Grand Prix 2011 Singapore Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

Getting closer and closer

Every time we say that Vettel won't win, he comes up trumps with a flawless performance and Monza was no different, taking pole, won the race and put a smart move on Alonso which won him the race.

Ferrari have pretty much admitted defeat and are stopping development on their frankly dissapointing 2011 car which so far has only taken one win at the rain affected British Grand Prix which was also the only track where the EBD was banned which was negatively affecting McLaren and Red Bull more than it was Ferrari. It means that Fernando Alonso will have gone 5 years without adding to his 2 world championships which he took at Renault in 2005 and 2006 and he will be more determined than ever to fix that soon. Felipe Massa looks to be just going through the motions and is a shadow of his pre 2009 self.

Jenson Button continued his strong second half of the season with a podium at Monza to further assert himself as the number one driver at McLaren, indeed his performances recently have been putting his team mate in the shade and a series of overtakes in Spa and Monza have showed that he has the mantle to be the leading driver at McLaren.

In contrast Lewis Hamilton has been somewhat troubled recently, after a crash in Spa, a spin in Hungary and just 1 podium in 8 races, he was notably less agressive in Monza, particularly when trying to overtake Schumacher who arguably should have been penalised for agressive defending which other drivers have been penalised for recently.

Apart from over agressive defending Schumacher has been driving a lot better recently and has been up at the front on a more consistent basis and surely he must be close to a podium now? Rosberg has been very unlucky recently, a good strategy in Monza was ruined when he was t-boned by the missile that was Liuzzi who was given a penalty for his spin, he claimed that he was pushed off by Kovalainen but this wasn't true and the stewards took a dim view of him.

Toro Rosso have enjoyed a very strong second half to the year with another double points finish in Monza with Alguesari continuing his Lazarus act from near expulsion to take his season total to 16, 3 ahead of his team mate Buemi who took a solitary point in the sister Toro Rosso, both will be looking to get the upper hand on each other as the season draws to a close and Riccardo in the rear view mirrors when the 2012 contracts get drawn up.

Renault showed a resurgance in Monza with Bruno Senna taking his first F1 points in 9th, he might have finished higher but he was caught up in the first corner crash which forced Petrov to retire after both cars had made it into Q3, but with Singapore being a totally different track, it will be a good test on whether the last upgrades for the car have worked.

Singapore is the first night race in F1 but apart from 2008 which was affected by deliebarate crashing and race fixing, the races have been rather dull with little action throughout the race and many fans criticising the circuit despite decent overtaking figures.

For Galahads superb write up, see here http://cliptheapex.com/pages/marina-bay-street-circuit/

Massa pretty peed off with Hamilton. And I can't say I'm surprised. He has been very unlucky this season. It seems that everything happens just after he's pitted!!

Massa pretty peed off with Hamilton. And I can't say I'm surprised. He has been very unlucky this season. It seems that everything happens just after he's pitted!!
P'raps should go for the one set of tractor tyres :)

Just watching the wrap and listening to the comments.

There was mention that Rosberg escaped penalty for a similar incident for which Hamilton was penalised.
Which incident was that?

Interesting to hear Eddie Jordan state that Hamilton shouldn't have been penalised and it was a racing incident.

Yeah I think it was a racing incident but I think he got punished coz he ruined Massa’s race by giving Massa a puncture. Rosberg shoved someone of the track but coz its all tarmac it seems to be ok but if its grass its obviously not.

There was mention that Rosberg escaped penalty for a similar incident for which Hamilton was penalised.
Which incident was that?

Interesting to hear Eddie Jordan state that Hamilton shouldn't have been penalised and it was a racing incident.

The only incident which I can remember with Rosberg was one with Perez where they hit each other but nothing serious happened.

Lewis ****ed up Massa's race, I completely understand Massa's anger and I personally feel that the penalty was justified.

Di Resta had a pretty amazing race, by the way. Definitely the driver of the day.

Which incident was that?

Rosberg challenged Perez at the first corner, although no driver came off badly in the incident, it was quite dissimilar to the Hammy incident.

well lewis did find a solution and get past massa.he didnt break any rules,so you and him moaning about it is ridiculous.
unless you think lewis should have just let massa hold him up?but why should he have?

Having got what he wanted Hamilton then complained that Alonso slowed him down on his fast lap. Maybe they should let Hamilton have ten minutes Q3a following on from Q3.

Without wanting to be too controversial - can I ask you who is your second favourite driver?
Well......I Like them all the drivers .....incl. Senna..but Nico Rosbeg...because he seems to be underestimated..he always seems to do pretty well .............but no one seems to notice!
But I have digressed from your point...obviously you are trying to make a point......
I cannot bear to see anyone one.......... or anything being put down...... by wrong doing!

Lewis was punished, rightly so. Nico avoids punishment, wrongly so. Hamilton just seemed unsighted when he was going into the apex, expecting Felipe to be slightly faster through the corner. Rosberg deliberately forced Perez off of the track, actually making contact. How is one a penalty and the other not? The only reason I can fathom is because Massa unfortunately picked up a puncture.

And poor Seb, Jenson being the party pooper and ruining his Grand Chelem. Had he scored the fastest lap it would have been two Singapore Chelems in a row...

Just watched the Rosberg incident which was mentioned earlier.

It was separate to the start and involved Rosbeg on the inside of Perez, hitting his sidepod and pushing him off the circuit onto the run-off.

The Schumacher incident was also discussed and questioned why there was also no penalty for that.

Just reporting what's being discussed on the BBC forum by Brundle at al; don't shoot the messenger.

Back
Top Bottom