Grand Prix 2011 Australian Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

And so finally it's here.

After the recent events in Bahrain the delayed 2011 Formula One season is underway this weekend in Melbourne, Australia.

For the history of the event and the circuit information, click on the link below:

Melbourne Grand Prix Circuit (Albert Park) | Clip The Apex

As we stand on the brink of the new F1 season there are many un-answered questions. How will the new tyres effect each team? who will find the right package from the off? and many others.

Unusually for a pre-season testing period there was very little information that could be gained by F1 fans as to who would have the upper hand as the season get's underway. Mclaren appear to be struggling with their new car while Ferrari and Red Bull seem to be the early pace setters.

Williams have designed a radical new car for this season and it could mark the return to the front end of the grid for them while the jury is still out as to the performance of Mercedes and if they can make up for a lacklustre season last year. Both Rosberg and Schumacher have been positive in the press about their new car however the time sheets at the pre-season tests didn't exactly match their opinions. Renault have designed one of the more radical cars at the start of the season but without the talent of Robert Kubica the team may not get off to the start they had hoped for. Heidfeld is an experienced replacement but will he have the speed that his former team mate has?

Towards the rear of the grid, Torro Rosso look like they could be swallowed by at least two of the new teams from last season while Sauber will hope to have built on their improvment from 2010 and move towards the front end of the grid. Force India will also be hoping that a rough showing in pre-season testing will not translate in to a rough season.

Of last seasons new teams, both Lotus and Virgin have made strides forward with their 2011 challengers. The very least they will be looking for at the first race is to match the times of the cars at the tail end of Q1. HRT meanwhile, look to have produced a car that is a leap ahead on their 2010 effort but will once again suffer from a total lack of pre-season testing and from a tiny budget with which to develop the car further.

So, who is going to be quick out of the box and who is going to suffer a rude awakening with their cars? The first indication we will have will be in the small hours of Thursday night/Friday morning Uk time but we won't really know until qualification starts on Saturday.

Bring it on..................

I'm working in South Asia at the moment so the timings are just a bit too horrible to contemplate. So I reckon a nice lie in on Sat & Sun, followed by 5live on iPlayer for qualy and the race (our internet connection here ain't up to video, even if I were to somehow get past the inevitable "not available in your area" message :(), while avoiding all news sites and forums until after the fact.

Roll on the races at decent o'clock!
Jo

How many of us are going to be fighting the alarm clock and staying up for practice?

I've agonised over this one. On balance I think I'll save myself for qualifying and the race. That should mean I get an even sharper zing of excitement when I see the new cars running for the first time in battle. :)

The BBC weather forecast is for sunny intervals on Friday 16C, light rain on Saturday 16C and cloud on Sunday high of 18C.
Weather.com has light rain Friday high 18C, rain high 20C Saturday, Cloud and high 22C Sunday.

With the tyres preferring warmer conditions we need to cross our fingers the BBC are as accurate abroad as they are here at home. :clip:

Who'll be the first driver to christen F1 2011? Normally one would look to the likes of HRT, but if the Spanish team can't get its dampers through customs to a test...held in Spain...then surely the car will still be in bits for FP1...?

Thus I plump for Jeremy of the Rice Pudding (Jerome D'Ambrosio for the non-Brits out there)

Jenson Button.

McLaren have one devil of a lot of testing to do. Even if the track is wet they're still going to have to find out if all the bits they've bolted on aren't going to melt after three laps. :blink:

Gotta be pretty early on track Snowy, I'm with you - but maybe McLaren's second driver will take to the track before him!
:whistle:

I think McLaren might be setting themselves up to look a bit stupid. If I were them I'd be downplaying the potential upswing that the revisions might bring rather than claiming they'll be immediately back on the pace. It all sounds a bit desperate and PR-overdrive-ish (if that's a word, which of course, it's not)

I'm so excited (and I just can't hide it). I probably won't be able to get to sleep anyway. It's kind of obligatory to see all the new cars come out for the first practice session isn't it?

It is the official opening of the season in my eyes. It should be interesting to see if Mclaren look better than in testing. Hopefully they will get a lot of laps in today, rather than ending up stuck in the garage like usual. So excited. Just a couple hours to go.

This weekend will be the first real test of the new chat system too.
Although there were some occasions during pre-season testing when there quite a few members in there.

Hopefully the site won't crash :D

Oooo...didn't notice this feature. Will have to have a look at some point today.

I think McLaren might be setting themselves up to look a bit stupid. If I were them I'd be downplaying the potential upswing that the revisions might bring rather than claiming they'll be immediately back on the pace. It all sounds a bit desperate and PR-overdrive-ish (if that's a word, which of course, it's not)

Hmm...it does worry me they have been doing this. When you are quick, teams go into expectation management mode. When you are slow and team knows it, they go into try to keep the sponsors happy mode.

My money's on Glock to be the 1st driver out. The Virgins have a lot to prove this season. Only 2 hours left to go! If I'm
still awake (not sure what happened to my early night) I'll be watching from my laptop!

Back
Top Bottom