Grand Prix 2013 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

You might remember last year's race, four times World Champion, Sebastien Vettel, started from the pit lane after not having enough fuel in his car post qualifying. He finished third and set up the chance to steal the World Title from Fernando Alonso. Kimi Raikkonen won the race, his first after returning from "sabbatical".

This year the title race is over. Vettel and Red Bull secured the title nice an early so there is only pride left to race for for the other teams. That, and several million dollars for finishing as high as possible in the Constructors Championship table. It's difficult to see past the Vettel/Red Bull combo as the race approaches. Perhaps Seb will find it in his heart to let another driver win but then, as a man driven by statistics (witness his attempts to take fastest lap in India) somehow I think he will be just as up for this race as every other.

Is it worth discussing the rest? Mercedes again qualified well in Inida but were poor in the race, a long way behind the charging Bulls. Felipe Massa is driving for a contract in 2014, perhaps he should have started a little earlier in the season? Lotus have fallen out of love with the departing Raikkonen after his shenanigans with his team mate in India so don't expect him to get much support from the team. Perhaps it's Grosjean's time for a win?

There will be other teams and drivers taking part, feel free to discuss them but I don't expect them to be much more than also-rans and mobile chicanes as the sun sets, literally and metaphorically, on the 2013 season.

Sadly, this is what happens when the WDC and the WCC is decided too soon.

Three more races to go - I'm hoping there will be races now that there are only financial scrapings left and some drivers are still looking to clinch that deal! We could even see Seb enjoying himself.

With luck, a fair wind and a degree of determination we could, perhaps, see what 2013 could have been! But I am an optimist

screenshot.15.jpg

Some mahoosive orange sausage kerbs added to make it less easy to run wide on the painted bits and rejoin unperturbed for this year. :thumbsup:

Formula 1 drivers have been warned that they risk having qualifying times disallowed at the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix if they abuse track limits at the final corner.

However, drivers will be allowed to run slightly wide, and as long as at least a part of one of their wheels is within the track confines then they will not be sanctioned.
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/111054

After watching GP3 qualifying I think F1 is going to need the services of Hawkeye very soon.

Would it not be prudent of the stewards to check the other Lotus since Kimi's apparently failed? Maybe that will happen tomorrow? Does this mean a possible DSQ or will Lotus be allowed to change floors overnight and to start from the back or pit lane?:thinking:

These and other pertinent questions may be answered ... eventually LOL

It would make sense for them to check the other Lotus but since when does F1 make sense and for Fantasy F1 reasons I hope they don't'! I imagine Raikkonen will be disqualified from qualifying and start from the back/pit lane tomorrow, I can't see any other outcome really.

RoGro failed in Hungary but he wasn't penalised due to it being damaged by the kerbs so Lotus will be hoping that's the same here or he could be sent to the back

That will get Kimi going. He doesn't like interference and could be on a charge if demoted.

Him and Nando coming from behind (sorry, no other way of puttiing it!) could be really interesting. Still an optimist :)

Back
Top Bottom