Grand Prix 2011 Korean Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

Party time has officially begun... if you are Red Bull anyway

So, its now over, Sebastian Vettel is the 2011 world champion after finishing third behind Fernando Alonso and winner Jenson Button. Vettel is not only the youngest ever world champion, but the youngest person to defend his championship after walking to the championship with (so far) a podium in every race bar one and a phenomenal record in qualifying with pole in near enough every single race.

The RB7 has no doubt been the best car of the season and has been night and day quicker than anything else on wheels. Adrian Newey must now be known as the scourge of F1 as he has designed yet another car that has won the championship but surely this has to be one of if not the best car he has ever designed as the RB7 doesn't have the fragility that has struck Newey designed cars.

For Mclaren they have finally found the winning formula again after winning a track that everyone thought Red Bull would walk, however , like in 2010 and 2009, it has come too late and has cost them a shot at the title, but Mclaren really have been Red Bulls only consistent challenger this year due to the surprise lack of speed from the Ferraris.

It hasn't been a great season for Ferrari, in pre season all the signs pointed towards a very strong year for the Scuderia, but it was apparent early on that they were only the third fastest team behind Mclaren (whose pre season was shocking in comparison). After an early season shuffle and because of new regulations they were able to win in Silverstone but that has been the only highlight for Fernando Alonso and as for Massa it has been even worse.

Going into Korea we go into the real unknown as it is unclear who has the best package suited to Korea as the only race we've had at the circuit was severely rain affected so it should be a jump into the darkness, although it will be an even bigger jump when we go to India in the not too distant future.

So congratulations Seb, who is starting to rewrite the record books almost with the ease that Schumacher did in his pomp. Eight world championships for Seb by the time he's finished?

For Galahads brilliant circuit write up, see here http://cliptheapex.com/pages/korean-international-circuit/

I did think it was an interesting moment. Mid way down the second straight, HAM has squeezed VET, leaving a cars width, no more, no less. After VET v BUT off the startline in Japan, this was noteworthy (and nice to see as Keke says).

By the time they start to turn in though, HAM has gone back to the right hand side of the track to take the normal racing line, leaving VET about three cars width, albeit on the dusty side. I did think it was quite impressive how VET managed to slow the car without locking up - on full tanks, cold tyres on the dusty side - and make a tight apex.

By the angle he took, HAM looks like he was hoping VET outbraked himself, leaving him enough room to undertake on the missed apex, but VET got his car turned, so HAM was forced to the outside and lost out.

VET then pulled out over a second before the end of the lap. I really don't know how he is able to go so quickly on the first lap of a race or after a safety car (I know a clear track helps, but the rate he is going, the second place man has a clear track too ;)). Does anyone have any ideas about where he is finding this first lap performance? I guess it's the same as qualifying, but compared to Webber, you would have to think it was something in Vettel, not the car?

As Galahad said it's pretty much the move that won him the race.

Odd how this time Vettel was able to see Button through all those first few turns but not at Suzuka...

I guess it was nicely calculated and he prepared over a few corners in addition to braking very late and being able to control the car out of the exit which is where a lot of lesser moves are lost.

He was helped immensely by Hamilton being 'fair' which unfortunately other drivers will not do as they believe it's their right of way and will happily chop into others.

It's the move that probably won the race, and given that his team mate was stuck behind the same car for twenty-odd laps without success, I think it's worthy of comment.

Without Ray here we need something to talk about.

i cant agree with that.we know mark is not vettel,and lewis had a problem with his car,which lost him some downforce.so vettel would have overtaken lewis eventually anyway.

and like brogan i didnt think the overtake was anything special,it looked pretty straight forward to me because vettel simply looked faster.both mclaren cars looked slow at the start.

I don't believe Hamilton had anything wrong with his front wing at the start, the problem was due to marbles collecting in it over the course of the race.

I also believe he was only very marginally slower than Vettel as the gap stayed to around 1 second until the first pit stops.

One of the problems was the head wind, which is why Vettel was able to close on the long straight.
Hamilton had already used his KERS by then (presumably) so had nothing to counter that with.

I thought it was a good overtake, and certainly the key moment of the race from Vettels point of view.

I would add, however, that there have been many overtakes which were better, China being a good example, and not really sure that one overtake in itself warrants a whole thread to itself.

Brogan, with my history of threads and comments it is clear who is my favourite driver (and personality for that matter). However the only reason I consider it worthy of mention is because what seemed a simpler move was described by Ant to be the best by Vettel so far.

Brogan, with my history of threads and comments it is clear who is my favourite driver (and personality for that matter). However the only reason I consider it worthy of mention is because what seemed a simpler move was described by Ant to be the best by Vettel so far.

To me, that doesn't say much. He is yet to impress me in this area of his driving.

Isn't it a bit of a contradiction, expecting a driver to progress through the field. The very fact that he is in the midfield means that either his car isnt quick enough, thus no reason to expect him to progress, or he underperformed in qualifying, which Vettel never does (atleast not worse than a couple places lost at max). Add to that the fact that nearly always the McLaren and Ferraris have higher top speeds than Red Bulls and the odds are even worse. Gone are the days when someone would qualify with a heavier load and better race strategy and so could be behind a slower car and then progress and win even without being on pole/front two rows.

Back
Top Bottom