2011 Pit Stop League

Discussion in 'Formula One Discussion' started by jez101, Nov 8, 2011.

1. jez101

jez101 Bookies drive nice cars because of people like me Contributor

Autosport is reporting data published by Mercedes analysing the performance of pit crews over the season. Their conclusions were

Average cumulative total for pitstop times from 17 races held so far this year relative to fastest overall time:
    1= Red Bull Racing Best
    1= Mercedes GP Best
    3 McLaren + 0.3s
    4 Force India + 0.4s
    5 Ferrari + 0.5s
    6 Renault + 0.9s
    7 Williams + 1.1s
    8= Lotus + 1.3s
    8= Sauber + 1.3s
    8= Toro Rosso + 1.3s
    11 Virgin + 1.6s
    12 HRT + 3.2s

I read "average cumulative total" as being the amount of time lost per race (3 stops at +0.1s = McLaren's +0.3s), but over on the actual Mercedes site, they describe this as a per stop figure, so this would be Ferrari losing half a second every stop.

Whichever, does anyone have any ideas what Merc & RBR do that makes them so much quicker?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to remove all adverts.
  3. Brogan

Brogan Leg end Staff Member

Featured Threads:
    I know the Red Bull crew have special gloves with laser targets on the back, which enables them to be in exactly the correct position.

red-bull-laser-target.jpg

Fenderman and HammydiRestarules like this.
  4. Galahad

Galahad Not a Moderator Valued Member

Featured Threads:
    I could more easily believe Ferrari losing 0.5s per stop than per race. I read that Mercedes were using a wheelnut with a very short thread, to reduce fitting times.

HammydiRestarules and Slyboogy like this.
  5. RasputinLives

RasputinLives Not dead Contributor

Featured Threads:
    HRT are losing 3.2s per stop!?! Blimey boys need to sort that out and Toro Rosso need to go spend sometimes with their sister team getting some tips

HammydiRestarules and Slyboogy like this.
  6. Jos the Boss

Jos the Boss Champion Elect

Im sure the mercedes boys were near or even 1st last year but many said it was because there garage was 1st in line

HammydiRestarules likes this.
  7. tooncheese

tooncheese Hans Heyer Contributor

Mercedes do something similar to gluing their wheel nuts on, saving a fraction of time.

8. Slyboogy

Slyboogy World Champion Contributor

Mercedes have some sort of wheel nut that helps them, they also have the traffic light system along with Renault, not sure why Ferrari haven't brought it back in, not as if their drivers are going to drag a fuel hose down the pitlane with them. Red Bull have a great technique which was shown on the BBC I think, the same with Force India (shown in the F1 Racing mag). Ferrari have very unique front jack which I thought was a fine piece of innovation, it seems to have been copied by another team (can't remember which), but it's quick and efficient, or maybe not, judging by their pitstop times!

Fenderman and HammydiRestarules like this.
  9. no-FIAt-please

no-FIAt-please Champion Elect Premium Contributor

Mercedes' unique wheel nut.

FB and Galahad like this.
  10. KekeTheKing

KekeTheKing Banned Supporter

Featured Threads:
    Fantasy F1 Team-mate:
    FF1 Team-mate
    Fantasy F1 Rival:
    FF1 Rival
    Interesting data. Didn't realize Mercedes were as fast as Red Bull.

Not sure I can recall seeing an HRT pit stop that didn't involve a wing change. :D

11. Brogan

Brogan Leg end Staff Member

Featured Threads:
    A bit of an old thread but it seems the best place to post this link which is a short BBC news item on pit stops, with input from McLaren and Marussia.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-20396345

no-FIAt-please likes this.
  12. sushifiesta

sushifiesta Champion Elect Contributor

Featured Threads:
    Fantasy F1 Profile:
    FF1 Profile
    Does the same data exist for 2012 somewhere?

Share This

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use it, you are agreeing to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice