Grand Prix 2010 German Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

We've now passed the mid point of the season and it certainly appears to be turning into a four horse race between the Red Bulls and the McLarens. Arriving in Hockenheim there are several questions between these two teams that need to be answered and it will be interesting come Friday morning to see how the weekend will play out.

The track suits cars that have excellent grip and balance between downforce and straight line speed. To that end you have to say that the Red Bulls are the best prepared cars to meet this challenge but how will the team be effected by the continued friction in the camp? McLaren's upgrades at Silverstone were almost a complete disaster and seriously effected their weekend. In the interim two week gap have their computers managed to sort out the blown diffuser or will they risk not using it and concede a small advantage to the RBRs?

Ferrari and Mercedes have to come good this weekend. Ferrari had another weekend they would want to forget in Silverstone. Despite the issues that Alonso had with penalties the car did show some signs of pace but once again his temperament was called into question while his team mate slips further into mediocrity. Will Massa slide further into the midfield or will he wake up? Rosberg keeps plugging away for Mercedes but the team still need to find a big improvement if it hopes to compete for wins by the end of the season. They have all the right ingredients but still can't seem to make a decent cake. As an all German team in owner and drivers there will be no hiding at Hockenheim.

The midfield has already been wonderfully summarised in TBY's post but it's fair to say that Williams, BMW Sauber and Force India will be fighting it out for the last points paying positions here. The improvement of both Williams and Sauber has been impressive in the last few races especially after both teams had an appalling start to their season. Obviously with both Hulkenburg and Sutil on home soil they will be looking to impress here. Due to the two different tyres being provided by Bridgestone this weekend Force India have deceided to maximise the time on track for their two regular drivers and therefore regular Friday test driver Paul Di Resta will be sitting this one out.

At the back end of the field I'm sorry to say that the three new teams will be left to scrap it out among themselves again since this track will not suit any of the new cars with their lack of downforce, mechanical grip and straight line speed. Lotus will be running Fauzy again on the Friday and I'm sure he will be praying for fewer mechanical issues than he had at Silverstone. Timo Glock is of course another driver who will be on home soil this weekend and keen to show what he can do. He split the two Loti in the time sheets over most of the Silverstone weekend and will be expected to do the same here. Much has already been written about HRTs new policy of driver swaps but Yamamoto didn't actually do that badly in Silverstone and it will be interesting given that he has now had some track time in the car to see how he compares with Senna's pace.

The two factors that will undoubtedly play the biggest roll in this weekends outcome are the weather and the tyres. All things being equal, I've got to go for a Vettel win but as Murry Walker used to say "Anything can happen in F1 and it usually does".

Re: 2010 German GP Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

Galahad said:

"Chad Stewarthill said:
Does anyone know how many races Lewis' current race 'box has completed?

It has done two races - Valencia and Silverstone."

Many thanks Galahad, I knew I could rely on you. Nice link to that F1Wolf.com site. :thumbsup:

As a McLaren fan I'm worried.

Funnily enough, I watched the '09 race last night on the red button, and when asked about the announcement made at the time of no-refuelling for 2010, and how drivers might have to 'look after the car and tyres rather than sprint' Martin replied (paraphrasing) 'Let them go drive elsewhere on a Sunday, the pitstop strategies creates entertainment'. I wonder if he'd like to reassess his appraisal, 12 months on.

Batman said:
As a McLaren fan I'm worried.
I wouldn't be too worried.

Lewis was using the "hard" tyre and was under half a second slower in S1, fastest in S2 but S3 is where he loses over half a second.
However, he only did 10 laps so missed a lot of valuable setup time.

I expect FP3 tomorrow we will see the McLarens move up the timesheet.

I have to say that Martin has been a bit of a disappointment in recent years, he was a breath of fresh air when he started but he has been getting more and more conservative and reactionary as time has gone by.

Radio 5 commentry is better now, particulary if they have Karun commentating when he isnt driving for HRT. (And we get mentioned :p )

Looks like I'm going to have to wear my lucky Lotus Racing - Kovi baseball cap and think extra hard tomorrow because it would appear that Virgin are back on track and really pushing. Glock putting in a lap less than 4 tenths off of the pace of the STR is pretty impressive.

I missed the second session due to traffic so I missed CTA's shout out. 'Bout bloody time we say.

Ferrari seems to have found their mojo again and Red Bull are still up there but wow McLaren, they need to sort out that blown diffuser and quick. Really interesting shots of the cars this morning when they were running in the wet, you were able to see the exhaust gasses being channelled out from the underside of the car. I wonder if it will help speed up the drying of the track in a wet / dry race ??

Wasn't Karun Chandhok a brilliant addition to the commentary team. He's a veritable encyclopaedia of F1 knowledge and I laughed when Ted in the pits challenged him with a 50 quid donation to his favourite charity if Karun could answer a trivia question. When Karun answered it easily he Ted said and what was the time? To which Karun rattled off the answer without skipping a beat. I'd love for one race weekend to hear Anthony, Karun and Crofty do the commentary on a Sunday. I'm bored of Brundle and Legard.

cider_and_toast said:
I'm bored of Brundle and Legard.

I'm amazed anyone actually listens to them. LOL

Crofty + Ant are always great whichever day of the weekend, adding Karun just makes it superb.

So it looks like Hamilton is running with the blown diffuser, presumably Button is as well?

Enja said:
Crofty + Ant are always great whichever day of the weekend, adding Karun just makes it superb.

Karun really adds to the commentry, hopefully they have him for the weekend and whenever he isn't racing for HRT. It is so much better than the TV commentry.

Enja said:
cider_and_toast said:
I'm bored of Brundle and Legard.

I'm amazed anyone actually listens to them. LOL

So it looks like Hamilton is running with the blown diffuser, presumably Button is as well?

Interesting quote by Whitmarsh on F1.com

Martin Whitmarsh, McLaren team principal
“Today’s two sessions presented difficult and changeable conditions in which to conduct the necessary tests, but we nonetheless gathered a lot of useful data that will hopefully give us good direction throughout the rest of the weekend. Clearly, Lewis’s small error this morning caused damage to his car that took a while to repair, thereby limiting his running this afternoon. In the end he went out with just 13 minutes left, and did just one run on the prime tyre. Nonetheless, he posted the seventh-fastest lap of the session and remains well placed to do a solid job tomorrow. This afternoon Jenson knuckled down to a disciplined programme of long running on heavy fuel loads, concentrating on race durability. We feel we have decent pace here - and, as I say, having concentrated largely on long running on heavy fuel loads today, will focus on qualifying practice tomorrow morning.”

If this is the case, are McLaren much faster than they seemed to be in the first 2 sessions?

RickD said:
If this is the case, are McLaren much faster than they seemed to be in the first 2 sessions?

I have to believe that the McLaren's can, and will show a good bit of improvement over the coming days and weeks. If they can get their 'Blown Diffuser' sorted out so that it shows any benefit at all, then they will be in very good shape.

They've been able to pretty much keep up with the Red Bull's on race pace without the benefit of an exhaust-fed diffuser, and if they find significant time with it bolted on, they should be running with the Bulls.

Considering that with 13 minutes to go in Practice 2 today it looked like an unmitigated disaster for McLaren and their new bits, a P7 placement on the harder tires for Lewis and a load of data gained from Jenson's high-fuel running should give McLaren fans reason to be optimistic.

The McLaren EBD is staying for the rest of the weekend.

"Jenson did quite a lot of high fuel running in P2, Lewis did not, he would have done, and Lewis did not run an option tyre either.

"And actually I have to congratulate Lewis. He was getting out there late. I was niggling the engineer to say, have a run and then come back and do an option at the end, and it was actually Lewis discipline that said in that limited time I just want to do one run on the prime tyre. He said I know when I put the options on it will be quicker, so I don't need to prove it.

"I spoke to Lewis just now and congratulated it on his discipline because I would probably have tickled him into doing a late run on the option tyre."
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/85466

RickD said:

Purely on visual evidence of watching the cars today, they looked 'planted' when it was dry. Even if it's a net gain over Red Bull of 0.1, 0.2, then McLaren should be happy.

Hi folks!
At last - I'm finally able to sit down with some free 'computer time'.

What a day. I've just got up to speed with events having had a good look at what's been written, spoken to a few people and catching glimpses of today's action whenever I got the chance. - And as ever, the most well-informed opinions are here in CTA.

I actually heard 'Crofty' mention the overtaking statistics but it was a shame Anthony Davidson inadvertently cheapened their relevance by questioning along the lines of "Are they overtakes or passes?". Nonetheless, it was good to hear some credit being given to their source at last, and reinforces my view that Galahad and Keke's collective work will soon become recognised as the definitive 'industry standard'.

Still on the subject of commentary, I must say that Chandhok was mightily impressive. He is the first person since Brundle to give me the impression that someone else could do 'co-commentary' really well. His informative, incisive, thoroughness put Davidson in the shade. Clear and concise, every word he spoke truly meant something (unlike Crofty's repetitive "err" which is beginning to drive me bonkers: e.g. "…eight double-one ERR double-one." - He's getting to be as bad as 'Err' oo does the tennis and 'A Question of Sport'). And as a final word on commentary: GET RID OF LEGARD ! >:(

… More later. For some strange reason, my blood pressure has just shot up… :thinking:

I know some people don't like Crofty's 'errs', but he more than makes up for it in my opinion.

And Sue Barker is great on QoS ;)

OK, sorry to have mentioned 'Err' in the first place. - She's not bad actually, and neither for that matter, is 'Crofty'.

Anyway, I have used the above comment to form the basis of a BBC 606 article, which serves as an advert for Clip The Apex, and has not upset their inconsistent Moderation team (at least. not yet!). http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/606/A72042806

P.S. If this comment is , I apologise. But I thought it was worth mentioning and is still a product of the German Grand Prix.

Adverts are good ;)

The way I look at it, the more people that spread the word, the more chance we have of gaining new members which means more input, more diverse opinions, more comment.

A win-win situation for all involved.

Back
Top Bottom