Grand Prix 2012 Spanish Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

With the flyaway races finished for the time being the F1 bandwagon rolls into Europe for the first time for the Spanish Grand Prix. Traditionally this race hasn't provided the most entertaining of races with the pole sitter more often than not going on to win the race. 2011 was no exception as pole sitter Sebastian Vettel went on to win the race, however he wasn't by any means cruising as Lewis Hamilton charged him down and almost managed to take the lead off the young German but ran out of laps as he just couldn't get into the DRS window around a track that is difficult to overtake on.

Going into this years race it is virtually impossible on who is going to win the race. So far there have been 4 different winners with Jenson Button, Fernando Alonso, Nico Rosberg and Sebastian Vettel all having stood on the top step of the podium so far this season and there hasn't been any team which has been consistently at the front at all four races with everyone having their fair share of problems and also benefiting from other peoples problems. The only truly consistent teams seem to be in the regions of midfield with teams like Williams who are now regular contenders for points after their 2012 car is proving to be far better than their dismal 2011 effort which barely managed to get a point and they have already surpassed last years total in just 4 races which isn't a bad achievement considering both drivers weren't exactly tipped for great things this season.

The buzzword at Mclaren at the moment and particularly for Lewis Hamilton is undoubtedly pit stops after a series of poor stops destroyed his race in Bahrain and also in Australia when he got caught out by the safety car. Jenson Button has also been affected by poor pit stops which show how these aren't isolated incidents and it is something that Mclaren urgently need to address as there is virtually no chance of getting on the podium let alone winning a race if they keep botching pit stops, for example, Hamilton lost well over 20 seconds from just pit stop problems which robbed them of at the very least 4th place if not a podium but this was probably unlikely given the supreme pace of Raikkonen and Grosjean in the lotus cars.

Indeed, lotus finally managed their most consistent race of the season and showed that they have designed a very fast race car as Kimi Raikkonen very nearly won his first race since returning to the sport in only his fourth race as an aggressive race saw him get within striking distance of leader Vettel but ultimately fell slightly away and had to settle for second which was still a fantastic result and with Grosjean finishing a comfortable third things are looking up for lotus going into the European season.

Barcelona is traditionally a hot and dry race although there have been wet races before although there hasn't been a rain affected race for a good number of years now. However it will be still difficult to suggest a possible winner as it depends who was the most productive at the Mugello test which starts today (Tuesday 1st May) and teams like Ferrari are banking that the raft of updates and upgrades that they will bring to the car for Barcelona will kick start their stuttering season which would be a boost for Fernando Alonso at his home race and an improved car would easily give him a good chance of a third drivers championship as he has already won a race in the below average Ferrari that is lower points at best at this moment in time but that could change for Barcelona and they will need to otherwise heads could be rolling at Maranello if Ferrari are out of the Championship before it has barely got going.

For Galahad 's brilliant circuit write up, see here http://cliptheapex.com/pages/circuit-de-catalunya/

Ah, as annoying it is working on Sundays, I've managed to avoid the results for a grand prix for a full day for the past 5 races, it's a great feeling, as I was saying in the press conference: "It was a stunning performance by me and the team, that's 5 out of 5, ara-ring-ding-raga-ding-ding!"

Well I don't think there is a question about on who the driver of the day was. It was the serial killer looking Maldonado of course, no mistakes, no lock ups, reading the race, looking after the tyres, he reminded me of the driver that was chasing him, that's how good he was yesterday. After the first four races last season, where he was ever so poor fighting with the Caterham's I thought he was a pay driver, but then his performances compared to Barrichello afterwards where surprising. That's a great result for the team and obviously for him. He was on it all weekend, topping qualifying 1 and 2, then getting 2nd or pole, whatever your take is on the situation.

Alonso did really well aswell, but how bad is that Ferrari car? That is what's puzzling me at the moment, I for one don't think it's as bad as "0.5-0.9s" as has been stated by many, that is just over exaggeration. Of course Massa isn't doing great in the other car which is puzzling, and has had the biggest gap to Alonso ever since they've been paired. I thought Alonso was going to win it when Maldonado had that slow pitstop. Some may say Alonso lost it due to Pic holding him up, but Maldonado was disadvantaged by Khartikeyan and then the slow pitstop, so I think Maldonado had it worse, yet still came out on top. But this guy (Alonso) is just relentless. "ALL DA TIME YOU HAVE TO LEAVE A SPACE!!! OK???" is certainly what Maldonado did at the start LOL

Ah now to Lotus, another missed oppurtunity for them, they certainly need to get their strategies sorted, as they've been quite shabby ever since the first race. If they want to fight for the title, then they must give their drivers the best chance, especially Kimi. Kimi was great today aswell, should have finished higher than he did, I can understand why he was disappointed, catching Alonso up to half a second after being 22-23s down in 18 laps and not having the chance to pass him or attack Maldonado? I know I would be frustrated after such an effort, the team let him down again this time.

Grosjean was just anonymous, and luckily we didn't have to see his big cheeser of a smile on the podium LOL

Kobayashi had a great race too, a saving grace for me for the Fantasy F1 league on here, pulled off the moves, 5th was probably the best he was going to get.

I'm surprised no ones mentioned Vettel apart from HammydiRestarules , I was astonished on how he managed to finish in 6th after a strange strategy, a drive through, and a new front wing change. I wonder if all the talk about him not overtaking is still going around :thinking: certainly did a lot yesterday.

Rosberg apparently had car problems,
Mercedes technical chief Bob Bell, who was heading the team this weekend in the absence of the unwell Ross Brawn, said a potential technical problem cost Rosberg downforce and made it even harder for him to look after the Pirellis.

But how do you expect a car that's one of the worst on it's tyres to have 2 long stints compared to others and survive?

Hamilton did extremely well with a 2 stop strategy and put his team mate to shade, not sure how he did it, maybe that gagdet which they introduced in testing for tyre temperatures helped. I might get slated for this, but I do think, he and Button where quite lucky to score points, well mainly Button. Not only was Button poor he finished 9th mainly due to Schumacher retiring, Perez having a puncture at the start, and Webber being really slow for 3/4 of a lap then coming in for a new front wing.

I was impressed with Hulkenberg, he was behind his team mate for most of the race, and not near the points, yet managed to snatch a point by holding off Webber who looked much faster for several laps.

Toro Rosso's just seem as if they are always fighting themselves, Vergne beats Ricciardo 4 times in a row in 5 races. I think these two need a little more time to show their worth, they've certainly been hyped a lot, but we shouldn't expect anything straight away. But their car did seem better than Force India's in the first two races.

The three lower teams just seem to be racing their team mates rather than anyone else.

As for the Schumacher and Senna incident, well they are both to blame, but I don't think Schumacher should have veered to the right.

Bringing me to another point, I honestly don't get why drivers who are fighting a losing battle, like Senna in this instance try to fight of faster cars? Not only is it pointless, it's dangerous, and more often than not we see collisions and dodgy driving, Senna really should have given in to Grosjean, luckily for Grosjean he got through with minor damage.

Less than a win seperates 1st to 7th, kind of reminds me of the 2010 season, although more exciting.

I think Red Bull were just trying to promote their product by giving their drivers "wings" in this race LOL

Well done, Slyboogy but I would just say one thing. What on earth were McLaren doing putting Button on soft tyres when everyone else was going only slightly slower on the hard compound with them lasting twice as far?

RasputinLives I haven't seen anything about it but if he did sustain any damage it may well have something to do with debris from the Senna-Schumacher incident. There was quite a bit of debris there actually, I'm surprised no-one reported driving over it.

Blimey. The "Senna-Schumacher incident".... feels a bit weird saying that for someone who was around back in the day...

Lotus have apparently confirmed they fitted the wrong tyres to Raikkonen's car at the first stop.

One wonders whether he would have been on for the win without that mistake?

Either way Kimi will win sometime this year i'm certain of it.

I think the team are more for getting as many points on the board in the eariler races before we get back to the normal order in the proper summer months. I reckon come Sliverstone we'll be back to normal order with Ham, But and Vettel regular vistors to the podium. Lets enjoy this mixed grid while it lasts :).

Well I hope he does, that's two missed oppurtunities now and he's done his job on both occassions, the teams let him down.

The team seems to have lost it's sharpness from 2010.

Slyboogy

I think Lotus's sharpness went last year when they'd lost Kubica. The team had high hopes for last season with him in the car, but when news broke of his crash that possibly has ended his F1 career in February last year Lotus weren't in the position to hirer a bigger name as alot of them were on contracts that weren't breakable and had to settle with Heidfeld. Rumour has it their went in for Kimi but the rally team he was driving for refused to let him free until this winter. Had Kimi been in the 2011 Lotus i think they'd have finished miles ahead of Force India. Instead they were stuck with Heidfeld and Petrov.

Still doesn't excuse them for being poor for 5 races in the strategy area, and with poor pitstops.

They've had a full season to sort it all out. They've got a good car, but they keep pissing away their chances, fair enough in Australia they were a bit rusty, but they should have told Raikkonen he had time for another flying lap plus you can blame Kimi for that a little too. Then there was the gearbox penalty in Malaysia, fair enough.

But the last 3 races they really should have sorted themselves out, infact, they've gotten worse.

I don't know if anyone else noticed this but in his first stint, didn't Jean -Eric Vergne have te hard tyre and the soft tyre on at the same time?

I'll get an image soon.

mjo I saw it too, the tyre markings were wearing away on the rear tyres of some cars. It may be something to do with the exhaust blowing, using them to heat the tyres.

Alonso did really well aswell, but how bad is that Ferrari car? That is what's puzzling me at the moment, I for one don't think it's as bad as "0.5-0.9s" as has been stated by many, that is just over exaggeration. ...

Slyboogy, The new variant of the F2012 is clearly faster than the original incarnation. 0.5 sounds like the real figure at the beginning of the season. After Spain, it seems the red car is ready for prime time. It's a little troubling what happened to the car when the GP was about to finish. Let's see if they can figure it out before Monaco.

6dae58bdb0aa2e6aea53fa84ae4d641d-getty-510879115.jpg

Back
Top Bottom