2011 Team mates comparison - #12 McLaren

I thought Il Leone was referring to McLaren building a car capable of challenging the red bull, as I am sure all would agree, the last three seasons must have been frustrating for that reason if nothing else.

yeah that is an odd one, the general theory seems to be that Button needs a car perfectly balanced and when it is he is unbeatable and when it isn't he struggles, whereas hamilton is better at driving around a cars problems.

One of Lewis's strengths, is that he can drive around a car problem, but Jenson even when he has a car in which he feels that is perfectly balanced, is hardly unbeatable.

Rather than driving around a problem, I think Lewis is more noted for not being affected so much by what might be considered to be a problem by another driver. Lewis' style of driving is often said to be much more reactive and he'll often not notice smaller changes in balance. I think this is what they mean when they talk about natural ability, in the same vein as Ronnie O'Sullivan. However, given the huge variables in F1 outside of the cockpit this means that this particular style has the potential to be to his detriment when a cool and calculated head is required. It is in these situations that Lewis has to put his faith in the guys on the pitwall and where Jenson will put faith in himself.

When Lewis does take it upon himself to strategise his own race, he is quite capable (China 2011) but he hasn't had to learn this part of his game in the same way that Jenson has. It's a question of maturity, and Jenson is more mature through experience in years and through playing the game of attrition in the midfield for so long.

Sorry, did you just say that Lewis Hamilton is more dependent on having a good car underneath him than Jenson Button is? Because I cannot imagine where you got that idea from.
No thats not what I meant. Not at all. If anyone of those two can handle a difficult car then its clearly lewis. What I meant was Lewis' success will not be affected by Jenson Button, when he's not having the season from hell that wont be a problem. But if he doesnt have a car capable of challenging, then that will be a problem. By problem, I mean something that will hinder winning the championship.

f.

When Lewis does take it upon himself to strategise his own race, he is quite capable (China 2011) but he hasn't had to learn this part of his game in the same way that Jenson has. It's a question of maturity, and Jenson is more mature through experience in years and through playing the game of attrition in the midfield for so long.

Let's hope that Lewis never has to experience any time with life and attrition in the midfield.

Ninja, your major points are well expressed and thoughtout! :thumbsup:

Let's hope that Lewis never has to experience any time with life and attrition in the midfield.

Ninja, your major points are well expressed and thoughtout! :thumbsup:

Thanks Lewy. I think that actually Lewis has been going through this learning process for the past three years. Hopefully 2012 will be a coming of age for him. It would be a shame if such a talent were to be unfulfilled through not having been properly prepared and nurtured. He has been looked after for much of his career but whether this attention prepared him properly for the bad times, of which prior to 2009 he has very little experience of, is questionable. Hopefully his recent experiences will build on will be something he can gain from and not something that will take from him.

I thought Il Leone was referring to McLaren building a car capable of challenging the red bull, as I am sure all would agree, the last three seasons must have been frustrating for that reason if nothing else.

Yes that my point Lewis does not want to keep playing catch up to Vettel and Red Bull again nor does Jenson for that matter

But Mclaren coming out of the blocks against Red Bull will be the key upon deciding where Lewis' future is

its like Senna he spent 3 years racing against superior Williams Renaults designed by Adrian Newey so he thought if I can't beat them I must join them .

Lewis has the capability of winning multiple world titles and being the most successful British driver and one of the greats but he can't keep doing it if Red Bull are too quick for him

Also he did not manage the tyres well last year so he needs to deal with Pirellis more better to stand a chance

You mean that if Lewis doesn't have a championship winning car, then he won't win the championship? :p
Yes pretty much so. And if it keeps happenning it will annoy him. Getting beaten by Jenson wont. Because he has control over beating Jenson but not over how the car performs.

Yes pretty much so. And if it keeps happenning it will annoy him. Getting beaten by Jenson wont. Because he has control over beating Jenson but not over how the car performs.

Made worse if Vettel keeps grabbing the glory at Red Bull because Hamilton knows he can beat him and is a better racer than Vettel

I would agree. Put him in it and he'll drive the nuts off it, but I don't imagine he's much of an engineer. I think he very much relies on the rest of the team for this. It could well be his achilles heel (if we take his emotive character out of the mix).

It seems to me that the best drivers tend to have more control over how the car performs than Lewis does.
:unsure:But lewis is the best driver. He has most control over how the car performs on a given day, but I didnt mean that i meant he doesnt design and make it.

:unsure:But lewis is the best driver. He has most control over how the car performs on a given day, but I didnt mean that i meant he doesnt design and make it.

I am a Lewis fan and he is a superb driver. There are too many people more knowledgable than myself who both agree and disagree for me to say emphatically that he is the best.

I wil speculate that I don't think that he is great at setting a car up. I do think though, that he'll drive whatever you give him very fast and that this may hide some more pace that was potentially in the car. going back a few years, Alonso could not make head nor tail of any of Lewis' data whilst Lewis clearly benefitted a great deal from his... before they put the wall up.

Back
Top Bottom