Grand Prix 2011 Malaysian Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

Typical F1.
You wait months for a race and then 2 come along in the space of a few weeks.

This weekend will see the 13th race at the Sepang circuit; will it be unlucky for some?
For a most excellent circuit write-up, see Galahad's musings here, along with enough stat's and data to satisfy the most ardent of nerds: Sepang International Circuit

2009 is remembered for the later start and torrential rain which resulted in the race being red flagged after 33 laps; making it only the fifth race in F1 history to be stopped before 75% of the distance had been completed.

Ferrari and McLaren will no doubt be aiming to make it into Q2 after their amateurish mistakes last year.
With rain forecast for the weekend though, the chances of one or more of the top drivers making a mistake is fairly high.

This race is probably make or break for HRT.
If they don't manage to qualify within 107% of the fastest time in Q1 and are once again stopped from participating in the Grand Prix, then you have to assume it's all over for them.

So, lots to look forward to. Let's hope it's not a Red Bull walkover and qualifying is a lot closer than Australia.

Sorry but that really isn't the point here.
The question isn't whether Ferrari complained (which they are perfectly within their right toif they felt they had ground to), it's whether Hamilton stayed within the rule or didn't.
Personally I didn't see anything that could be deemed as "weaving" and think both penalties were ridiculous it really isn't the point here. Any team have the right to complain and often do. What matters is whether rules were broken, not whoever raised complaints.

Pit stop summary – 2011 Malaysian Grand Prix
Vettel: S S (13) S (25) H (41) 3
Button: S S (13) S (23) H (38) 3
Heidfeld: S S (13) S (26) H (39) 3
Webber: S S (10) S (22) H (32) H (43) 4
Massa: S S (13) S (27) H (38) 3
Alonso: S S (14) S (26) H (41) H (46) 4
Hamilton: S S (12) H (24) H (37) H (52) 4
Kobayashi: S S (17) H (36) 2
Schumacher: S S (14) S (28) H (42) 3
Di Resta: S S (11) S (24) H (37) 3
Sutil: S S (3) H (16) S (32) 3
Rosberg: S S (15) S (29) H (40) 3
Buemi: S S (15) DT (20) H (32) 3
Alguersuari: S S (16) H (32) 2
Kovalainen: S S (15) H (34) 2
Glock: S S (17) H (34) 2
Petrov: S S (15) H (27) H (44) 3
Liuzzi: S S (17) H (38) S (44) 3
D’Ambrosio: S S (17) H (35) 2
Trulli: S S (13) 1
Perez: S S (17) 1
Barrichello: S S (3) H (17) 2
Karthikeyan: S –
Maldonado: S –

That was the funny thing about this race wasn't it? Most did three but some did two or four, and there wasn't really one tactic that emerged as the fastest overall. It almost felt as though they would have finished at the same or similar position whatever the tyre strategy was for each of them.

When it all shakes out, Incubus, I believe the 3SS was fastest, but watching out for Sauber could be wise when you get to high-tyrewear circuits.

There could be 7 pitstops at Montreal!

There could be 7 pitstops at Montreal![/quote]

-----------------------

i'm not sure about that actually. I mean we have to remember Bridgestone brought a softer-than-expected compound to Montreal last year, and they'd admitted they'd underestimated the levels of tyre wear that would take place during that race.
Montreal is fairly tough on tyres, but was never one of the toughest before last year?
I think brakes and fuel comsumption have been more of an issue at Montreal.

Another subtle twist in the McLaren Sepang saga:

Autosport said:
Lewis Hamilton tried out the new parts during Friday practice in Malaysia last week, but the team decided to stick with its earlier evolution for the rest of the event because it did not want to risk reliability problems.

If it was reliability and not performance that prompted the change then how will the cars line up in China?

How did running a different floor on Friday compromise McLarens race set up on Sunday?

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/90630

There could be 7 pitstops at Montreal!

Oh Lordy, I hope not. I'm supposed to be in the grandstands for that one... Might have to invest in a KangarooTV, or whatever they are called these days...

Having cycled the Montreal circuit quite a few times I can attest to the fact that the tarmac gets very ropey in places. The south end of the circuit, in the trees, is pretty good, but the north end, where it is more open and exposed, is fairly rotten usually. It has always been tougher than most as the surface tends to break up at l'epingle at least, and all the sliding around on chunks of loose hard core doesn't do most pneus much good.

I said as much yesterday.
The stewards only investigate if asked to, unless there is a message from Race Control stating that they are already looking at it.

Which begs the question, why didn't McLaren ask them to investigate Vettel?

Because they know the difference between having a right to do something and doing the right thing. I'd rather see them leave it than complain, I said that after oz about vettel.

The battle between FA and LH (before the collision) demonstrated in my view a strong argument against DRS.
What we were presented with was a battle between a driver whose tyres had gone and another whose DRS wasn't working. It was quite exciting while it lasted but if FA's DRS had been working he would have just breezed past in the straight and that would have been it. No battle...

From that point of view DRS is pretty bad for the purpose of exciting racing....

The battle between FA and LH (before the collision) demonstrated in my view a strong argument against DRS.
What we were presented with was a battle between a driver whose tyres had gone and another whose DRS wasn't working. It was quite exciting while it lasted but if FA's DRS had been working he would have just breezed past in the straight and that would have been it. No battle...

From that point of view DRS is pretty bad for the purpose of exciting racing....

I have to disagree with DRS being bad for making things exciting. Think Schumi and Koby fight for example. That was quite exciting imo.

And yea.. Alonso would have flown past Lewis.

Yeah I know, each case is different, but in this particular case the use of DRS would have certainly made things less exciting.

I don't know if it's been discussed already, apologies if so, but the starts of the two Renault cars were pretty stunning. Harks back to their championship years when they had the best traction control...not that I'm accusing them of anything, but they seem to have the best grasp on getting traction away from the grid.

Could be a really important factor this season if the black and gold cars are consistently up amongst the frontrunners in the early stages of races. Overall I think qualifying is much less important this season than previously, due to the tyres, but you certainly want to be out of reach of the Renaults, don't you?

I don't know if it's been discussed already, apologies if so, but the starts of the two Renault cars were pretty stunning. Harks back to their championship years when they had the best traction control...not that I'm accusing them of anything, but they seem to have the best grasp on getting traction away from the grid.
I made a similar comment on Sunday.
It looked almost like they had launch control the way they just shot forward so much quicker than everyone else.

I would even suggest that will make Vettel's job easier as all they have to do is get in front of his main rivals and it's a relatively easy lights to flag victory again.

The Renault's said to be very good on how early max torque kicks in isn't it?
That might have something to do with their starts?

In case anyone is interested this is what happened at Williams:

Rubens retired with a differential seal leak, caused by excessive slip on the differential during the lap when he had a puncture. Pastor retired with a misfire from the engine. The most likely cause of this was a faulty ignition coil, but Cosworth are still investigating this.

Back
Top Bottom