Grand Prix 2013 British Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

So we arrive in Northamptonshire for the next installment of the 2013 season and back in Europe for the next few months following the early season trip over the pond to Canada, an event that saw Sebastian Vettel ominously stretch his championship lead over Fernando Alonso and Kim Räikkönen to 36 points after an utterly dominant victory in Montreal.

A track steeped in history, Silverstone has been in use since the very beginning of the Formula One. Indeed, the former airfield hosted it's first British Grand Prix in 1948. Recent years have seen this historic race track come under threat of being dropped from the calendar but problems at Donington and the renovations first used in 2010 helped to secure a 17 year deal between the BRDC and Ecclestone for Silverstone's future.

Vettel has himself won here in 2009 and will seek to further increase the pressure on his title rivals. However, it has been Red Bull team mate Mark Webber who has had the upper hand over the triple world champion in Britain, having taken four straight podiums, including two wins. Red Bull maestro Adrian Newey has himself had 12 wins here as a designer since 1991 (possibly 13 if you include 1997) but he should perhaps let his pilots do the driving here at Silverstone :)

Alonso, who has shared the podium with the Red Bulls in the last two years, has also traditionally ran well round Silverstone, with wins in 2006 and 2011 and three second places in 2005, 2007 and 2012. He will not want to ruin this record and, following his strong damage-limitation race in Canada, fall further behind Vettel in the championship. His Ferrari teammate Felipe Massa has, by contrast, never finished in the top 3 here and has often struggled, particularly his 5 spin nightmare in 2008.

Following the storm of controversy over 'Pirelli-gate'/'secret-tyre-test-gate', Mercedes followed up their victory in Monaco with a solid 3rd and 5th in Canada. Lewis Hamilton keeps picking up the points to stay distantly in touch with Vettel and will be hoping for another strong performance at his home Grand Prix. Perhaps his most dominant victory was here in 2008 with podiums in 2007 and 2010 but he has struggled in the last couple of years. Nico Rosberg has only finished on the podium once here in 2010. Silverstone will certainly test whether Mercedes have gained anything from Barcelona.

After a promising start to the season, Lotus have found themselves struggling of late. Worryingly, Räikkönen has only scored 3 points in the last two races, one due to a collision and the other due to poor strategy choice but he can break the points streak record here at Silverstone. Kimi won here in 2007 and has scored four other podiums so he also has a good record in Britain. His Lotus partner, Romain Grosjean has to start performing (and not mounting other cars!) or his race seat could be under threat. His only outing here was last year but he scored a solid 6th place despite an early front wing change following contact with Paul di Resta.

2013's surprise package Force India continue to rack up the points. Di Resta himself has been in cracking form and his one stop race to 7th in Canada suggests that there is no wane on the horizon. He has had little in the way of luck at home having had problems in 2011 and the aforementioned early clash last year that led to his retirement from the race. Speaking of luck, his team mate Adrian Sutil has yet to find much this year (isn't that right Brogan?) although his actions in Canada were stupid at best. He has only scored once at Silverstone.

As for the rest -

Mclaren's woes continued in Canada with their long points streak coming to an end. Jenson Button has surprisingly never scored a podium here and this doesn't look like changing. Perez had a collision last year but was 7th in 2011.

Toro Rosso have looked quite racy this season and JEV coasted to a comfortable sixth place in Canada whilst Ricciardo is also showing potential. Neither finished in the points last year but have performed well in junior races.

Sauber have yet to rediscover their 2012 form and only two points finishes all season - both for Hulkenberg - is a cause for concern. The Hulk was in the points in 2010. Gutierrez has won four races at Silverstone in junior formulae (twice in 2008 Formula BMW, 2010 GP3, 2012 GP2) to suggest he could be on for his first points of the season.

Williams have yet to score this season. Maldonado has not had a good season and his F1 form at Silverstone leaves much to be desired. Despite a stunning qualifying performance by Valtteri Bottas at Canada, he simply went backwards in the race. He won a Formula Renault race here in 2008 but the 2013 Williams is just too poor.

Marussia seem to have a slight advantage over Caterham, and in both teams the Frenchmen appear to have the measure over their teammates.

The typical British weather could see some spanners thrown in but the safe money appears to be on another Red Bull victory. Hopefully we have race to make both championships a bit exciting. So what do you guys think? And whoever is going - have a great weekend!

Regarding the crowd reaction when Vettel retired, I'm not sure what some people expected. The world champion for the past three years, current world championship leader and race leader breaks down right in front of them and they're supposed to sit there and think "Well that certainly is interesting", make a mental note that it happened, maybe talk among themselves about it? I don't think anyone can be blamed for getting caught up in the moment. Besides it's not like crowds have that many methods of conveying emotion - it's generally making some noise or nothing.

F1, or at least some parts of the community around it seem to be in a bizarre situation where it's not acceptable to react to individual moments or events without extensive debate or without fully considering how the entities involved in the event are perceived in general by the community. In some cases it seems to be simply not acceptable at all to enjoy something. With the Vettel breakdown, most people were probably just excited at the event and the implications of it, rather than an intense dislike for Vettel.

Just to clarify I'm not trying to justify booing, which is unacceptable. Sorry for the rant, but at least it's sort of on topic.

I was just thinking about this (and thought of posting to driver of the day), not wanting to be too PC, but bearing in mind the obvious risks the drivers gave a great show with no let up on their side in making a race for the series and audience in what were very unusual and, quite frankly, unreasonable conditions.

So, I think there were 22 drivers of the day!

I cheered at the television when Vettel pulled over but not because I dislike the man or his nationality but because it was a huge relief the championship was going to be a lot closer again. I suspect that was the thought of most spectators, not many people like a runaway victor especially if the win is inherited rather than won. I have to admit I found the racing post-Vettel exit a lot more exciting than him steaming off into the distance again.
Just out of interest what sort of noise did the spectators make when a tyre blew? I know it won't have been cheering but I'm curious to the reaction. At home ours was OMG! (Except for the first blow out of Hamilton which was Bloody Hell).

Greenlantern101

It will happen because there is a strong German following and after Mercedes victory yesterday . Not running the race is a serious option.. short term solution is for Pirelli to bring their hardest tyres and the Ring is not ultra fast and sweeping like SIlverstone anyway so I don;t expect the same problems

If they are going to bring rocks to the track every week so its boring one stoppers, then limit the fuel tank size next year to 75 litres and force multiple fuel stops.

Bringing back refuelling IndyCar style is the only way, not the old pre 2010 days, because everyone would run the same strategies and Red Dull would still win.

Also no fuel map changes, right foot only to save gas.

From Mark Hughes' Autosport column - Alonso was doing 179mph when Perez's tyre failed and he generated 3.6G avoiding it.

That could have been a very nasty accident indeed. Alonso's reactions were incredible avoiding that, judging by the onboard camera feed.

Incredibly quick, and incredibly lucky. If he had decided to try the outside, he simply wouldn't have been able to avoid it. His decision to look inside was key.

I shudder to think what would have transpired had he launched over the McLaren.

It will happen

I agree it will go ahead.

The hard tyres would hopefully help. But it does appear to be, in part at least, the sharp kerbs at Silverstone that were to blame. Will the hard tyre side walls be any tougher. Will the ring have sharp kerbs. Who knows.

iJol1jBHSIZ02.gif

Incredibly quick, and incredibly lucky. If he had decided to try the outside, he simply wouldn't have been able to avoid it. His decision to look inside was key.

I shudder to think what would have transpired had he launched over the McLaren.

In Alonso's interview afterwards he stated that he'd already decided to commit to the right. I think it was almost exactly at the point he was going to twitch right for the overtake that Perez's tyre blew - a mixture of making his move/reflex at the precise moment of failure and making the choice to overtake on the right and not the left saved him from what would have been even more of an unpleasant experience!

I agree it will go ahead.

The hard tyres would hopefully help. But it does appear to be, in part at least, the sharp kerbs at Silverstone that were to blame. Will the hard tyre side walls be any tougher. Will the ring have sharp kerbs. Who knows.

Those curbs have been at Silverstone for some time now, they weren't put in for this race. So how come they haven't been a problem in the last few races? Because the tyres weren't so fragile is why not. If the curbs can shred the tyres, the tyres are no good. Simples!
I suppose you could rebuild all the circuits so that they can continue to race on crappy tyres.

That doesn't seem to be anything that anyone wants to acknowledge Pits. I've brought it up several times with nary a reply.

I'll bet Pirelli dont want it out there they they got their calculations wrong either.

Those curbs have been at Silverstone for some time now
Exactly my thoughts, Silverstone is a very "well raced" circuit and if there was anything implicitly unusual about the curbs then there would be tyre failures in all different marques all the time, which there aren't. Pirelli can't be totally blamed, though, the absence of proper testing is clearly a huge factor.

F1 cars have been bouncing across curbs for more than 60 years now without a problem, I don't buy Pirelli's pathetic excuse about the curbs causing these failures,,,,,, hang on I'm not allowed to call them tyre failures am I? My apologies Pirelli....

And even if it were the curbs cutting the tyres it is still a tyre issue as they should be strong enough to handle the curbs not the other way round....

Back
Top Bottom