect yet raise the rer of the car. In comparison the Ferrari's wing just spills the air out behind the front wheels creating turbulence and therefore drag.

Back
Top Bottom