Grand Prix 2011 Monaco Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well how about that then, in a similar case in 2010 the doom and gloom merchants have vanished with a cracking grand prix in Spain. With the champagne still flowing we move on to Monaco a week later.

Mclaren will be a lot happier after running Red Bull all the way to the finish at a circuit where Red Bull normally run out of sight and could be favourites going into the Monaco race. Red Bull, however, will be the team to beat after 4 wins out of 5 races with Vettel looking unbeatable at the front but Spain showed that he wouldn't have it all his own way with Hamilton chasing him all the way to the end, even if Vettel extended his ever growing lead at the top of the championship

Ferrari seemed to have dropped back again after a superb start in Spain and eventually Alonso wound up 5th. But no doubt the Scuderia will be challenging the Mclarens and Red Bulls come the Grand Prix on Sunday. Felipe Massa's early season promise has vanished and he's back to his 2010 level and his seat will be back under scrutiny if he continues this lack of speed

Michael Schumacher will have reason to be optimistic after a strong race, beating his team mate and finishing a strong 6th as he best of the rest behind the Ferraris,Mclarens and Red Bulls. Mercedes no doubt have become the 4th fastest team over Renault who are now fighting over the lower points with Sauber and Force India.

However the big question on everyones lips will be DRS which didnt help overtaking in Spain (which is better) but more importantly where it will be placed on a circuit where straight track is at a premium so safety is a concern.

HRT continue to improve and are taking the fight to Virgin which for them is a massive achievement and its not long before they overtake them while Team lotus's optimism on Saturday didn't replicate on Sunday with a DNF for Kovalainen. But on a track where they would be weak, to get into Q2 is a massive achievement.

Hope seems to have returned to F1 after a surprisingly exciting race in Spain and it seems as if the feared Red Bull domination has been alleviated by the charging Mclarens and while Monaco is never a classic due to the nature of the track, it's certainly a spectacle

For Galahad's superb write up see here http://cliptheapex.com/pages/circuit-de-monaco/

Is there anything to be said from Massa and Maldonado's point of view. Put who was right or wrong aside for a second, they could've both stayed in the race had they left space for Lewis and Pastor particularly could've picked up a much needed 7th place for Williams. They both know Lewis' aggression, they both knew he was on the inside of them. Did they cost themselves and their teams points today?

Did Hamilton?

He finished 6th? I think we've discussed whose to blame enough and haven't come close to agreement. I just thought i'd ask from their POVs. Particularly Maldonado. He must've known Lewis wasn't going to back down. Was it worth the risk?

He finished 6th? I think we've discussed whose to blame enough and haven't come close to agreement. I just thought i'd ask from their POVs. Particularly Maldonado. He must've known Lewis wasn't going to back down. Was it worth the risk?

So it's OK for Hamilton to race but not Maldonado? Even if Pastor knew Hamilton was there, he was quite within his rights to stick to his line and maybe now Lewis knows that Pastor won't back down either.

Put who was right or wrong aside for a second
I think we've discussed whose to blame enough

What is happening? :givemestrength: I didn't even mention Lewis, you did? Pastor can not control Lewis' actions. I was asking purely from Pastor's POV was there anything he could've done to bring it home in 6th or 7th. I'm guessing you opinion is no. I only ask because when Webber hit Lewis last year, Lewis was criticised slightly for not leaving enough room. On this occasion, Pastor chose to leave no room.

I actually blame Webber there, he just nose dived in, he was never going to make the corner with that speed and that line, a collision was always going to happen, he nearly did the same to Button in Spain, luckily he only touched Button a little bit.

Another thing...does anyone else find the BBC F1 forum pointless these days??? 2009-2010 it was quite informative, more information on the lower grid teams, and focused on a lot of things.

Now it's just usually Red Bull and McLaren they talk about...then a little on Ferrari and Mercedes, then back to Red Bull and McLaren.

In that Hamilton-Webber one it is very close because Lewis does try to leave room, but he probably doesn't quite leave enough. That is a driving mistake rather than one driver shutting the door on another. It is totally bizarre though that Lewis is blamed for that, which i would personally call a racing incident if it didn't make me look bias, but then today everyone says closing the door is fine, which is way worse.

I actually blame Webber there, he just nose dived in, he was never going to make the corner with that speed and that line, a collision was always going to happen, he nearly did the same to Button in Spain, luckily he only touched Button a little bit.

Another thing...does anyone else find the BBC F1 forum pointless these days??? 2009-2010 it was quite informative, more information on the lower grid teams, and focused on a lot of things.

Now it's just usually Red Bull and McLaren they talk about...then a little on Ferrari and Mercedes, then back to Red Bull and McLaren.

The content isn't as good I agree, but it was quite funny watching them drag each other into the pool in a corny way.

The content isn't as good I agree, but it was quite funny watching them drag each other into the pool in a corny way.
I think they fully deserved a dunking after their commentary today. Someone should have held their heads down for a wee while. Oh and do you think they may have pee'd in the pool?:snigger:

True that, but it's only one thing. DC the jawman was funny clinging on, as predictable as it was Eddie Jordan the owl was always going to go into the pool first.

I think it's getting too repititive, always the same interviews with the same drivers, usually the top 4 teams, and that's about it.

No mention about the bearded man, or the moose (Buemi = moose)

Going off topic but can I say how angry I was at the stupid rule that they could change tyres on the re-start! not just change tyres but they also basically rebuilt Hamilton's Mclaren. Stupid Stupid Stupid rule.

For the first time in a very long time I switched off as soon as the race was done because I felt cheated

Going off topic but can I say how angry I was at the stupid rule that they could change tyres on the re-start! not just change tyres but they also basically rebuilt Hamilton's Mclaren. Stupid Stupid Stupid rule.

For the first time in a very long time I switched off as soon as the race was done because I felt cheated

I wonder what makes that rule stand? I mean ok...if it's a wet race and it's just pouring down with rain, then yes you should obviously be able to change tyres and set up. But when it's dry?? Utter stupid....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom