Grand Prix 2011 British Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

In a case of after the lord Mayor's show, we are back to square one after Valencia served up another placid race with the same result - A Sebastian Vettel victory. Some people reckon that the championship will be decided at Silverstone as if Red Bull still win despite the EBD ban, that is the championship over and done with for this season, and it's hard to argue with that considering Vettel has only dropped 14 points so far this season after 6 wins and 2 second places, not even Schumacher in his 2002/2004 pomp started a season like that.

So we go to a circuit where 3 drivers hold as their home grand prix, lewis Hamilton, Jenson Button and Paul Di Resta, but the Mclaren pair go into their home race in low spirits after their update package failed to get them closer to Red Bull on a circuit where Red Bull were supposedly weaker at than other tracks, a feeling that has been reflected across the paddock with Alonso admitting that the championship was virtually over and it would be more productive to focus on 2012 and 2013.

Silverstone has recieved a massive redevelopment as part of the 17 year contract it recieved when Donnington couldn't come up with the goods to stage a British Grand Prix and the new addition this year is the pit lane complex which looks stunning and has really elevated Silverstone into the 21st century as one of the elite grand prix facilities, (and certainly one to show off to the other countries when they come here ;) )

With the rule changes this could be the most unpredictable race of the season however, as we saw in Valencia, if anyone can adapt to rule changes, it's Red Bull, Adrian Newey has often been able to pull a rabbit out of a hat when the chips are down so don't be surprised to see Vettel take his seventh win of what has been a remarkable season for the young German who has swept all before him and is now walking towards his second World Championships and joining the select few who have won back to back Championships.

It's been a curious couple of weeks for Ferrari, off the pace and then suddenly back on it in Valencia and once again (like Turkey) they are the second fastest team again when the car is in the hands of Alonso (although Massa didn't exactly have a bad race himself)

Further down the grid at Toro Rosso, Alguesari has proven a point to his critics after a points finish at his home race and his second points finish in a row, and if he wants to keep his race seat there, he needs more of where that came from as Ricciardo is no slouch and will want the second seat at Toro Rosso next year. Even Sutil in the Force India shrugged off his critics to beat his team mate to claim a handful of points to relieve the pressure on his shoulders, albiet for only a short while.

For Galahads superb circuit write up see here http://cliptheapex.com/pages/silverstone-circuit/

Yeah, i didn't see the free practise, but i watched a lap on f1 2011 and it confused the hell out of me.
So the pit entrance is now between Vale and club?

I think so, like I said, I don't know the name around the corners here :crazy:

But here goes, the start and finish/straight is just before that new quick right hander and slow section they added in last year, I know that the "Vale" bit is a chicane :thinking:

So yeah, you are right :thumbsup:

800px-Silverstone_Circuit_2010_version.png

Also on the official site: http://www.silverstone.co.uk/track/circuit-maps/grandprix-circuit/

And a PDF here: http://www.silverstone.co.uk/Global/pdf/Circuit Maps/Maps 2011/The Grand Prix Circuit.pdf

The only problem with the map of the new circuit is the start/finish line. There is a small gap between Woodcote and Copse where it used to be but none between Club and Abbey where I think that it should be now.

But then it is Silverstone so one doesn't expect it to be perfect.

Not watching the BEEB for this session, so I don't know what Teddy Kravitz has said, but in an interview with Will Buxton of SPEED, Nico Rosberg said that in between sessions they were told they can Hot-Blow the diffusers again.

Buxton also reported earlier that when Domenicali went over to see Whitmarsh, his first words were, "They're still doing it", to which Martin agreed.

Interesting, very interesting....
I have a feeling that the FIA will be paying Red Bull a visit tonight...

I am sure I heard a non-Red Bull car with the exhaust gases...think it was Team Lotus going round a corner

Buxton also reported earlier that when Domenicali went over to see Whitmarsh, his first words were, "They're still doing it", to which Martin agreed.

They can still keep doing it up to (but not including) Qualifying 1 on Saturday officially.

Plus, clarifications are being sought. Here:http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/formula_one/14076892.stm, specifically:

"The heart of the discussions is the fact that the Mercedes engine introduces fuel on the over-run - when the engine is being used for braking.

Although the ignition is retarded to some extent while this is happening, this will inevitably lead to some blowing of the diffuser, and therefore the creation of some downforce.

Renault, by contrast, does not fuel its engine on the over-run and wants to compensate by opening the throttles to a specific amount, something it says it has always done to ensure reliability."

There's more...so I suggest all CTA members read the entire contents of the link.

The more things change the more they stay the same.

Those who watched my 1981 Highlight video would have seen Alan Jones and Colin Chapman bitterly denouncing the regulation shuffle that was going on at the time.

If there isn't some sort of regulations row going on, it wouldn't be Formula One.

Not watching the BEEB for this session, so I don't know what Teddy Kravitz has said, but in an interview with Will Buxton of SPEED, Nico Rosberg said that in between sessions they were told they can Hot-Blow the diffusers again.

Wait a minute so are you saying by Rosberg being told that the off-throttle diffuser ban is going to effectively been postponed? If that is the case that it is an utter shambles. Teams have known about it coming in for a couple of months now and many have put in a lot of effort in preperation. Not only that all of the fans have been told about it again and again. If it has been banned because Red Bull are moaning at getting unfair treatment then it is a bit ridicelous that the FIA just didn't clarify this and sort it out earlier. Then again you get the feeling that Red Bull have been against the reg change more than anyone and have never really accepted it. From what the BBC is saying it sounds like they've been moaning all week.

I read in a snippet from the Autosport magazine that Red Bull were asking to have between 25 - 30% off-throttle cold blowing still allowed. They are essentially trying to keep things how they are for them. Even though the Mercedes engines will send a little burnt fuel through to the diffuser as that is what there engine does, it won't create anywhere near the same downforce as proper intended off-throttle blowing will, especially in the ballpark of 25 - 30%.

Back
Top Bottom