Technical 2012 regulations regarding exhaust positioning and blowing

Mercedes trying the new 2012 exhaust as well.

1321511315.jpg

Isn't this going to put the cars on even more of a knife-edge in terms or rear downforce though (If they try to blow various bits of the rear wing to stall/increase downforce on it at different speeds), if you get cross winds/real world factors/turbulence, since the exhaust gases aren't tightly controlled, we could have cars pinging off into the scenery.

Well obviously we don't know the set up's and fuel loads etc but from the times we're looking at in the Abu Dhabi test you have to say its working for Williams and given them something. Not too sure on Merc though.

Interesting article and contributions guys! I'm a non-techie so I'm just about following it.

Why don't they just make the bloody things exit behind the rear wing and diffuser and then no one can try and get any benefit from the gases? Or am I being too simplistic?

It's not like they haven't experienced this scenario before. And in this climate of cost cutting it's absolutely shocking that the exhaust positioning is not pointed upwards or sideways to prevent aero tinkering
I mean why stiffle something halfway?

You know what though... with the carbon fibre aero shield covering the exhaust, I can see winglets re-appearing on the cars around the new exit locations. That airflow is going to be another interesting angle for next year's designs.

Well the winglets around the reear of the sidepod come under differnt regulations and are banned. There were used mostly to direct the ariflow over and around the rear tyres.

Unless there is some loophole in the the new exhaust regulations (which i don't think have been put on paper yet, they wasn't last time i heard about it) what shouldn't happen.

Why don't they just make the bloody things exit behind the rear wing and diffuser and then no one can try and get any benefit from the gases? Or am I being too simplistic?

I like scarbs first illustration of it which had the exhust comeing out "behind the rear tyre and between the beam wing and the diffuser" Although i cannot find the orignal drawing looking at the rear view which shos it best.

Well the winglets around the reear of the sidepod come under differnt regulations and are banned. There were used mostly to direct the ariflow over and around the rear tyres.

Unless there is some loophole in the the new exhaust regulations (which i don't think have been put on paper yet, they wasn't last time i heard about it) what shouldn't happen

My thought was after seeing the Mercedes from this test where they have definitely sought some aero gains from the new outlet locations, where bodywork has previously been banned. I am pretty sure that teams will look to make aero gains from these protruding exhaust outlets and gain the same benfits as winglets gave them.

Back
Top Bottom