Grand Prix 2012 Japanese Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

Traditonally the title decider but now earlier on the calendar, the F1 circus rolls into Japan with the championship finely poised with Vettel closing in on Alonso despite a setback in Monza. At the moment it's a two horse race with the German and the Spaniard but don't count out Raikkonen and Hamilton just yet, The Finn's incredible consistency has meant he's third in the championship and will be there or thereabouts at the end, particularly if the updates that Lotus are bringing to Japan benefit. Hamilton is in one of the fastest cars on the grid (if not the quickest) and was robbed off a probably win (certainly at least second) in Singapore with gearbox problems and the loss of 25 points has threatened to derail his championship. With 6 races to go he's 50 points behind Alonso. The only benefit for Hamilton, and indeed Raikkonen and Vettel is that Alonso isn't in the fastest car. The only reason that Alonso has been on the podium in recent races is from DNF's from other drivers and also the sheer skill of the Spaniard to drag an average car to places it shouldn't be and that is why he's top of the championship with a reasonable margain, but it's certainly not comfortable and I expect the title to go to the final race in Brazil.

In Singapore, McLaren and Red Bull were the class of the field and I think this will continue in Japan where both teams have been traditionally strong in recent years with Red Bull winning in 2009 and 2010 and McLaren in 2011 with Hamilton taking a podium in 2009. The worrying thing for Ferrari is the hit and miss pace of Sauber and Williams as Perez took 3 points off Alonso in Monza and Maldonado could have taken the final podium place until he had to retire in what was his best drive since Spain. What's interesting also is that with the 4 drivers going for the championship, they are all from different teams and how the 'other' drivers do (Webber, Massa, Button, Grosjean) do will have a significant impact on the championship. Romain Grosjean has already managed that when he took out Hamilton and Alonso at the first corner in Belgium, this enabled Vettel to close 18 points on Alonso, something that is unlikely to happen again this season (such a big swing anyway, unless there are more DNF's).

Races in Suzuka have generally been sunny and dry, but in 2004 and 2010 qualifying was held on Sunday morning due to conditions the day before so rain isn't an impossibility although the last wet race at Suzuka was in 1995 with the last wet race of any kind in Japan being in 2007 with the downpours at Fuji which provided a classic race in the torrential rain. Ferrari will be praying for rain as generally this season it's where they've been able to maximise their car as 2 of Alonso's 3 wins have come in rain affected weekends in Malaysia and Germany. Considering the amount of wet practices/qualifying we've had this season, there hasn't been that many wet races with only Malaysia being wet (not including Monaco as it was still too dry for intermediates at the end of the race).

The Japan/Korea double header will have a big say in the title fight if nothing else than to decide if it's going to be a 2 horse fight or a 3/4 way fight. Certainly Hamilton can't afford any more DNF's and Raikkonen needs to win at some point, although a DNF or a low points score for Alonso would blow the championship wide open and this would play into the hands of Vettel who in my opinion is the favourite for the title at the moment unless Ferrari can find more pace in that Ferrari as Vettel is roughly only one wins worth of points from Alonso and he has the car and the speed to compete for the win at all remaining races. But then I think him and Hamilton are the only two capable of that, the big difference is is that Hamilton is a further 30 points down the road, it's superbly poised, a lot better than this time 12 months ago when the Championship was all but over with Vettel leading by over 100 points

Suzuka circuit write up - http://cliptheapex.com/pages/suzuka-international-racing-course/

Kamui Kobayashi and Felipe Massa may well have gone a long way to securing drives at there respective teams for next season with there performances today. A couple of things also to come out of today's race is that Alonso has to get more out of his Ferrari and not rely on other drivers making mistakes, as Red Bull seem to have got there act together now and have got a lot of momentum going into the final 5 races. Someone at Lotus has got to sit down with Romain Grosjean and tell him that he can't keep driving like an unguided missile at the start of the race. Finally if only Sergio Perez had asked his teamate how to overtake at the hairpin then he would have known that a banzai move around the outside would always end in trouble for him.

May I congratulate you on your finely tuned sense of moral outrage. However, I find it curious that you don't seem to have the same feeling towards a driver that attempted to blackmail his boss and who profited greatly from the deliberate crash of his teammate (yet I don't recall him apologizing for winning that way, or suggesting that said win be taken from him). I truly find such moral relativism breathtaking.
If you had taken the care to read and link my comments, I made it quite clear my dislike of Raikkonen has nothing to do with his driving. I simply stated I felt it was Raikkonen's fault at the start. The onus is always on the overtaking driver to make a clean pass. The stewards cut drivers a fair amount of slack at the starts, if that had happened during the race Raikkonen would probably have received a penalty. My moral outrage as you put it, is related to incidents off track and quite frankly I couldn't give a damn whether you or anyone else agrees or not. The incident with the distressed little girl was disgraceful. If you want to drag Alonso's past into the argument I can refer you to his present and ongoing work with UNICEF and his commitment to the care of children. That is a huge contrast to Raikkonen's attitude to the little girl he had contributed to knocking over and was on the ground crying her eyes out. He gave her a cursory glance and continued walking on without even considering taking a few steps back to comfort her and see if she was alright.

The onus is always on the overtaking driver to make a clean pass.
Is that why there are rules on blocking and weaving and the recently introduced rules about making one defensive move and how the overtaking driver has to be given room if their front wheel is alongside the rear wheel of the car they are overtaking?

To say that the onus falls on the overtaking driver is simplistic, naive and incorrect.

Monza would attest to that when Alonso benefitted from a drive through penalty for Vettel when he supposedly forced him onto the grass.

This is ridiculous and unwarranted character assasination. Would you be mentioning Kimi's class with this little girl if the incident with Alonso had not happened? Kimi is actually one of the calmest drivers around and not one you would associate with aggression in public, especially towards infants. There are two sides to every story. You've only told one side.

I think the difference at Monza Brogan was Alonso was already well alongside Vettel when he was forced onto the grass. As I said stewards are tolerant of drivers diving for the first corner at the starts, but at Suzuka Raikkonen was not alongside Alonso. In saying that it was still just a racing incident but one that cost Alonso dearly through no fault of his own.

This is ridiculous and unwarranted character assasination. Would you be mentioning Kimi's class with this little girl if the incident with Alonso had not happened? Kimi is actually one of the calmest drivers around and not one you would associate with aggression in public, especially towards infants. There are two sides to every story. You've only told one side.
View the video on Utube and then give me the other side of the story. It's not character assassination, Kimi was responsible for his own behavior as we all are. I don't like the man and I gave one reason why.

Can we drop the "Kimi is a child beater" stuff please as it has no bearing on the Japanese GP.

Thanks

FB

Having looked at the replay it seems like Raikkonen had all 4 wheels on the track and contact with Alonso forced him off the track

Maybe this is why Seb has been successful in Japan?

vettel-kung-fu.jpg

Back
Top Bottom