Grand Prix 2013 Indian Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

Here's CTA's discussion thread on the Indian GP, as F1 travels to New Delhi from October 25-27:

WDC:

Despite the best efforts of Webber and RoGro, Vettel needs only a fifth place finish to secure his 4th title, which means its all over in the WDC. But the drivers down the grid have more than pride at stake.

Alonso's lack of performance over the last 2 races, better pace from Hamilton and Kimi and the lack of any bad luck for Webber means that the 2nd to 5th positions in the WDC are yet to be settled. And good performances (or the lack of it) from several drivers (Hulkenberg, Massa, Sutil, Di Resta to name a few) could still determine where (and if) they are driving next season.

WCC:

RBR may be on the verge of winning the WCC, but only 33 points separate 2nd placed Ferrari from 4th placed Lotus, and the battle for 2nd position (very important from a monetary standpoint) is poised to go down to the last couple of races. Sauber and McLaren may have secured their respective positions from their rivals, but can McLaren get that elusive podium to avoid the record books from being rewritten.

Circuit and Race:

Despite having an interesting track layout, with each and every lap of the Indian GP being led by Vettel to date, its no wonder that the past races don't trigger too many memories. And with race not being held next year, a good race and crowd support will be essential for the race to return in 2015.

But throw in some encouraging signs from the Japanese GP (atleast Vettel didn't win it in Lap 1) and the tyre degradation battles in the last 2 races (tracks similar in nature to the BIC) and who knows, we could have an interesting Indian GP. But one things for sure, it will be a pleasant surprise if we dont see that finger....

I'm still hopeful for an interesting race tomorrow. Vettel's still the favourite but we could be for a surprise if:

- Rosberg or Hammy somehow get
In front of Vettel at the start
- Vettel's tyres give way as some are predicting. He takes an early stop and gets stuck in traffic
- mark doesn't screw up his start again

One "if" too many but hoping for the best :popcorn:

Have to say I'm interested to see if Mark can capitalise on what seems to be a strategic advantage..... here's hoping :whistle:

Obviously my FF1 prevents me from wanting the winfinger doing anything other than scratching Seb's arse

Just for those who missed it Webber, Alonso, Perez and Button qualified on the medium tyres, the remainder qualified on the softs. What the medium drivers are hoping is that the softs will not last long, causing the early pit stoppers to drop back into the pack and get held up.

Presumably Webber was the RBR sacrificial lamb (?!) to be ahead of Alonso when the early pit stops have taken plac and to keep in front of him until they both pit. If you knock a second off Alonso's time it is quite conceivable that he would have been third on the grid (Webber would most likely have gone out on softs as well) so it was a much better qualy performance than he has had of late.

Hmmm we'll see about this 'one second delta' stuff I guess. Personally I don't think they can really say hand on heart heart they know the difference between each tyres performance from car to car with different fuel loads. How many times have we seem them wrong of late?

As for Alonso having a better qualifying of late its still left him in a mess. He's down in 8th and will be held up in the pack which will lose him his advantage on rubber because by the time the softs go off Vettel, and probably Kimi if he can jump the Mercs will have a pit stop on him anyway.

One thought, those that will start on the medium tyres will have fewer sets for the race. Wonder if that will have any effect toward the end of the race.

Congrats to Sebastian Vettel and Red Bull. They truely have done a better job than everyone else all season and certainly today in India.

So once again Vettel puts pay to the myth he can't come through the pack.

RoGro shows he has matured enough to
not get involved in argy bargy in the pack and come through on a good strategy.

Kimi shows he really doesn't give a crap about anyone else (that attitude is looking less and less cool now days).

And well done to Mr Perez on a good drive today. Been very critical of him in the past but today he did everything right.

As expected Alonso and Webber lost the race for being down in the pack and hopefully learn that track position means far more than projected strategy.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom