Except he wasn't in the best car, Webber was

Guess who got fastest lap?

Can only win from the front? He wasn't in front, Seb was

Cant win without best car? He has won the WC without having the best car

But you are right, foolish questions

1. D'ambrosio?
2. Yes for all of one corner
3. No he didn't

but I think Siffet Fan's point was that all of these thing are usually levelled at Vettel but when it comes to other drivers its ignored or excuses are made. You might have just proved him right.

its that double edged sword again.

I am not saying that there is truth in the statements were they applied to Vettel but there is little evidence to the contrary.

I've always found it very amusing that Vettel gets that criticism. Only in the UK could we make 'always being at the front' into a criticism.

I've always found it very amusing that Vettel gets that criticism. Only in the UK could we make 'always being at the front' into a criticism.

Which is why you won't find me doing it. A criticism can be both a positive and a negative appraisal. In fact, an appraisal and a criticism are the same thing. It is not possible to appraise somebody's performance in a situation if we have not seen them perform in that situation. I did post earlier in the year (can't remember which race) a negative criticism of Vettel's ability to win from behind and his ability to hold it together when under true pressure. This was based on events at the time where it was difficult to come to any other conclusion. If I were him I wouldn't want to be in a situation to disprove my detractors. It is to his credit that he does not often find himself in this situation. It is to his discredit that when he has, we have often not seen a decent rebuttal. I'll give him Monza on Nando. This went a long way to providing the evidence which is so lacking of Vettel as a "complete" driver.

(Mods, if you feel this is off topic, please move rather than delete)

1. D'ambrosio?
2. Yes for all of one corner
3. No he didn't

but I think Siffet Fan's point was that all of these thing are usually levelled at Vettel but when it comes to other drivers its ignored or excuses are made. You might have just proved him right.

its that double edged sword again.

If these things were levelled at vettel, they would be equally foolish

Vettel has won without having the best car

Vettel has won without starting first

He can and has overtaken when he has to

He doesnt need to prove himself to any spectators, neither does Lewis, winning is enough full stop

and siffet fan said they were foolish when he wrote them so why react like that if you think exactly the same thing as him?

As Ninja for your point about lacking evidence for Vettel as a 'complete' driver - they guy just had a season where he pretty much broke every F1 record there is whilst his team mate has not only not won a race but has only even led 2 out of 18 for a handful of laps. Ever thought that the most 'complete' driver would always make sure he was in a position to play to his strengths? as for not coming through the field thats a myth he spent a whole season doing it with Toro Rosso

Lewis. Such a relief to see him there! Excellent performance by Alonso-credit. I was hiding my face during Alonso's last pitstop-that was close, but apart from that Lewis was in control. Great to see Rosberg fired up, he often comes over as a bit too calm. And Sutil I really rate, great drive, hope they dont drop him next year, I think he's underrated.
Just a point (not sure if this is the right place to make it). I think Alonso and Vettel are flattered by their team mates poor performances this year. Not only in this race but all year. And I think Jenson's good performance this year has made Lewis' look worse.
And finally, just want to say Im not one of those spoilers or biased people who always vote for Lewis regardless, because this is the first time Ive voted. I like this thread. Its interesting to hear why people vote as they do. Its easy to see which people won't vote for Lewis however well he does, and which ones would always vote for him anyway...but its all good fun:)

You have to ask yourselves what makes the driver of the day and in my book simply winning the race isn't one of the required factors if it were then these threads would be redundant (In my view they are anyway,) for me the driver of the day was between Alonso and Button, even Sutil, Rubens and Rosberg should be considered ahead of Lewis.

Alonso for making that car go faster than it has any right too and Button for maintaining third place in a car that was sick for most of the race, despite the best efforts of Webber and Massa and unlike Lewis Button managed not to hit anyone in that situation.

Hamilton simply did what any driver at the front would do and that is do just enough to win.

Someone said earlier as a retort that Lewis wasn't at the front, yes I must say that was a marvelous pass he made on Seb at turn 3 on the first lap, driver of the day stuff in anyones book, so the other 22 drivers who also passed him should get a mention.

For me a far more pertinent question would be "worst driver of the day" and that accolade should go to Maldanado.for his glorious disobedience of the blue flags.

Maybe we should have a "poster of the thread" poll I'll nominate Brogan for saying these polls are being dropped.

Just a point (not sure if this is the right place to make it). I think Alonso and Vettel are flattered by their team mates poor performances this year. Not only in this race but all year.
But you could turn that round and say that Vettel (and Alonso to a lesser degree) has made his teammate look very ordinary.

And finally, just want to say Im not one of those spoilers or biased people who always vote for Lewis regardless...
Me neither. I'm one of Lewis' biggest fans, but I like to think that I can still be objective when voting for DOTW.
If my memory serves me right I've voted for plenty of others, including Alonso and even (draws deep breath) Michael Schumacher, in past races. And I'm pretty sure I voted for Lewis as Chump Of The Weekend at least once, when that particular poll was still running.

(holds breath waiting for Brogan to bring out voting stats to prove me wrong :unsure:)

You have to ask yourselves what makes the driver of the day and in my book simply winning the race isn't one of the required factors if it were then these threads would be redundant (In my view they are anyway,)
It's not compulsory to participate if it bores you. And anyway there is still no reason why a driver can't win the race and be driver of the weekend.

Button for maintaining third place in a car that was sick for most of the race, despite the best efforts of Webber and Massa...
Webber helped Button by a) not having the intelligence to wait for the second DRS zone before making the pass, b) having a lousy pit stop (not his fault) then 3) an inexplicable change to a 3 stop strategy. Massa helped Jenson by tailing off in the second half of the race and then spinning.

For me a far more pertinent question would be "worst driver of the day" and that accolade should go to Maldanado.for his glorious disobedience of the blue flags.
I agree there, Maldonado's driving was simply unacceptable. But the 'Chump of the Weekend' poll that he would have won hands down, is no longer being run because of the slanging matches and negativity it used to generate.

Alonso for making that car go faster than it has any right too and Button for maintaining third place in a car that was sick for most of the race, despite the best efforts of Webber and Massa and unlike Lewis Button managed not to hit anyone in that situation.

Dont mean to be pedantic, but Button did bang wheels with Webber and Webber gave him space, thats why it didnt end in tears

Button maintained 3rd place because Webbers pitcrew messed up, so cant really use that to justify the fact that he should have challenged Alonso in the weaker Ferrari instead of dicing with Webber way before his Kers issue

Hamilton simply did what any driver at the front would do and that is do just enough to win.

Someone said earlier as a retort that Lewis wasn't at the front, yes I must say that was a marvelous pass he made on Seb at turn 3 on the first lap, driver of the day stuff in anyones book, so the other 22 drivers who also passed him should get a mention.

He didnt start at the front so he was at a disadvantage initially, he could have dropped back at the start and didnt, he could have driven into Sebs wreckage and didnt. It could be argued that Lewis' good start maintained pressure on Seb contributing to his off, this cant be said for the other 22
Starting in pole you look behind, starting in second you look above and behind, so even in those 2 corners we can safely say Lewis was at a disadvantage and that he took his chance well

It would take an international debating champion to make that one stick.

Not so fast Ninja - didn;t you hear the radio transmission on the TV from Vettel? I think it went someting like this

"nin! nin! das mighty Lewis Hamilton ist coming! Das hast accidently pressed da self-destruct button instead of mein illegal turbo boost button!"

I half-regretted saying this not long after I posted it.

However, the last few pages have now strengthened my opinion.

Good the subject of who was the best or worst driver of the day/weekend can still be discussed without all the silly voting which for the most part means nothing.

Dont mean to be pedantic, but Button did bang wheels with Webber and Webber gave him space, thats why it didnt end in tears

Button maintained 3rd place because Webbers pitcrew messed up, so cant really use that to justify the fact that he should have challenged Alonso in the weaker Ferrari instead of dicing with Webber way before his Kers issue

He didnt start at the front so he was at a disadvantage initially, he could have dropped back at the start and didnt, he could have driven into Sebs wreckage and didnt. It could be argued that Lewis' good start maintained pressure on Seb contributing to his off, this cant be said for the other 22
Starting in pole you look behind, starting in second you look above and behind, so even in those 2 corners we can safely say Lewis was at a disadvantage and that he took his chance well

Did Seb have wreckage?

It would take an international debating champion to make that one stick.

At least it could be debated, whereas to argue that the other 22 drivers rate a mention would not even be tabled for discussion

Did Seb have wreckage?

Yup, his car was wrecked and bits came off it. When a car spins in front of you it can be dangerous,

Back
Top Bottom