Grand Prix 2013 Spanish Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

Four races into the season and we have seen three different winners. Sebastian Vettel won twice, Kimi Raikkonen and Fernando Alonso once each.
Vettel leads the WDC (77 points), followed by Raikkonen (67), Lewis Hamilton (50) and Alonso (47). So the race for the WDC still looks pretty open. It's great to see drivers from four different teams competing for the top spot.

The Circuit de Catalunya hosts the Spanish Grand Prix for the 23rd time. It's a track, which all the teams know exceptionally well from pre-season testing, so probably they won't experience major set-up issues...It also very often leads to pretty boring races. Last year we had a shocking victory for Williams' Pastor Maldonado, who this season doesn't have the car to compete for wins. Also his own driving looks pretty average at best.

Let's have a closer look at the current form of the four contenders for the WDC this year:

Sebastian Vettel will hope to continue his strong form, that enabled him to win the Bahrain Grand Prix pretty easily. He finished on the podium three times, and never finished worse than 4th. He overcame the controversy of the Malaysian GP and looks to be on course for a strong season again.

Kimi Raikkonen has finished on the podium three times this season and seems to be as consistent as last season. His last race in Bahrain was pretty strong. After starting eigth on the grid, he managed to finish second.

Lewis Hamilton had a pretty good start to the season. He's clearly outscoring his teammate Nico Rosberg (50-14) and seems to have matured a lot as well. His driving is much more composed, leading to him being able to deal with the tyres much better than Rosberg, who struggled throughout the most parts of the last race (From Pole Position to 9th).

Fernando Alonso had two very strong races (Australia and China) and two poor races, which were hampered by strange decisions (Malaysia) and mechanical failures (Bahrain). He'll hope for a trouble-free race in Spain, which should get him closer to Sebastian Vettel in the Championship. Another low finish though could mean that the gap to the German three-time champion could start to get bigger significantly.

Let's see how the race pans out! Have fun and discuss!

Lewis should have went out on used options for his first run, just for a feel of the track and to push the limits that little bit more

I wonder why Lewis didn't save a new set of options, which he could have used during Q3, because he said during the post qualifying interview, that he didn't " have 2 options at the end, which may have helped. " Lewis and Nico along with Sebastian and Mark used the option tires during Q1, while Ferrari and Lotus used the hard tires during the same session......hmmmm.

The Mercedes pair will be decisive in the race tomorrow. I don't see either Hamilton or Rosberg as a contender for the victory, however depending on who (Alonso, Vettel, Raikkonen) clears them and how quickly they may just have a stop-gap if the Mercs can buy them some time. The only way I see a Mercedes winning is if one of them makes an effort to dissapear while the other decides to hold the field up, something I doubt the team would do.

Vettel is going to have difficulty overtaking too, he was the 3rd slowest driver through speedtrap. Conversely Alonso was the fastest, Raikkonen and the Mercedes pair are middle of the pack.

My money is on Alonso.

I wonder why Lewis didn't save a new set of options, which he could have used during Q3, because he said during the post qualifying interview, that he didn't " have 2 options at the end, which may have helped. " Lewis and Nico along with Sebastian and Mark used the option tires during Q1, while Ferrari and Lotus used the hard tires during the same session......hmmmm.

Hamilton used two sets of tyres in Q2, Rosberg only used one. Hence Hamilton could only do one run in Q3.

Jos the Boss I don't think Lewis winning will make much difference to ticket sales at Silverstone the event is always pretty much sold out anyway. although Vettel winning all the time (Or any single driver winning all the time.) doesn't do the sales any good (At Silverstone or any other track.) a win from Kimi, Alonso or even Rosberg would do just as much good as as a win from Lewis for ticket sales.

Not every British F1 fan is a Lewis fan you know, some of them are even fans of the finger.

What Derrik Warwick may or may not have said doesn't make it gospel, we live in a multi cultural society there are plenty of Spaniards Finns and Germans who live in Britain.

Show me some figures to back it up and I'll believe it, but like I said the event will probably be sold out anyway, it always is....

We live in Britain, multicultural or not the majority of fans there are British and have mainly been McLaren. A British winner will make it more popular and the best hope as present is Hamilton and I expect to see considerable number of Mercedes hats. I for one am breaking tradition and not going this year.

I have a feeling the Derek Warwick, as president of the BRDC may have insight into the Silverstone ticket sales metrics ;)

I hope Mercedes make it across the line first, but I can't really see it right now. I think they have exactly the same problem as the last few years, but rather than having almost front runner speed over a single lap and dropping a second a lap on a run, they now lead over a single lap and drop a second a lap on a run...

Back
Top Bottom