Grand Prix 2013 Belgian Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

After a drawn-out summer break, where the drivers & their WAGs will have turned themselves orange, Adrian Newey et al will have flouted the factory shutdown rule, and Fernando Alonso will have groomed his frankly excellent beard/moustache combo, Formula 1 returns to the majestic, wonderful, brilliant, exciting, thrilling, fantastic Spa-Francorchamps circuit in Belgium for the Belgian Grand Prix. The longest circuit on the calendar (7.004 km, if you're interested) is packed full of character, from the tight La Source at the beginning of the lap, the (unfortunately) flat-out Eau Rouge, the double-apexed Pouhon corner and the terrifying Blachimont, all set in the middle of the forest with its own micro-climate. There was doubt a couple of years ago about the race's place on the calendar, but thankfully these have been resolved and the Belgian GP is guaranteed a spot on the calendar until at least 2015. We should hope that the teams pressure Bernie into keeping the race on the calendar, as this is a circuit that always produces a good/controversial/exciting race.
More than any other race, the Belgian Grand Prix has been hugely affected by the weather (the circuit can even be wet at one end and dry at the other), most memorably during the chaotic 1998 race where Jordan got their first (and only) 1-2, or the last-lap deluge in 2008 which featured the memorable battle between Hamilton and Raikkonen, and that stewards decision (but please try and refrain from arguing about it - the horse has been well and truly flogged).
Set-up wise, Spa is traditionally a lower-downforce circuit, although Red Bull have used a higher-downforce approach to be fast in sector 2; this has paid dividends - Vettel won here in 2011. Of course, with such a temperamental climate, any whiff of rain on race day will make the race a lottery. With the Lotii, Mercs and Red Bulls seemingly looking fast, they are the cars who you would bet your Brogans (courtesy of cider_and_toast ), for the race and with the Fewwwawi's (courtesy of Jonathan Ross) going backwards. But anything can happen in Formula 1, and it usually does.

In terms of the championship, Vettel is winning, but with the consistent Lotus Raikkonen and the seemingly tyre-issue free Mercedes, we could be in for an exciting race & exciting end to the season (well, apart from in Korea & India ;))

Spa and Monza are the last two legs of the European season, before a series of flyaway races that make up the final leg of the 2013 season and, as we saw last year, every point counts!!!

So.... Ready, Steady, Discuss!!

Last edited:
Crofty confirmed it was greenpeace trying to invade the podium. DC being a pro did not want to acknowledge that as it would make the protest a success. Vettel did seem keen to have DC point out it was not him being booed. Fair enough, but DC managed it correctly in my opinion.

siffert_fan I'm pretty sure from what the presenter on Sky F1 said that it was Greenpeace unsuccessfully trying to disrupt the interviews who were being booed.

Anyway; boring race, but a good result for Vettel and Alonso (that'll make Kewee happier).

Some odd penalties I thought. Drivers consistently going over the white lines all over the place, but only Gutierrez got a drive through for it. And Maldonado was given a stop-go when I thought the whole incident was triggered by Sutil, as Martin Brundle did.

Roll on Monza.

Strange race, not the most exciting.

I think the Merc drivers both got the absolute max out of the car they could.

Vettel was in a class of his own and clearly had the fastest car. Webber was upset on the grid about his start system, which duly let him down and put him on the back foot.

Ferraris both fast in the race, great start from Alonso.

Kimi was going well, pulling some good moves but that car looked like it had brake issues from the start. First retirement for him for ages.

The Mclarens look to have improved. Both drivers went well. I felt so sorry for Perez, I don't think he deserved a drive through, Grosjean made an error under braking, he'd have been well in the points without that. Not impressed with Sam Michael either for not supporting his driver.

Maldonado.LOLhad to be him. But to be fair I think the accident looked a lot worse than his actions, he was unlucky.

I think that's it. :)

This was the cause of booing
BShLqt6CAAE2KJb.jpg:large

What the hell were they trying to achieve? Now everyone thinks that they're just a group of deluded nutters who have nothing better to do with their time.

What the hell were they trying to achieve? Now everyone thinks that they're just a group of deluded nutters who have nothing better to do with their time.
They often ruin a perfectly valid point, so maybe everyone is thinking the right thing.

Maldonado is blaming Sutil. No surprises that he isn't taking personal responsibility, he never does but I have to admit at the time I thought (despite the spectacular way he took out pdr) that he may have been knocked off by Sutil. Either way a stop-go was too harsh. Thoughts?

Hamberg, it looked like Sutil turned in on Maldonaldo, who then tried to go into the pits, but was unaware that di Resta had managed to get alongside as well. A stop-go is very harsh for something that looked like a racing incident.

The win by 17sec's is misleading. Once Alonso knew he would be unable to fight for the win he eased off. These engines have to last for multiple GP's remember.

That's another result of the regulations I don't like. I think it's a noble cost-saving rule but it does kill the racing once the risk of losing an engine overrides the desire to overtake the car in front.

You know, I enjoyed the race. Bored by the front setting itself in concrete a little early, but even though we had DRS casting its evil shadow over the action, the tyres took a largely back seat, they were predictable and so the teams/drivers could manage their strategies...

Took half a season, but the reason every race had a three/four point hit from me seems to be getting managed at last.

Back
Top Bottom