Grand Prix 2013 Indian Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

Here's CTA's discussion thread on the Indian GP, as F1 travels to New Delhi from October 25-27:

WDC:

Despite the best efforts of Webber and RoGro, Vettel needs only a fifth place finish to secure his 4th title, which means its all over in the WDC. But the drivers down the grid have more than pride at stake.

Alonso's lack of performance over the last 2 races, better pace from Hamilton and Kimi and the lack of any bad luck for Webber means that the 2nd to 5th positions in the WDC are yet to be settled. And good performances (or the lack of it) from several drivers (Hulkenberg, Massa, Sutil, Di Resta to name a few) could still determine where (and if) they are driving next season.

WCC:

RBR may be on the verge of winning the WCC, but only 33 points separate 2nd placed Ferrari from 4th placed Lotus, and the battle for 2nd position (very important from a monetary standpoint) is poised to go down to the last couple of races. Sauber and McLaren may have secured their respective positions from their rivals, but can McLaren get that elusive podium to avoid the record books from being rewritten.

Circuit and Race:

Despite having an interesting track layout, with each and every lap of the Indian GP being led by Vettel to date, its no wonder that the past races don't trigger too many memories. And with race not being held next year, a good race and crowd support will be essential for the race to return in 2015.

But throw in some encouraging signs from the Japanese GP (atleast Vettel didn't win it in Lap 1) and the tyre degradation battles in the last 2 races (tracks similar in nature to the BIC) and who knows, we could have an interesting Indian GP. But one things for sure, it will be a pleasant surprise if we dont see that finger....

Seb pays homage to an outstanding motor car.

1377214_546310235449380_843638619_n.jpg

€25,000 fine and reprimand for the Vet for not proceeding to parc fermé at the end of the race.

Apparently, he would have got more than that if it weren't for special circumstances.

This race summed up what is wrong with the FIA in my mind. Firstly, track limits. Apparently you can exceed them as much as you like in qualifying, but you better not in the race. However, the FIA didn't do anything about those exceeding the track limits today. I saw so many cars going four wheels over the white line throughout the race it was unreal. Why have rules and regulations if you aren't going to enforce them?

Secondly, and I know this flies I. The face of my above point, why penalize Vettel for celebrating? I know he was supposed to go straight to parc ferme but he just equalled Alain Prost's championship tally. Let's give him a few minutes to have some fun and give something to the fans that they loved seeing, celebration.

Fan: it was so nice to see Seb have some fun and celebrate along with the fans.
FIA: Yes the podium celebration was fun. We are glad you enjoy the none awkward or cringe worthy post race interviews.
Fan: no, I mean the celebrations on the track.
FIA: What? Not on my watch mother ****er. Penalty

Last edited by a moderator:
Also, congratulations to Seb. I called this result back in Aus after Q3 I believe. I must have been the only one to make that prediction. LOL

Congratulations to Seb, however...

this did not make him the best driver on the grid;
Alonso's first corner problems were not his fault and didn't ruin Button's race;
Webber's grid position did not define the fact he couldn't finish;
Oh and Seb's strategy, brilliant in line with the bizarrely extended DRS zones, great exploitation of a rule that is the work of the devil...

I thought the director was rubbish missing the action, but then reckon that most of it happened in the DRs zones.

Why Seb got a fine when he was about the only one able to complete a wind down lap is a complete mystery to me - seems like the FIA always likes to get their cut of a champion's bonus.

OK, I admit it, I was choring through large parts of the race, but there do seem to be a fair number of sweeping statements out there.

White lines are white lines in any part of the race, donuts are a no-no and if you can't make it back to parc ferme you should be disqualified.

Alternatively, make it up as you go along.

Disappointed with Alonso, Kimi and Button. Amazed at Grosjean, Massa and Perez - why do some only 'perform' at contract time? And happy for Mercedes. Gutted for Webber (again) and Hulkenberg.

A funny old race :disappointed:

Alonso's first corner problems were not his fault and didn't ruin Button's race;
How do you come to that conclusion? Alonso slammed into the side of Buttons car causing him to lose places and caused tyre damage and probably some aero damage as well, forcing him to make an early stop, before that he was on the same strategy as his team mate, that incident didn't just ruin Buttons race it ****ed it up..

Last edited:
Mephistopheles it would seem that we were not watching the same starting lap. Turn one was very crowded with the result that Webber had a collision causing him to not get on the throttle as soon as he would have done otherwise ; Alonso did get on the power and so collided with the back of Webber, damaging his own front wing.

When they got to turn 5(?) Button was outside Alonso, turning in to what he thought was free space ; Alonso meanwhile had a Toro Rosso coming up inside him and so did not turn in as far as Button expected resulting in a collision.

As far as I could see Alonso was involved in two incidents, both of which I would say were unfortunate racing incidents. Certainly the stewards thought this was the case. If you want to have another look go to http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b03g03h9/Formula_1_2013_The_Indian_Grand_Prix/, the Button incident was at about 1:04.10.

Well, on the first corner I think it was Raikonnen that clipped Webber and pushed him across and into Alonso taking out his front wing.

In around the sixth corner Alonso was going in side by side with... was it Ricciardo and Button cut across leaving a car's width for the two of them to share.

So....... I think that was the main reason I felt OK disputing Alonso taking out Button on the first corner

Bill Boddy - Snap! Kinda...

Webber hit the curb which threw him into Kimi and then bashed him into Alonso.

So Webber's bad start ruined a few races. I'm sure it was the teams fault though as usual.

Bill Boddy I did not say the incident was Alonsos fault and I didn't say which corner it was at, all I said was that the incident ****ed up Jensons race which GeoffP seems to believes it didn't, that is my only contention with his post which is why I only quoted that part of it...

Okay lets make it simple:

Did Alonsos contact with Jenson at whichever corner it may have been at and whomever may have been at fault ruin Jensons race?

Yes or No.....

Last edited:
Ah, OK, I misread the comment from The Artist..... Above as it does just state first lap rather than first corner.

On the plus side my comment that seems to be causing contention about Alonso not having an incident involving Button on the first corner is looking more and more robust with every post :)

The implication from the post was that Alonso was to blame and that is where I disagree as, out of all those affected I feel that he was the least to blame and therefore, owing to the damage to his wing in contact with Webber and his reported steering problems following the contact with Button you could easily claim the price he paid was far higher.

Back
Top Bottom