Grand Prix 2011 Turkish Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

Yes, its a tad early, but I'm not sure about being online tommorow and i'll do it now just to be safe. Well anyway, after a 3 week break, F1 roars back to life at the Tilke designed Instanbul Park circuit with the first European race of the season . F1 has been extremely unpredictable so far (apart from the pace of Vettel) and there seems no reason for this to change in Turkey barring the competitiveness, or lack of, this weekend.

Last years race is remembered for close action and fighting at the front, namely two incidents; The now famous crash between Vettel and Webber and Hamilton and Button arguing on track about who's going to win the race.

While we expect Red Bull and McLaren to pick up from where they left off in China with strong qualifying and race pace, it remains to be seen whether Ferrari can fulfill their pre season promise and finally get back to the front after 3 (or in Massa's case 2) lacklustre races. And what about Mercedes and Renault? Both teams will be aiming at the podium after strong drives this season with Heidfeld and Petrov getting 3rd places and Rosberg leading a sizeable portion in China before finishing a strong fifth behind the Red Bulls and McLarens. Williams appear to be going backwards and are now on a level with Team Lotus for pace and they will need a strong performance to banish doubts, and falling share prices. The midfield has also become increasingly conjested with Sauber, Force India and Torro Rosso fighting over the small points with the likes of Di Resta and Perez making positive early impressions with Sutil and the evergreen Barichello struggling.

At the back HRT and Virgin continue to squabble at the back with HRT finally getting their act together and posing a real problem for Virgin who have recently employed Pat Symonds to evaluate the outfit and suggest ways of improvement due to no increase in pace of their 2011 challenger and they could end up slipping behind the improving Hispania team.

Turkey has become famous for its high speed turn 8 which will no doubt help the likes of Red Bull with their *ahem* flexi-wings and it would be a foolish man to bet against a Red Bull Vettel taking pole on Saturday, but as Murray Walker said, anything can happen and it usally does, particulary with rain being forecast for the latter part of the week, we might be seeing the intermediate tyres being used for the first time this season. Tyres will again be the watch word though whatever the weather, along with marbles.

With the Turkish Grand Prix currently under threat due to rising prices and low attendance figures, this year could be the last time we see F1 cars grace the sweeping track and one of Tilkes' better tracks and if the last 3 grand prix are anything to go by, we should be in for a cracker this weekend.

For Galahad's superb circuit write up see http://cliptheapex.com/pages/istanbul-park/

Hamilton's last pit stop was 21 seconds, instead of 4 (or whatever it is).

Without that it's possible he could have challenged for third?

Doubtful, without that prolonged pitstop he'd still be 15 seconds behind Alonso and he didn't seem to be catching the leading group paticularly fast.

Jru said "championship over way before the end" and that is going to be a problem if the other teams can't sort their cars out. The RBR's are said to be two years into their evolution whilst the McLaren, Mercedes and possibly the Ferrari are essentially new cars for this season. In theory the law of diminishing returns will mean less improvement for more input affecting the RBR's more so than than the others. So there is hope that the season will see closer competition as it goes on. In that hope I trust.

I suspect Webber, Alonso, and Hamilton will have quite a few scraps this year for P2.

That's the crux - challenging for P2 is the best on offer at the moment. Should we be grateful for everything that goes on behind Vettel or just enjoy the P2 battle?

That's the crux - challenging for P2 is the best on offer at the moment. Should we be grateful for everything that goes on behind Vettel or just enjoy the P2 battle?

To be honest, I think we should. We shouldn't let Vettel's dominance let us believe the racing's bad if everyone else is duelling like an offended 18th Century Frenchman.

I still don't understand why team like Torro Rosso, Williams and possibly Lotus (if their upgrade in Spain works) don't just aim to get out of Q1, in Q2 do 1 run on hard tyres and stop there. If the last 2 races have shown anything it is that saving all your tryes is the best strategy that is available to these teams seeing as they can't get clear air at the front. The only problem with this is that possibly they would have to burn a set of softs to get through Q1, but I still think this plan would work if they just did 1 run on the hards in the whole of qualifying and instead of getting a 14th place if your lucky your might just steal a point like Kobayashi did today.

If that starts happening then I can see the rules being changed very quickly.

The last thing they would want is "the show" being affected at all, which it would be if Qualifying sessions were to largely become redundant.

To be honest, I think we should. We shouldn't let Vettel's dominance let us believe the racing's bad if everyone else is duelling like an offended 18th Century Frenchman.

I don't believe the racing is bad and have acquired the happy knack of forgetting that Vettel is in the lead, but ultimately one wants to see the leader challenged and not be party to a walk-over.

So it is down to the other teams to catch and surpass Red Bull, in terms of machinery, and the drivers/teams to respond accordingly

A couple of people on TV have said that it was legal, but a) I don't believe much the TV people say, and b) I thought it was the backmarkers when unlapping themselves that could use it, not the other way round. I could be completely wrong - and probably am.

Alonso said it perfectly in his interview on the BBC forum. It's tire degradation that makes some of the passes look easy. When they're on equal tires the DRS makes for good fighting.

People (EJ) are blaming DRS for easy looking passes, when that's not really the case.

It's becoming abundantly clear that tires are the most important factor when it comes to overtaking. By far.

I would also like to say...great performance by Vettel, Alonso and Buemi. Vettel lost his updates in the crash in friday while Webber still had them. Plus Alonso, and Ferrari nice to see Ferrari on the podium...I guess I still support them a bit
t.gif
Still not as much as 98-07 annoyed me in 08 and onwards.

I feel that the DRS is a bit dangerous aswell with KERS, especially when there are 3 cars right behind each other....we saw Sutil lose control and whack into Schumacher, I am surprised there is not many incidents with it. So well done to the drivers, but I think we will see an incident with it very soon

Another great race as far as I'm concerned, I can't remember the last time we saw teammates trading positions like the Mclarens were early on.

As for the season already being over, Hamilton was written off after Spain last year, then Alonso and Vettel were written off after Belgium. It's a long season.

Another great race as far as I'm concerned, I can't remember the last time we saw teammates trading positions like the Mclarens were early on.

As for the season already being over, Hamilton was written off after Spain last year, then Alonso and Vettel were written off after Belgium. It's a long season.
Hopefully so Evil - "only" another 15 to go

Well done Seb on another flawless drive. Great effort by Alonso, shame about LH's pit-stop but as things things turned out it probably didn't make any difference to the result.

i think this race yet again confirms Red Bull's quali advantage isn't so big in race-trim, but Seb just seems able to dominate whatever they throw at him.

Can anybody stop him? You'd have to say it doesn't look likely...
Let's not forget that one person already has this season and with four races gone out of 20 19 it's still early days yet. Hamilton is currently 34 points behind Vettel, with 25 for a win. Has everyone forgotten already that Alonso was 47 points off the lead at Silverstone last year, yet went into the last race favourite for the title? And does anyone remember 2009 or is that just too far back?

Back
Top Bottom