Grand Prix 2010 German Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

We've now passed the mid point of the season and it certainly appears to be turning into a four horse race between the Red Bulls and the McLarens. Arriving in Hockenheim there are several questions between these two teams that need to be answered and it will be interesting come Friday morning to see how the weekend will play out.

The track suits cars that have excellent grip and balance between downforce and straight line speed. To that end you have to say that the Red Bulls are the best prepared cars to meet this challenge but how will the team be effected by the continued friction in the camp? McLaren's upgrades at Silverstone were almost a complete disaster and seriously effected their weekend. In the interim two week gap have their computers managed to sort out the blown diffuser or will they risk not using it and concede a small advantage to the RBRs?

Ferrari and Mercedes have to come good this weekend. Ferrari had another weekend they would want to forget in Silverstone. Despite the issues that Alonso had with penalties the car did show some signs of pace but once again his temperament was called into question while his team mate slips further into mediocrity. Will Massa slide further into the midfield or will he wake up? Rosberg keeps plugging away for Mercedes but the team still need to find a big improvement if it hopes to compete for wins by the end of the season. They have all the right ingredients but still can't seem to make a decent cake. As an all German team in owner and drivers there will be no hiding at Hockenheim.

The midfield has already been wonderfully summarised in TBY's post but it's fair to say that Williams, BMW Sauber and Force India will be fighting it out for the last points paying positions here. The improvement of both Williams and Sauber has been impressive in the last few races especially after both teams had an appalling start to their season. Obviously with both Hulkenburg and Sutil on home soil they will be looking to impress here. Due to the two different tyres being provided by Bridgestone this weekend Force India have deceided to maximise the time on track for their two regular drivers and therefore regular Friday test driver Paul Di Resta will be sitting this one out.

At the back end of the field I'm sorry to say that the three new teams will be left to scrap it out among themselves again since this track will not suit any of the new cars with their lack of downforce, mechanical grip and straight line speed. Lotus will be running Fauzy again on the Friday and I'm sure he will be praying for fewer mechanical issues than he had at Silverstone. Timo Glock is of course another driver who will be on home soil this weekend and keen to show what he can do. He split the two Loti in the time sheets over most of the Silverstone weekend and will be expected to do the same here. Much has already been written about HRTs new policy of driver swaps but Yamamoto didn't actually do that badly in Silverstone and it will be interesting given that he has now had some track time in the car to see how he compares with Senna's pace.

The two factors that will undoubtedly play the biggest roll in this weekends outcome are the weather and the tyres. All things being equal, I've got to go for a Vettel win but as Murry Walker used to say "Anything can happen in F1 and it usually does".

Re: 2010 German GP Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

The more people we can get for this site the better, the more discussions there are, the better for this site and us. (As long as there are no WUMs)

Only just watched the practice sessions.

fantastic the BBC/Crofty has finally given some credit to CTA/Galahad/everyone else for all the work done on the Overtaking thread. shame Ad had to question it tho :givemestrength:

And i would take Legard and Crofty over Allen any day, Don't think theres really anyone out there who could do a better job and both i think are pretty good, unless Murray wants to pick up the mic again.

Anyway back on track, is there anything really learnt today? i really don't think so tbh, Ferrari may be handy, McLaren should be a lot better, don't see there true pace being where it was in 2nd practice. And well unfortunately for Shumi i get a feeling that hes' not going to be 5th in qualifying, not the first time in practice hes been up there-ish in the Practice sessions and then ended up 15th in quali.

Glad im not a betting man, wouldn't really want to predict whats going too happen this weekend, although at a push i think RedBull are still the team to beat. There car still seems too good compared to everyone else, has Chandahok said, its pretty awesome that there car can still ride the kerbs even in the damp conditions

I've said all along that I expect Red Bull to have an advantage here. And from what I saw of their drivers in Practice, Mark Webber appears to have the upper hand (very slightly).

However, if this unsettled weather continues throughout the whole weekend, that will probably be music to the ears of McLaren, with both of their drivers being exceptional in the wet. It is also very likely to promote Sutil, who has an innate understanding of wet weather driving, in a none too shabby car.

Two clear minus points:
*1 Massa really struggles when it's wet
*2 In spite of a probable improvement of the Mercedes cars, Schumacher is still likely to be in Rosberg's spray…

Worst case scenario for McLaren would be a wet Saturday and a dry Sunday where they could find their EBD isnt effective compared to the other front runners and they lose valuable points to Red Bull and they will have less time to perfect it with Hungary only being a week away but a hot and sunny weekend is predicted there

I can't see anyone beating the Red Bulls again.

With the track improving all the time though it will be all about who can time their last run to the second.

Should be an exciting session.

Red Bull have the pace here but I wonder if one of them might overextend themselves and make a mistake.

I think it'll be a Red Bull pole but not a 1-2. Alonso or Hamilton to steal that front grid spot alongside the RB pole sitter.

Ferrari's new system seems to be working well, McLaren's EBD not so much.

I would say that McLaren are now firmly in 3rd place with regards to overall performance.

They'll need to make some improvements and quick if they want to stay in with a chance of either title.

I didn't see Ferraris long run pace but I fully expect the racecraft of Hamilton to shine through tomorrow, I think he can get 4th from his current position.

Great job by Alonso, Vettel almost screwed his lap up on the penultimate turn, and Button did a good job too.

Can't wait for tomorrow, get the feeling something big is going to happen.

Meanwhile Kobayashi is in a reasonable place to pick up some more points tomorrow. :)

Great to see Massa doing so well. For a number of reasons, I would love to see him get the victory tomorrow.

Enja said:

.:)

At the start I expect and it will probably involve a notorious "turner" attempting another suspect move!

I expect to see the Mclarens closer to both the Red Bull's and Ferrari's in race trim as, from what I have read, both systems of EBD are quite fuel hungry. Horner reckons their system is only worth a 1/10th, hmmm!

jenov2003 said:
Enja said:

At the start I expect and it will probably involve a notorious "turner" attempting another suspect move!

Yeah, I can see Vettel getting a bit naughty with Alonso. And if Webber gets close.. well it could all end in tears :goodday:

LOL

Normally at Hockenheim the front runners tend to get away quite cleanly but it's the midfield where the big issues will occur.

The Mercs have really got some issues this weekend. Normally you would say "Ah it's just Schumacher and he's not what he was" but Rosberg has not had the best of quallys either so you have to say that something is not right with the car.

It looks like Ferrari and Red Bull will occupy the first 4 places tommorow by the end of the race, the McLarens don't seem to have the pace of these two, they should be on the pace by Hungary as they will get a full weekend of testing unlike yesterday.

I can see Vettel's Red Bull dropping s ome places tomorrow, particularly if it's wet and sloppy Horner statements will likely follow to excuse the guy many think he is favouring.

Nice reading the topic, as always, guys. Reckon Button will stay in front of Hamilton? Personally I doubt it - I think Lewis might manage something on the first corner.

I wonder if Massa will start to get the hang of Turn 1? He seems to be having a great deal of difficulty with it, even when it's dry. But if it's wet, I can see him having some real difficulty and perhaps coming to grief. He just doesn't seem to have got things back together quite as well as one might have hoped.

Good luck Felipé.

Enja said:
jenov2003 said:
Enja said:

Yeah, I can see Vettel getting a bit naughty with Alonso. And if Webber gets close.. well it could all end in tears :goodday:

My thoughts exactly - I hope not, as I am a great fan of Alonso (I know he's a prima donna, but so are many others and it is part of the nature of being a "champion") and would like to see him do well for the next few races. There are a few drivers who could take the WDC this year and he is one of them - long way to go and would like to see how the contenders handle the prospect without resorting to "silly moves".

So hopefully a good clean race - looking forward to it.

cider_and_toast said:
The Mercs have really got some issues this weekend. Normally you would say "Ah it's just Schumacher and he's not what he was" but Rosberg has not had the best of quallys either so you have to say that something is not right with the car.

Yeah, Mercedes must be disappointed with their showing so far at their home GP, but haven't they said they are going to concentrate on the 2011 car. Or am I confusing that with another team. (Wouldn't be the first time I was wrong about something! LOL )

McLarenSupremo said:
It looks like Ferrari and Red Bull will occupy the first 4 places tommorow by the end of the race, the McLarens don't seem to have the pace of these two, they should be on the pace by Hungary as they will get a full weekend of testing unlike yesterday.

If that was the case, there'd be no point in running the race! Just run a lottery of those 4 teams and there's your race result! :)
The good thing about this season, so far, is that you just never know what'll happen... And the McLaren race pace has been good all season, so I'm still hopeful of a good showing by them. With luck!

Back
Top Bottom