• Vitanonio Luizzi

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Timo Glock

• Jerome d'Ambrosio

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
First of all I thought there weren't many stand outs. But then I looked again, and as usual, I saw that there was!

Alonso - out-qualified his team-mate by some margin, had a great start overtook 2 cars and finished ahead of them when he really should have finished behind him, and above all that he pushed Hamilton to the very end.

Buemi - out-qualified his team-mate, had a good start was out-pacing Alguersuari and was comfortably in the points, but once again had to retire through no fault of his own

di Resta - On a 1 stop strategy he made it work, started 10th finished 9th.

Hamilton - won the race, held Alonso off, but think he had the better car so really didn't expect him to lose the race, beat Button comfortably KERS or no KERS he was faster than Button

Kobayashi - After a poor second half to the season, and a poor qualifying, he managed to bounce back somehow clawed a point.

Rosberg - Had a big fight with his team-mate, put in a great performance but he couldn't finish ahead of the guys in faster cars, that's mainly due to the Mercedes being not quite as good rather than Rosberg.

Sutil - Surprised he didn't get a mention at all from the commentators, out-qualified his team-mate, finished 25s ahead of him, and was running ahead of Schumacher for 1-2 stints (can't remember), surely he's worth a mention?

I think I am going to give it to Alonso.

Hamilton - However special mention to the wee Spaniard Alonso for keeping him honest all race.

'wee' LOL I thought it was just us Scots who said 'wee' hehe

Although Hamilton did absolutely brilliantly today and this was one of his best drives in 2011, I have to give it to Alonso. Everyone knew that the Ferrari was the 3rd/4th fastest car, but he finished 2nd? Absolutely amazing. Granted, he was helped by a great start, and Hamilton did drive with more speed in his pocket, but it was still an amazing drive. Any other weekend and Hamilton would have got my vote if he drove like he did today.

Hamilton drove a faultless race, but I can't quite give him it due to his Q3 lap, so for me it has to be Alonso.
So beating the Ferraris in every session, setting a Q3 lap that was second only to the season's runaway winner, then going on to perform a faultless, race winning drive, was not as good as crashing in practice, 5th on the grid and finishing second?

Has to Hamilton for this one. Pipped in Qually by Vettel but then that's been situation normal for everyone this season but Hamilton had a good two day build up to the race and made it count when it mattered. A strong controlled drive and brought home the bacon. Finally, a race that he can look back on after the season has finished, with some justified satisfaction.

So beating the Ferraris in every session, setting a Q3 lap that was second only to the season's runaway winner, then going on to perform a faultless, race winning drive, was not as good as crashing in practice, 5th on the grid and finishing second?

If Hamilton can be given credit for recovering from a bad season, I think Alonso can be offered the same credit for recovering from a bad session. Plus, he finished well ahead of two faster cars.

I'm not the only one who voted that way. In fact, adjusting for the inherent bias on this forum, it's probably neck-and-neck.

In fact, adjusting for the inherent bias on this forum
Just to put things in perspective.

DOTW.png

I just mentally filter out the spoiler votes now, whichever driver they're for.

Great drive from Lewis and Fernando, but have to give it to Button for using his head and managing to still get third despite not having KERS for half the race. Great skill to keep both Webber and Massa behind him. :thankyou:

I've gone for Fernando simply because, after watching the post races interviews, Lewis described it as his best ever win and it patently wasn't.

If Hamilton can be given credit for recovering from a bad season, I think Alonso can be offered the same credit for recovering from a bad session. Plus, he finished well ahead of two faster cars.

I'm not the only one who voted that way. In fact, adjusting for the inherent bias on this forum, it's probably neck-and-neck.
Fair point. And not that I want to go too off-topic, this being a poll rather than a debate, it was a great race (if not wheel-to-wheel) between the two former champs, and I have been very pleased to see the apparently genuine mutual respect between them.

Back
Top Bottom