• Vitantonio Luizzi

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Timo Glock

• Jerome d'Ambrosio

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
On balance I decided to vote for Hamilton.

I've been fairly critical of him in the past so this weekend he was pretty much flawless, having to work for the win.

Can I just say first that Adrian Sutil's victory in "Class B" and 6th place over all is worth huge acclaim.

However, Lewis Hamilton made up the difference.

Just to say, who spotted a McLaren victory in a dry race coming on Thursday evening?

Gotta be beween LH and FA and I'll go for Hamilton as he pretty much drove a perfect race to cap a great quali lap. Alonso was caught napping when Hamilton nicked the lead from him, although it might not have made that much of a difference as Hamilton was much quicker during those crucial few laps while the Ferrari again took a few laps to get its tyres into temperature, a problem that was exacerbated in the unusuakky cold temperatures this race was run at.

There are so many reasons why Hamilton is driver of the weekend but put simply his qualifying lap was perfect and his race was perfect (the overtakes on Webber and Alonso in particular were great). My vote goes to him.

Honourable mentions:

Sutil - Extracted everything possible for the car across the whole weekend and beating the Mercedes and Renault cars is a great achievement.

Alonso and Webber - It was a great battle amongst the top three and these two drove pretty much faultlessly as well.

Lewis gets my vote, specifically for the re-take of Webber in his first stint - that was a proper bit of race-driving, and happens so rarely these days. I also enjoyed it when he ran Webber out of road at turn 2

Alonso gets an honourable mention for re-taking Vettel too.

Sutil? I thought he was frankly anonymous - made a decent strategy work unspectacularly. Disappointed that Jenson had to retire just when he looked like he was coming alive in the race - 4th was only ever a very remote possibility though...

Sutil? I thought he was frankly anonymous - made a decent strategy work unspectacularly.
That's hardly his fault though, is it? What were the German TV directors thinking of, ignoring one German driver who was doing rather well in a green, white and orange car while concentrating their focus on two others in silver cars who weren't?

That's hardly his fault though, is it? What were the German TV directors thinking of, ignoring one German driver who was doing rather well in a green, white and orange car while concentrating their focus on two others in silver cars who weren't?
A fair point actually - I thought that the TV direction was quite poor during the race, as they constantly seemed to miss bits of action, or cut to it just after it had happened. It must have been tricky to follow, with so many close battles that didn't seem to come alive for many laps (Button/Petrov, Massa/Vettel, Hamilton/Webber/Alonso), but at least they had the decency to cover many of the best incidents/overtakes with extensive replays. There was far too much attention paid to the Mercedes team, though I suppose a German director was a bit spoiled for choice when it came to following local interest!

Got to be Lewis - 2nd in quali in what I believe is still the 3rd fastest car in the field and kept his cool and took his chances with a great drive in the race. Nice one Mr H.

Like everyone else lets give Sutil a mention as he just knocked those 'drop him for Hulkenberg' rumours out the park with one of his career best drives I think.

Also I'd like to give Petrov a mention for some brilliant(and fair) defensive driving. Always a hard job when your in front of faster cars and know they'll get you in the end but he made a good job of it.

All of the top 3 were in a class of their own all afternoon, but it has to go to Hamilton for a) winning and b) the move on Alonso, one lap after stopping Webber doing the exact same thing to him. I can't recall a race where three different cars were so closely competitive, you couldn't really choose between them over the course of a lap. It just came down to moves like what Hamilton pulled. His move to re-pass Webber on the pit straight was awesome, and very brave too.
Honourable mention to Sutil, kept very quiet and managed a great 6th place, and also a mention to Kobayashi, can't remember right now if he finished 8th or 9th but a great comeback nonetheless. A great grand prix, it has to be said, may it continue to Hungary. My tip, Alonso for the win :)

I just cast my vote just now. I chose Hamilton as there was no one else to choose.

Looks like it isn't even close! ;)

He was the class of the field in Qualifying 2 and Qualifying 3 and in the Grand Prix.

Mighty!

All of the top 3 were in a class of their own all afternoon

Not really. Alonso and Webber got no votes in this thread. None. The two may have been in a class of their own...but that class wasn't at the level of Hamilton's class in Saturday Qualifying and on Sunday. No way!

I was critical of Hamilton in Q3 at Monaco and in Canada...but he was perfection personified in Qually and the race at the weekend!

Not really. Alonso and Webber got no votes in this thread. None. The two may have been in a class of their own...but that class wasn't at the level of Hamilton's class in Saturday Qualifying and on Sunday.

Having read all the commenst on this thread I think most were torn between Alonso and Hamilton but, because of his qualifying lap and some of his overtaking exploits he just snuck it past Fernando. I suppose Webber wasn't likely to get many votes as he drives the Red Bull and putting that on pole isn't considered by many to be such an amazing feat. Then finishing 3rd from pole isn't really going to encourage many to support him for DotW.

Having seen the lap time comparison Bro put together there really wasn't much to choose between them - I think McLaren probably had the best strategy (take a bow Martin Whitmarsh and his team LOL)

I guess it's hard for some to believe that the Red Bull isn't the fastest "race" car any more.

In my opinion, McLaren have had the faster "race" car (which includes an effective and fully operational KERS, of course) at China, Spain, Monaco, Montreal and Germany. They were hobbled at Silverstone because of the FIA changing the rules for that race...but the McLaren is a very good "racing" car. McLaren have made some Q3 and pit strategy and pit stop blunders...but their race pace is very good. Ferrari aren't that shabby on race pace either.

Back
Top Bottom