Grand Prix 2011 Turkish Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

Yes, its a tad early, but I'm not sure about being online tommorow and i'll do it now just to be safe. Well anyway, after a 3 week break, F1 roars back to life at the Tilke designed Instanbul Park circuit with the first European race of the season . F1 has been extremely unpredictable so far (apart from the pace of Vettel) and there seems no reason for this to change in Turkey barring the competitiveness, or lack of, this weekend.

Last years race is remembered for close action and fighting at the front, namely two incidents; The now famous crash between Vettel and Webber and Hamilton and Button arguing on track about who's going to win the race.

While we expect Red Bull and McLaren to pick up from where they left off in China with strong qualifying and race pace, it remains to be seen whether Ferrari can fulfill their pre season promise and finally get back to the front after 3 (or in Massa's case 2) lacklustre races. And what about Mercedes and Renault? Both teams will be aiming at the podium after strong drives this season with Heidfeld and Petrov getting 3rd places and Rosberg leading a sizeable portion in China before finishing a strong fifth behind the Red Bulls and McLarens. Williams appear to be going backwards and are now on a level with Team Lotus for pace and they will need a strong performance to banish doubts, and falling share prices. The midfield has also become increasingly conjested with Sauber, Force India and Torro Rosso fighting over the small points with the likes of Di Resta and Perez making positive early impressions with Sutil and the evergreen Barichello struggling.

At the back HRT and Virgin continue to squabble at the back with HRT finally getting their act together and posing a real problem for Virgin who have recently employed Pat Symonds to evaluate the outfit and suggest ways of improvement due to no increase in pace of their 2011 challenger and they could end up slipping behind the improving Hispania team.

Turkey has become famous for its high speed turn 8 which will no doubt help the likes of Red Bull with their *ahem* flexi-wings and it would be a foolish man to bet against a Red Bull Vettel taking pole on Saturday, but as Murray Walker said, anything can happen and it usally does, particulary with rain being forecast for the latter part of the week, we might be seeing the intermediate tyres being used for the first time this season. Tyres will again be the watch word though whatever the weather, along with marbles.

With the Turkish Grand Prix currently under threat due to rising prices and low attendance figures, this year could be the last time we see F1 cars grace the sweeping track and one of Tilkes' better tracks and if the last 3 grand prix are anything to go by, we should be in for a cracker this weekend.

For Galahad's superb circuit write up see http://cliptheapex.com/pages/istanbul-park/

Hamilton's last pit stop was 21 seconds, instead of 4 (or whatever it is).

Without that it's possible he could have challenged for third?
Especially together with the mess he made of the first lap. In the end, 4th was a pretty good salvage and with upgrades on the way there is still reason for Mclaren to be hopeful.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

But they never ever do do they?

How many times do a team ever get penalised for unsafe release? We have seen countless instances of it over the past few years and they never ever seem to get penalised... does the rule mean anything at all?
What's staggering is that the commentators were discussing the matter and came to the conclusion that Massa probably escaped a penalty because he gave the place straight back and didn't gain an advantage.

EXCUSE ME?
a) He didn't 'give' the place up, he had no choice because he was BEHIND! Even then, he was initially reluctant.
b) what has advantage to do with it? If it was dangerous it was dangerous and should have been investigated.

Ah, Race Hub, Head to Head ...... V...e...r...y... interesting. With trends like that if you want to see posters beating each other up the Autosort forum bunch must be going apeshit! I'm trying to resist the temptation to look! Maybe when there's a lull in intelligent conversation on this forum I'll have a peep to see if there's anything worth a laugh.

I enjoyed the race, but I think the DRS zone was too long this time. Even drivers with similar tyre usage were sailing past each other, often before needing to brake.

On the whole though it was good stuff. I'm slightly frustrated as I'm finding it difficult to follow (e.g. Buemi??! How did YOU get up THERE?), but that's a minor gripe.

Looks like loads of overtaking. Absolutely loads.

I enjoyed the race, but I think the DRS zone was too long this time. Even drivers with similar tyre usage were sailing past each other, often before needing to brake.

On the whole though it was good stuff. I'm slightly frustrated as I'm finding it difficult to follow (e.g. Buemi??! How did YOU get up THERE?), but that's a minor gripe.

Looks like loads of overtaking. Absolutely loads.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes, looks like those in charge of compiling CTA's overtaking statistics are gonna have to prepare for a few sleepless nights this year, doesn't it? :whistle:

I just want to say that during the race today there were moments when I was in complete awe with what some of those guys were doing - multi-tasking at 200mph and getting past the slow coach in front is no mean feat.

Artificial gadgets perhaps, but they still need the skill and focus to pull it off without mishap to themselves or others (one or two exceptions here) - just mind-blowing IMO

I just want to say that during the race today there were moments when I was in complete awe with what some of those guys were doing - multi-tasking at 200mph and getting past the slow coach in front is no mean feat.

Artificial gadgets perhaps, but they still need the skill and focus to pull it off without mishap to themselves or others (one or two exceptions here) - just mind-blowing IMO

I was saying in this in the DRS thread or whatever thread it was, it was very impressive indeed.

I think overtake of the day/year (so far) may well be Jenson sliding around the outside of Nico Rosberg. One thing you can say about the new rules, it leads to some very creative overtaking. Lewis even was trying to have a go down the inside of Jenson at turn 8. :o

I think the strategic use of KERS isn't being spoken about enough. It is not a matter of two drivers using it against each other because the front one can't know when the driver behind is using it. It is pretty much a game of bluff and double bluff, saving KERS here and there to use it later in the race.

It'll be interesting to see the strategies play out this year when we get our first safety car. We could have absolute mayhem in the pits if it is near to the end of everyones stints.

I enjoyed the race a lot there was plenty of action all through the field and the last 3 corners are one of the best overtaking sequences anywhere, up there with the Senna-S. They probably could have moved the DRS to that bridge after Turn 11 the design of the circuit with the hill up to Turn 11 made the effect of the DRS more pronounced than China.

The people who say that there's no passing in F1, well you've now got what you wanted

Greatest battle of yesterday, the both Mclaren drivers. What a battle they had with each other, phenomenal racing between the both of them.

Quite surprised about Ferrari's race pace, to bad it didn't turned out great for Massa

Ah, Race Hub, Head to Head ...... V...e...r...y... interesting. With trends like that if you want to see posters beating each other up the Autosort forum bunch must be going apeshit! I'm trying to resist the temptation to look! Maybe when there's a lull in intelligent conversation on this forum I'll have a peep to see if there's anything worth a laugh.

The Hamilton vs Button and Hamilton vs Alonso threads are almost poetic in the detail and obsessiveness

The Button fans are very funny with their straw clutching

Back
Top Bottom