Grand Prix 2013 Japanese Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

Korea almost provided an exciting race, helped with a liberal sprinkling of safety cars, but nothing could stop Vettel scampering off into the lead which he only lost for a few laps during the obligatory pit stops. Japan, at the traditional and technically demanding Suzuka circuit, is up next and last year Vettel took the Grand Chelem so I suspect the race winner, mechanical problems aside, is almost pre-determined.

The real race then looks to be for second. Lotus managed two on the podium in Korea with Romain Grosjean being a bit unhappy on the 3rd step. Mercedes flattered to deceive in qualifying, as they have done so many times this season, and struggled in the race with more tyre issues. Fernando Alonso has to have a good result to keep his wafer thin Drivers Championship chances alive.

Sauber performed well at Suzuka last year and after 4th in Korea Nico Hulkenberg will be looking to keep himself in the shop window for a better drive in 2014. Behind this lot there is not much going on. McLaren will qualify badly and then do better in the race. Will Paul di Resta manage a 5th consecutive dnf? Who will Adrian Sutil run into this weekend? I'm sure both Toro Rosso drivers will have different motivations; Ricciardo to prove Red Bull made the right choice promoting him to the senior team, Vergne to show they made the wrong decision.

I'd love to see Williams do well this weekend but somehow don't think they will. Caterham and Marussia must be hoping for a wet race to stand any chance of getting close to some points, we'll have to wait and see if their luck is in. Have I forgotten anyone? Oh yes, Felipe Massa. He was second last year but there is about as much chance of that happening again as I have of making the British Ladies Olympic Netball Team - go on Felipe prove me wrong and I'll go for the try-outs!

Last edited:
There's always a chance that Webber won't squeeze Vettel off the road, but leave enough space for Grosjean to get round the both of them. If this happens the order into turn 1 could well be Grosjean, Massa, Webber, Vettel, frickin' Hamilton.

I may well do a Hamilton and watch the start then head back off to bed after Vettel has cleared a 2 second gap by lap 3.

Well, you miserable buggers, we had a motor race and even an overtake for the lead. Vettel showing he can mix it up even if he's not in the lead at turn 1. Great drive from Grosjean, him and Hulkenberg should be quite a team at Lotus next year and Webber showing, yet again, he's not very good at overtaking.

Enjoyed that, bloody good race and a (win)fingering good result.

Great race! I'm sure the haters will find a way to suggest Vettel didn't win it fair and square but he was pushed all the way today and came out on top.

What a difference a year makes for Grosjean eh? He's really starting to look like the real deal.

I don't usually say well done to Mark Webber but he kept in it today and denied his challenge by some good defensive drive by Grosjean. Also its good to see him happy on the podium and being genuine when he said he did all he could.

Dissapointed with Kimi and Alonso again!

Hulk does his usual great job and a special word for Esteban Guttierrez with his first points finish and an excellent 7th.

Honestly thought Webber could do it on that strategy, would have been able to if he could have passed Grosjean. Then again, strategy was formed by first stint when Webber couldn't go as long. Vettel did make a few mistakes today, I think Grosjean had an amazing performance. Great to see Esteban Gutierrez in the points for the first time

RasputinLives No booing I don't think its in Japanese people's nature to boo win or lose - they are supposed to be quite honorable people unless they've got links to the yakuza ( if they are not wacky)

----------------------------------------------------------------
I have to give credit to Vettel for driving a Schumacher / Prost like race where he kept in touch with the leaders and then upped his pace at the right time to win

As for Webber - when he went up to Grosjean he was not as decisive probably because of what happened last year - suggestions that he was maybe used as a decoy for Vettel to fool Grosjean and Lotus so Seb can bolt it in a clear track by Gary Anderson

Mark feels aggrieved that the strategy was a mistake

-----------------

You know the luck is really going for you when you make one of your poorer starts of the season and managed to accidentally take a rival out of the race ( Hamilton) whilst your car suffers damage but was still in one piece and still win the race

Hamilton made a good getaway and probably would have held up Vettel for a few laps at least

Il_leone - I know, it looked like Massa had a decent run too until Hamilton inadvertently forced him wide. Who knows, could have seen either a Webber win, or Lotus not get stuck in strategy quicksand trying to cover 2 Red Bulls at once.

There is no way it was in anyway Vettels fault that Hamilton got a puncture accidentally or otherwise, Lewis got a great start and cut across Vettels nose if there is blame to be apportioned which I don't think there is, then it would have to be apportioned to Lewis he had already made the choice that he was going to cut Vettel off by the way he positioned his car on the grid pointing it towards Vettel, it was a gamble Lewis made and it didn't pay off...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom